James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No it's literally a joke :lol:

No, I mean the idea of clubs working in cahoots like that. I saw the talksport clip yesterday and said that was BS.

Edited by madras

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Tonali seems more like an elite Longstaff replacement/upgrade doesn't he? Still think we need another attacking midfielder personally. 

Aye they are not comparable.  We still need another player with genuine attacking quality -  someone that can open a defence. Tonali isn’t that at all excluding set pieces.  

big Joe is already #1 at LW. He’ll get loads of game time at LW or LCM anyway. 

Anderson needs to go on loan imo. He’s not ready to start 10-15 games for us.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye they are not comparable.  We still need another player with genuine attacking quality -  someone that can open a defence. Tonali isn’t that at all excluding set pieces.  

Won't Bruno have a bit of that with Tonali in the side as he can get further forward (if its a double pivot) or will be further forward if he's played as an 8.

Not sure he can be objectively criticised much for the choice. Less money, CL football next season vs more money and a fairly even chance of CL football in the future. We believe, so our subjective assessment of future CL is higher than some external assessments, given their recent history in the CL.

I wish him the worst of luck of course.  

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Don’t think we’re actually in for him despite the noise 

At the price floating around it doesn't sound like we were too bothered about him, and went for Tonali instead. If correct and Spurs got him for 40m as opposed to the 55 we were supposedly told then it looks and sounds like he's more bothered about living in London as a millionaire than living in Newcastle as both a superstar and a millionaire. Suggests he doesn't have the confidence he has the ability to be a big team influence.

There could be a million personal reasons, and yes I do think us missing out is a bit of a reality check, but if a player isn't keen on coming here it rarely works out

3 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Not sure he can be objectively criticised much for the choice. Less money, CL football next season vs more money and a fairly even chance of CL football in the future. We believe, so our subjective assessment of future CL is higher than some external assessments, given their recent history in the CL.

I wish him the worst of luck of course.  

We've moved on from that. It's now did he have the choice.

Could have been apart of our project for the next few years and been playing in the Champions League this season but he chose fucking Spurs. Hope he lives to regret it, I could see them struggling to keep up again next season. I really don't rate their squad much. 

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

Could have been apart of our project for the next few years and been playing in the Champions League this season but he chose fucking Spurs. Hope he lives to regret it, I could see them struggling to keep up again next season. I really don't rate their squad much. 

As far as we know we haven't bid for him since last summer though. The media just seem to be assuming our interest based on that old bid.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Bargain for £40m like. Hope he flops.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

40 million is a great price for him 

For us it isn’t though. His wages over 6 years are £15-18m more than ceiling. So you give that increase to several of our players to keep dressing room happy and you are talking about a player we aren’t sure wants to be in the NE or where we would play him costing us £40m fee + £60m wages + £100m wage ceiling increase and if he doesn’t fit you can’t reverse that wage structure.

13 minutes ago, madras said:

We've moved on from that. It's now did he have the choice.

People think he didn't and we weren't interested? We made an offer last year near to the 40m currently being quoted, so it looks like a choice to me. 

Just now, Adam P said:

People think he didn't and we weren't interested? We made an offer last year near to the 40m currently being quoted, so it looks like a choice to me. 

As you say, that was last year.

Think with Tonali and Bruno in midfield we are better served with another quality option that will threaten defences off the ball as well as with it. An upgrade on Miggy who we can't really expect the same output from next season, but would be an excellent bench option and wouldn't be the sort to kick up a fuss if he's not starting every week, similar to Longstaff

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye there'd be loads of scope for game time given how flexible Gordon, Joelinton and Willock are. Maddison could rotate between the AM role and either flank too in certain games. If we get Szoboszlai or similar then brilliant but I think we've missed a trick here at the price he's going for. 

2 hours ago, mattypnufc said:

Just glad I don’t have to see this thread mentioned again after this is done. 

:lol:

You’re going to be seeing a lot of ‘we should have signed Maddison man!’ when we don’t win a game or he scores a goal next season.

I can’t wait. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

:lol:

You’re going to be seeing a lot of ‘we should have signed Maddison man!’ when we don’t win a game or he scores a goal next season.

I can’t wait. 

We don't know who we are actually after yet. There will be at least one more and no one has a clue who it will be.

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

For us it isn’t though. His wages over 6 years are £15-18m more than ceiling. So you give that increase to several of our players to keep dressing room happy and you are talking about a player we aren’t sure wants to be in the NE or where we would play him costing us £40m fee + £60m wages + £100m wage ceiling increase and if he doesn’t fit you can’t reverse that wage structure.

Exactly folk are just seeing the 40 million fee it goes way beyond that. Our wages need to be kept in check until our income matches the old top 6. We’re not there yet and if Maddison downs tools after a year who the fuck is picking up those wages, it’ll hamper any squad rebuild going forward.

The club know what they’re doing and a 22 year old on 80k a week is much more where we’re currently at.

5 minutes ago, OverThere said:

We don't know who we are actually after yet. There will be at least one more and no one has a clue who it will be.

Sure, I expect another signing.

But it won’t stop what I said still happening.