James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yes I get that, but I'm going off the rumour he's wanted a London move from last time we made a move. I think we could match Spurs for wages anyway, it's the likes of Chelsea and City we are still a year or two off. Can't see that tight cunt Levy blowing us out of the water.

Well Kane is their top earner on £200k, so I assume Levy would be willing to match that for Maddison. No idea what we'd be willing to pay him.

37 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Really?

Better stadium, better training facilities, London, a global fanbase that dwarfs ours, arguably better squad (on paper), higher turnover, higher league positions in the last decade, higher wages etc.

Our project is more exciting but we can’t even spend as much as them on transfers due to FFP. I’ve every confidence we’ll overtake them within the next decade but 1 CL finish doesn’t make us a better proposition at this time.

If you had zero affinity to NUFC, at this point in our journey, it’d be a massive leap of faith to choose us over Spurs. In lots of ways I’m good with that; it means we get the “right” players. Attitude, application, ambition and absolutely buying into where you are playing will outweigh marginal ability. 

If Maddison prefers Spuds, let him go.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

The funny thing about this is the only Spurs player there who could tap him up seems to want to leave himself.?

I’m completely relaxed about this, if he signs then great but if he ends up at Spurs we move on. 

5 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

I'll be honest here, I can see why he'd prefer London but I don't understand the craic about their stadium being better. It looks generic as hell like every other new stadium these days.

The Spurs stadium is incredible, definitely the best I've been to. Streets ahead of anything else in the PL.

35 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Better stadium, better training facilities, London, a global fanbase that dwarfs ours, arguably better squad (on paper), higher turnover, higher league positions in the last decade, higher wages etc.

Our project is more exciting but we can’t even spend as much as them on transfers due to FFP. I’ve every confidence we’ll overtake them within the next decade but 1 CL finish doesn’t make us a better proposition at this time.

This...

plenty of people saying "we can offer CL football" when they mean "we are offering CL football this season".

Just now, Gawalls said:

This...

plenty of people saying "we can offer CL football" when they mean "we are offering CL football this season".

That's more than can be said for Spurs.

The best thing is to just wait and see. If he goes to spurs he wasn't right for us, that's how I see it. 

We don't want players who would rather be somewhere else in the back of their mind. But who knows....maybe he's actually decided on us

In any case, Maddison will be one of a few players we'll be looking at for the position. If it's not him, it might be Sobozlai or Arda Guler. Or who knows, maybe even Barella. There are some exciting options if we can land one or two.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's more than can be said for Spurs.

spurs have qualified for CL 5 times out of last 10 seasons so very roughly every other year and you have to go back to 2007/08 season for last time they finished out of top 10 so lets not start writing them off as finished just yet 

I keep reading that he’s picked Spurs over us.

Have we bid for the lad?  I know we bid late in the last summer transfer window but Leicester wanted crazy money.  After that we’ve made no more approaches, but the press says we’re ‘interested’ whenever there is a slow news week.

I’m not sure Spurs can spend more than us by the way, we are debt free and have owners that will commit to spending out of their own pocket what they can above what we bring in from income.

Spurs on the other hand have the highest level of debt in the league to Morgan Stanley (I think) for their stadium and don’t have any owner putting money in as far as I’m aware.

Plus, they have already spent about £70 million on Porro and Kulusevski this transfer window which doesn’t improve their first team from what they finished the season with.

Its common place for a rising club to supercede an established one in player destinations. Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City players all left and/or turned down more established clubs to go somewhere with a brighter futures and a buzz.

For footballing reasons there's no reason why you wouldn't.

33 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

This...

Were far more likely to have it and challenge for it on a sustained basis than Spurs. Were not going away.  They're clinging on to it.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Yes I get that, but I'm going off the rumour he's wanted a London move from last time we made a move. I think we could match Spurs for wages anyway, it's the likes of Chelsea and City we are still a year or two off. Can't see that tight cunt Levy blowing us out of the water.

Spurs highest earner is about 45% up on our highest earner. Their best offer will be better than what we’ve given before. 

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

This is a fact. 

1 hour ago, mikejaxer said:

I'll be honest here, I can see why he'd prefer London but I don't understand the craic about their stadium being better. It looks generic as hell like every other new stadium these days.

By any objective measure, it’s one of the best in the world of football.  

9 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its common place for a rising club to supercede an established one in player destinations. Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City players all left and/or turned down more established clubs to go somewhere with a brighter futures and a buzz.

For footballing reasons there's no reason why you wouldn't.

Were far more likely to have it and challenge for it on a sustained basis than Spurs. Were not going away.  They're clinging on to it.

They could offer better wages and higher fees than others across the board. We can’t because of FFP.  

I think the approach we’ are being forced to take will help us keep the soul of the club.   

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Better stadium- Wrong (depends what you want in a stadium, personally I prefer atmosphere and character to shiny seats)

Training ground- Correct but for how long? Besides I heard Danny Murphy talking about how it made very little impact on his decision making.

Global fanbase- You mean they have more people in Asia support them? I'm sure that's crucial in his decision making, also another area in which we will have caught up to them too. I certainly doubt they have a bigger UK fan base.

Better Squad- Wrong. Just Wrong. Their squad is shite apart from Kane and Bentancur.

High turnover- For now, yes. Again, I fail to see how this can attract a player? 

Higher league positions- Correct but surely you don't jump on the train going in the opposite direction to where you are going?

Higher Wages- Correct.

Sorry, it looks like I'm picking your post apart. It's not my intention. I understand Spurs is a massive opportunity for any footballer.

I suppose it comes down to belief in a project. I'm sure their were plenty of Liverpool fans aghast when Sterling joined City, who alot of your arguments could have been said about them at the time.

Timing is everything. Don't sign for the club who were good, sign for the club who are going to be good.

Perhaps Maddison doesn't believe in the project? Fair enough. His choice. 

We can move on.

Spurs stadium is the nuts mind. If you’ve been you’ll know it’s far, far more than just a bigger version of Stoke or Wigan.

Whether that’s particularly relevant or not to who James Maddison signs for, I’d have my doubts.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Spurs stadium is the nuts mind. If you’ve been you’ll know it’s far, far more than just a bigger version of Stoke or Wigan.

Whether that’s particularly relevant or not to who James Maddison signs for, I’d have my doubts.

Last time I checked he would spend most of his time on the big green flat part of the stadium? 

Im hoping it's the atmosphere generated from the stands that would make the difference and despite what some people say...ours is better

This has been the most tedious transfer rumour in a very long time. It's the same story being rehashed over and over again with the same arguments. People pointing out why London is massive for a player, people then pointing out why Newcastle as a city is good enough. Yawn.

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

This has been the most tedious transfer rumour in a very long time. It's the same story being rehashed over and over again with the same arguments. People pointing out why London is massive for a player, people then pointing out why Newcastle as a city is good enough. Yawn.

Every transfer rumour ends up this boring, the whole window is so drawn out.