James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Hallelujah the realisation that he doesn’t fit in this team and would be a luxury player.

Isn’t hard working enough to play in the middle 3 and couldn’t press for toffee playing out wide.

Spuds player all day let them have him.

Strange we wanted him for ages and just decided that now.

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Hallelujah the realisation that he doesn’t fit in this team and would be a luxury player.

Isn’t hard working enough to play in the middle 3 and couldn’t press for toffee playing out wide.

Spuds player all day let them have him.

If you can get a player who'll pretty much guarantee you 20 goals/assists, you make tweaks to accommodate. 

There's a lot of people obsessed with the formation and the press, Eddie Howe has the players working on patterns within the formation, you see interchange, and all the midfielders can compliment each other. Eddie Howe talks of this the players themselves talk of this, I remember listening to Dan Burn give an interview, he mentioned, a pattern four, and only working in threes with players close to him.

How you start a game isn't how you finish it, we are not a one shape rigid side, not sure Caulkin and others get it. If Eddie Howe wants Maddison he'll have done his homework. 

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

There's a lot of people obsessed with the formation and the press, Eddie Howe has the players working on patterns within the formation, you see interchange, and all the midfielders can compliment each other. Eddie Howe talks of this the players themselves talk of this, I remember listening to Dan Burn give an interview, he mentioned, a pattern four, and only working in threes with players close to him.

How you start a game isn't how you finish it, we are not a one shape rigid side, not sure Caulkin and others get it. If Eddie Howe wants Maddison he'll have done his homework. 

Exactly this. I've just said in another thread to trust the process. They're not going to sign someone who they don't think fits.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It would be a bit of a strange move from us to sign him for big money based of Caulkins comments.

Nothing strange at all about signing someone creative when we were lacking a bit of creativity at times. Think Caulkin is talking shit. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Nothing strange at all about signing someone creative when we were lacking a bit of creativity at times. Think Caulkin is talking shit. 

Yeah but if we are basing it off his comment saying the club not thinking he is a priority then it would make no sense signing him. 

Howe could be thinking of playing a new system or atleast slightly adjusted tactic, refreshing your way of play is always somewhat needed year on year as to no be found out and predictable.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

None of our lads could press pre-Eddie.

Pressing is part of the game, but, is only effective as a unit, if one or two press in a side while others/individuals do their own thing it falls apart, hence why Howe makes sure they all adapt it into their game, it helps each player to see they're all working hard for each other and as a unit, it also brings togetherness, most good sides do this, most sides set out each week to keep it going I'd imagine, but, they're not fit enough, or individuals put themselves before the group and it breaks down. Howe has worked on this groups fitness and when mentioned earlier in the season about Isak not playing, he kept saying, Alex isn't ready for 90, his levels are not there yet, many of us were thinking there's nothing up with him, but Howe was right, he wanted each player at the highest levels so he can squeeze as much as possible out of them, having them fit enough to press to the end, there was points last season where I thought Joelinton was burnt out, but he just kept going, that lads fitness is the levels they should all get to, Bruce left these lads with depleted stamina and no desire, Howe has coached them by teaching them hard work, and how to enjoy it.

Sorry this isn't meant to be a patronising reply, [emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

Nearly a year on and I’m still underwhelmed about the Maddison links. Hope he proves my judgement massively wrong if he comes. It’s been done before ? Wouldn’t put him in elite category so gives me a bit hope we are looking for someone physically much better along with the vision and guile we require.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Nearly a year on and I’m still underwhelmed about the Maddison links. Hope he proves my judgement massively wrong if he comes. It’s been done before ? Wouldn’t put him in elite category so gives me a bit hope we are looking for someone physically much better along with the vision and guile we require.

He was 13th in the list of combined goal contributions (goals & assists) last season, I’m not sure what else he could do. Of our players only Wilson was higher then you come down to Almiron who had 6 less.

Edited by KDT

I think if the Szoboszlai link wasn't in some people's heads (me included), then we'd all still be buzzing about possibly getting Maddison.

The intrigue of the unknown is way sexier than the one we've seen doing so well in the PL each week.

41 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Caulkin said at true faith evening Maddison would be the one player he’d like the club to sign this summer when asked to name one player 

7 minutes ago, KDT said:

He was 13th in the list of combined goal contributions (goals & assists) last season, I’m not sure what else he could do. Of our players only Wilson was higher then you come down to Almiron who had 6 less.

I can’t argue with that going one way but what (those) stats never show you is how many goals and chances created for the opposition did his lack of defensive ability and discipline create? His lack of pressing and overall attitude when the chips were down has to be questioned this season also. Same goes for Barnes. It’s alright having these great attacking stats as both wide forwards but their team was getting overrun constantly.

I’ll put my argument a different way to maybe something we can all relate to on here. When we had HBA everyone wanted shot of Simpson because he wasn’t creative or as comfortable on the ball and Debuchy with all his technique and attacking stats would be perfect to work in tandem. Ultimately it was a shit show and we were constantly overrun down that side due to lack of balance physically and in discipline.

Putting Maddison in our team creates more problems than it solves IMO unless we are trying to fit him in as some kinda 10. Hope I’m proven massively wrong if it goes through but until then it’s a hill I’m happy to die alone on ?

Not fussed really if this doesn't happen. He seems labored to me like he isn't a natural athlete. He would be fine as part of a larger recruiting effort but not if we only make 2 senior signings, seems to me a DMF would be a higher priority 

If we look to sign Maddison Howe will be pretty clear where he might play and where he can adapt his role too. How he might change formation to utilise his skills in certain games breaking teams down. The level of analysis that goes into signing our players now it doesn’t concern me one iota. If he signs they’ll know exactly how they plan to utilise him.

9 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Not fussed really if this doesn't happen. He seems labored to me like he isn't a natural athlete. He would be fine as part of a larger recruiting effort but not if we only make 2 senior signings, seems to me a DMF would be a higher priority 

Not a natural athlete? Lol What exactly are you looking for? He’s a creative attacking who can pull something out of his arse to win games. Granted the discussion about whether he’s number 1 priority is a good and a separate discussion

17 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I can’t argue with that going one way but what (those) stats never show you is how many goals and chances created for the opposition did his lack of defensive ability and discipline create? His lack of pressing and overall attitude when the chips were down has to be questioned this season also. Same goes for Barnes. It’s alright having these great attacking stats as both wide forwards but their team was getting overrun constantly.

I’ll put my argument a different way to maybe something we can all relate to on here. When we had HBA everyone wanted shot of Simpson because he wasn’t creative or as comfortable on the ball and Debuchy with all his technique and attacking stats would be perfect to work in tandem. Ultimately it was a shit show and we were constantly overrun down that side due to lack of balance physically and in discipline.

Putting Maddison in our team creates more problems than it solves IMO unless we are trying to fit him in as some kinda 10. Hope I’m proven massively wrong if it goes through but until then it’s a hill I’m happy to die alone on ?

Would you be happy for ASM to have those goal outputs putting the level of defensive work in that he does? 

Leicester finished 9th, 5th, 5th, 8th in Maddison's first 4 seasons at Leicester (and won an FA Cup) - to ignore that and put their relegation last season at his and Barnes' door is about as reductive as disregarding Howe's record at Bournemouth other than the relegation season at the end. 

There were lots of things fundamentally wrong at Leicester last season - well publicised financial issues last summer, Rodgers' methods can eventually stop working as we've seen before, the managerial change was left quite late and was lacklustre, and there was a real imbalance in the squad with lack of nous and leadership towards the end. 

Maddison has been a standout PL performer for many years now and I personally don't count last season as much of a black mark against him, if at all. Would be delighted if we signed him, and trust Howe would have no issues fitting him in. 

Edited by Interpolic