Nick Pope

Rich

My answer to this question since Howe arrived has been Joelinton, but I think this bloke is becoming my favourite player now.  Literally don't think he's done a single thing wrong since we signed him; not a single error. I can't think of one anyway. Was the Liverpool winner owt to do with him?

Absolutely amazing signing so far. 

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but there was at least a couple of occasions when he chipped passes past the first line of Arsenal's press. His distributing is so much better now than in August.

37 minutes ago, madras said:

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but there was at least a couple of occasions when he chipped passes past the first line of Arsenal's press. His distributing is so much better now than in August.

Agreed. Also, in spite of expectations, I don't think I've seen a single bit of footwork go wrong for him. I've been nervy a few times, but he's always handled things, to be fair to him.

On 03/01/2023 at 23:54, duo said:

Botman for me - Pope a close second.

It's Howe like, but yes Botman and Pope has been a huge part of our ridiculous defence this season.

Have we ever kept 6 clean sheets in a row before? 

I think it's nigh on impossible to say out of the back 5 who has been the most influential in the defensive brilliance this season. They all play their part in different ways, each just as important as the other. 

But saying that the entire team/squad is responsible for the defensive stats considering how high we press. Winning the ball so often in the opposition half is one of the reasons we are able to stop the opposition from having many shots in the first place.

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

It's Howe like, but yes Botman and Pope has been a huge part of our ridiculous defence this season.

Have we ever kept 6 clean sheets in a row before? 

40 years ago, I think they said. Kevin Carr was the 'keeper in the second division.

EDIT: Can always rely on .com for this sort of stuff:

"Collectively, Newcastle have managed now a sixth successive clean sheet in all competitions - something last done by a Magpies side in March/April 1982. That half dozen clean sheets all came in Division Two."

This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Pope start at the weekend, btw, it's a canny record to hold.

His saves with his feet often make you think it's straight at him.  Then you see the replay and the ball is heading towards the bottom corner.  Plenty of keepers wouldn't be reaching or reacting in time.  Or would perhaps try and get down to some of those, with the ball going under them.  

I'm biased because he's from round here and played as the same juniors club as me.  But after Alisson, who is a freak with one on ones and maybe Ederson for his all round game.  There isn't a better keeper in the league, IMO. 

His reactions to save with his feet are exceptional, his general reaction time when the ball is really close to him is the best I’ve seen for us. He just seems to instinctively move his body to cover the danger so well. Given had incredible reactions and pulled off some of the most remarkable saves but he didn’t use his body to close down the space and then instinctively move to block shots at really tight range like Pope does. Pope is genuinely a world class keeper in everything apart from kicking and technique with the ball at his feet 

On 05/01/2023 at 17:08, Rich said:

40 years ago, I think they said. Kevin Carr was the 'keeper in the second division.

EDIT: Can always rely on .com for this sort of stuff:

"Collectively, Newcastle have managed now a sixth successive clean sheet in all competitions - something last done by a Magpies side in March/April 1982. That half dozen clean sheets all came in Division Two."

This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Pope start at the weekend, btw, it's a canny record to hold.

Kevin Carr came to my junior school around 84-85. Wore the standard green keeper top all keepers had then. Decent guy from memory, drove off in a capri

Can’t be having my man on page two after yet another clean sheet. His sweeping was immense, as per, and bar that one for Trippier his quick distribution was top.

Hope he retires here after 10 seasons of service.