James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 hour ago, OverThere said:

Which means we would have to change to 4231. Is that formation effective for the press? My concern isn't about Maddison's ability, more about how he would fit into our style of play.

Joelinton does the work of two men pal, so it shouldn't be an issue [emoji38]

Maddison will probably be fine pressing and doing all the work Eddie asks him to do if he did indeed sign for us. Just because he didn’t do something prior may not mean he’s not equipped for it. We had no idea some of our guys were so good at pressing until Eddie drilled the tactical part and the physical part into them. 

If I'm Leicester I'd be trying to get Lascelles and/or Dubravka as a player plus cash deal, the experience Lascelles has at championship level, they'd do well to enquire about a couple of ours to support their title challenge, add Anderson on loan to that.

Could easily swing Maddison coming here.

40 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

If I'm Leicester I'd be trying to get Lascelles and/or Dubravka as a player plus cash deal, the experience Lascelles has at championship level, they'd do well to enquire about a couple of ours to support their title challenge, add Anderson on loan to that.

Could easily swing Maddison coming here.

Lascelles aye. Dubravka may not be a top 6 keeper, but he should be no where near the Championship. If Pickford does go as expected I can see Everton coming in for Dubravka. 

7 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Lascelles to Leicester seems a likely move. He's from Nottingham too, which is close by and may be a factor 

I know forest are probably sick to death of NUFC cast offs by now but Lascelles genuinely is one that would make sense and be a good move, leadership material, CB was a struggle for them

last season and he could really help them re establish and consolidate as a PL club while chipping in with a few goals too

7 minutes ago, huss9 said:

we cant lose lascelles. we havent got the cover.

we're already short one CB and a couple central midfielders a the very least.

I'm in agreement with this. Lacelles comes in for a lot of stick, but when he does come in, he usually puts in a solid shift. Given he's also a good character, think it's worth keeping him around unless he wants to leave.

4 hours ago, OverThere said:

Which means we would have to change to 4231. Is that formation effective for the press? My concern isn't about Maddison's ability, more about how he would fit into our style of play.

We are going to have to evolve our game plan away from solely focusing on a high press. Particularly against teams who will rock up at St James' in a rigid low block next season. So accommodating a player like a Maddison etc, to unlock this is going to be pivotal to us continuing to improve. Just think about the majority of this years draws being turned to wins. Essentially that’s what needs to happen for us to get closer to the top 2

It's strange. This time last season when we finished 11th and were strongly linked I was very keen as it would have come across as a massive coup for where we were at the time and a big statement of intent, and while he would no doubt still improve us, I'm now kind of thinking he's 27 a couple of months after the season starts, injured for the majority of the second half of the season, and would now fall more into the expected signing bracket rather than one well above our station.

Even though I have watched Maddison a hell of a lot more, and know far more about him and his game, if it came down to either him or the Leipzig lad at 22, captaining his country (who are no mugs), supposed big dressing room leader, already multiple years of CL experience, and be more in line with the rest of our successful post takeover signings to date, then I'd go for big Dom every time, although it may be harder to actually get that one over the line.

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

If we sign a RCB, Lascelles is pretty much surplus from a playing perspective. We won't want to flog too many of the big dressing room voices at once though, especially if Ritchie is off.

Be amazed if Botman, new CB with a modicum of pace, Burn and Schär aren’t the first team CB options next year. 

Lascelles is clearly good about the camp but we need to learn how and when to sell massively and he needs first team football from his own perspective surely. He’s more than good enough for another PL move too.

9 hours ago, Kanji said:

Maddison will probably be fine pressing and doing all the work Eddie asks him to do if he did indeed sign for us. Just because he didn’t do something prior may not mean he’s not equipped for it. We had no idea some of our guys were so good at pressing until Eddie drilled the tactical part and the physical part into them. 

For all their faults, the one thing we knew was that our players for the most part were hard working and a tight knit group of players who were able to work to a specific system under Rafa. 

We see ASM is trying admirably to be a team player and follow Howes instructions, but out of all the players who's played for us this season I can't think of anyone who is worse in our team when we don't have the ball. Far from given that Maddison will be able to adopt a new way of playing. In that regard I'd say it is advantage Szoboszlai who is used to playing a high pressing system at Leipzig.

4 minutes ago, Conjo said:

For all their faults, the one thing we knew was that our players for the most part were hard working and a tight knit group of players who were able to work to a specific system under Rafa. 

We see ASM is trying admirably to be a team player and follow Howes instructions, but out of all the players who's played for us this season I can't think of anyone who is worse in our team when we don't have the ball. Far from given that Maddison will be able to adopt a new way of playing. In that regard I'd say it is advantage Szoboszlai who is used to playing a high pressing system at Leipzig.

Agree. Also will be great to see how we come up with a song for for Szoboszlai.......

20 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Agree. Also will be great to see how we come up with a song for for Szoboszlai.......

“We’ve got Dominic in the middle…”

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

it’s the same road the other way. We don’t know if Maddison can play the swarm pressing game, but if Ashworth, Eddie and Nickson want him then bang on let’s do that deal. 

Why do people think Madison can't press based on him playing in a team with a totally different play style to our own? He wouldn't be a target if we didn't think he was capable or had a plan for him. 

He's been one of the best players in the league for a few years now in a side

that should have finished top 4 twice. So the stuff about him being a big fish in a small pond etc is a bit daft too.

3 hours ago, Paullow said:

injured for the majority of the second half of the season,

From gameweek 22, he started all but 3 games, including the one against us when he was benched for tactical reasons. 

Right before that, he was out for 5 weeks with an injury, but he started 28 games last season, he definitely wasn't injured for big parts of last season. 

I can’t wait until it’s done one way or the other and hopefully it’s sorted double quick. Boring as fuck and the comments re “our boy” during the season were cringe as fuck regardless of how good you think he is or isn’t and we can all agree he’d make us a better squad.

21 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

We are going to have to evolve our game plan away from solely focusing on a high press. Particularly against teams who will rock up at St James' in a rigid low block next season.

Arguably our game plan is already evolving. We finished the season as joint top scorers in the 12-game form table, where our record was W7 D3 L2 F29 A14 GD+15. That includes Bruno carrying an injury and damp squibs against Leicester (woodwork three times) and Chelsea (reserves/beach mode).