James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Surely Leicester have already reached and passed their peak, too?

I genuinely have no clue how much weight footballers give anything other than the obvious stuff like money and playing time, but he'd be leaving a club you'd imagine were only on a downward trajectory for one that (crossing everything) has its best days ahead of it in the not too distant future.

Do people think there's much leverage/pull in that?

Yep. Regardless of whether we sign Maddison, Leicester will inevitably settle back into their natural position which is mid-lower table traditionally. Players know this, and that's why there is always a chance you can poach their best ones. Not everyone is Vardy who knows other clubs won't set the team up around him.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I genuinely have no clue how much weight footballers give anything other than the obvious stuff like money and playing time, but he'd be leaving a club you'd imagine were only on a downward trajectory for one that (crossing everything) has its best days ahead of it in the not too distant future.

You’d hope so. There’s enough awareness out there of what we are trying to do. If that is enough to get him talking to Howe, and team, then I’d be confident they could sell the vision and how he could be a key part of it. The thought of being both relied upon and idolised must be enticing. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Something seems off at Leicester. Lots of money invested in infrastructure but seem to have put a for sale sign on lots of their best players. It's like they're saying we've give it a shot, it hasn't worked, so we're downsizing and cutting our cloth accordingly. We'll use our academy over the next few years to support. 

It could be should they continue they end up in an Everton type situation, however their assets are so much more desirable. Maybe the owners just aren't as invested now and want to cut back. 

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Whether we've bid 35m or 40m, our offer is well short of their 60m asking price.

If you add in the fact we've been "back loading" all of our deals I don't see how this signing happens.

A small upfront payment isn't going to entice them to sell.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Same agency as Wood and Trippier as well so we’ve probably been given some form of  feeling that a deal can go ahead.

It's very uncommon for a team to table an official bid for a player without having a rough agreement on personal terms. Even Ekitike admitted he would have come here if it weren't for PSGs interest. 

We'll have a pretty good idea of what he's going to want from us so if (and it's a big if) we can agree a deal with Leicester there's a very good chance he'll sign up.

21 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Its interesting that Hope and Douglas are at pains to point out that we're structuring deals when its perfectly routine.

It's only interesting in that they are having to make a story out of nothing. The rumour mill has been turned off and not before time.

29 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Something seems off at Leicester. Lots of money invested in infrastructure but seem to have put a for sale sign on lots of their best players. It's like they're saying we've give it a shot, it hasn't worked, so we're downsizing and cutting our cloth accordingly. We'll use our academy over the next few years to support. 

It could be should they continue they end up in an Everton type situation, however their assets are so much more desirable. Maybe the owners just aren't as invested now and want to cut back. 

It's not like Everton. Everton's issue is just FFP. Their owner would put in more of their own money if they could.

Leicester are (becoming) self sustaining. They don't have masses of revenue and have sold for lots of money consistently until recently.

42 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not with us. In the short-term all we can offer over Leicester is higher wages. His focus will be going to the WC and he can do that with us or Leicester. A year from now, he will be far more attractive to a genuine top 6 team. I don't see him going on strike or kicking up a massive storm to come and join us. 

29 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Its interesting that Hope and Douglas are at pains to point out that we're structuring deals when its perfectly routine.

Hope didnt get the deal right if Percy are to believed. So right now i dont pay attention to what Hope says. 

Edited by nufc123

14 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

Thanks Mr. Ashley appreciate you trying though

It's probably the most likely scenario tbf. :lol: Raphinha is being talked about in the other thread and he's probably a good example to use; the fee that was eventually paid to Leeds was £50m, rising to £55m. Raphinha also had 2 years left on his contract and was of similar importance to Leeds as Maddison is to Leicester. Unless we pay in between £50m-£60m we've got no chance of getting him or someone of his quality.

Will reach a point where an ultimatum is given - see Botman deal. If Leicester don't cave to that then so be it. The calibre of player we're in for I'm confident we'll get the attacking creativity in that we're after.

You’ll have to forgive me if I think Hope knows about as much as any of us on here.  Maddison bid came out of a clear blue sky but now he knows everything about our negotiations and intent re the player. 

Sorry, not buying it.  The NE hacks we’re exposed as being effectively locked out by our new management.  Which is a good thing. 

33 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’ll have to forgive me if I think Hope knows about as much as any of us on here.  Maddison bid came out of a clear blue sky but now he knows everything about our negotiations and intent re the player. 

Sorry, not buying it.  The NE hacks we’re exposed as being effectively locked out by our new management.  Which is a good thing. 

It's the same everywhere and why I'm past giving much of a fuck about rumours until it's plain as day happening.

Throw enough shit at the wall hoping one or two stories stick, interspersed with vague bollocks that then allows you to come out with everything you 'knew' when things actually come to light. I swear no other area of 'journalism' seems to be as packed with know-it-all cunts that don't seem to want to divulge what they know until it's too late as football 'journalism' is. One of the arguments is 'they don't want to piss off their sources'.. What's the fucking point of the source then? :lol:Just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you know? Congrats. Do your fucking job.

Romano can properly fuck off and take his #herewego with him, too.