James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Their rejection must have had some encouragement that they're up for selling if we've bid again. 

Do not want to see that "Newcastle are prepared to walk away" headline later this week. Let's get this done. 

True. If the edwards news is true.  

Surely we aren't that far apart on their valuation. If we bid and were told 80m I doubt we would have gone back and certainly only that much higher. 60m is probably what they have said and maybe as @bowlingcroftysays we will meet somewhere between 50-55m to get it done. Looks like a posturing bid and the brinksmanship game.  

24 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm still not convinced by all this like. Part of me thinks it's either contract related or trying to draw out interest from other clubs.

Normally would think similar but the fact he's repped by the same agency as Wood and Trips gives me a bit of confidence that his people wouldn't be using us as bait. 

23 minutes ago, Big River said:

brilliant and important question. imagine asking Maxi to give up his shirt number though? :lol: I don't even think they'd try it.

he wore #23 at Norwich, but Murph has that...

Good point, i looked at that too :lol: all of his numbers taken. could get interesting! 

17 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I'd be fuming if I were a Leicester fan, this is a really bad situation they've created for themselves, but it looks like this is definitely on for us. 

Reading the Leicester forum they don’t seem to be fuming. Their view seems to be “we don’t need or want to sell him, therefore nothing less than an absurd will be accepted”. Are they wrong?

Just now, Bompeter said:

Reading the Leicester forum they don’t seem to be fuming. Their view seems to be “we don’t need or want to sell him, therefore nothing less than an absurd will be accepted”. Are they wrong?

I think they don't realise they do need to sell someone. 

22 minutes ago, Scoot said:

If reports are true and we started around 40, they want 60, we're nudging our way up to the 50/53ish it's going to take to get this deal done. 

The old Fifa negotiation. "Scout says player is available between £40-60m"

Manager 1: We'll offer £40m

Manager 2: No that's way too low. We won't accept anything less than £60m

Manager 1: £45m

Manager 2: I'm glad we could come to an agreement.

13 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Unsettled him at very least

May as well go for Vardy, he will be needing a few quid to pay his miserable twat of a wife's legal bill, be perfect for us short term as well 

She does have a face like the proverbial slapped arse.

I think a change of scenery and a new challenge would do Maddison's career a world of good, personally. 

He could do with a shit hot 4 months to play himself in to the WC squad, think a move would help him in that regard. Leicester seem to have stalled a bit and this summer had been very slow for them. We have momentum and renewed ambition. Think we'd be a good move for him to step it up a level.

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think a change of scenery and a new challenge would do Maddison's career a world of good, personally. 

He could do with a shit hot 4 months to play himself in to the WC squad, think a move would help him in that regard. Leicester seem to have stalled a bit and this summer had been very slow for them. We have momentum and renewed ambition. Think we'd be a good move for him to step it up a level.

agreed. he hasn't played for England since 2019, that's got to be a factor.

he can join all of our other England internationals. Southgate might have to get a season ticket!

43 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Approach seems sensible, really. Stick 50 down and they'd insist on 60. Stick 45 down and we might shake hands at 55.

:lol: it’s like Negotiating 101. Boggles the mind the number of folks like “LeiCeStr wAntS 60m sO wE haVe to pAY tHeM 60m.” 

13 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

The Leicester fans are going to give you a fan's perspective, but if Maddison wants the move, what they think doesn't really matter.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Normally the next step for him would be Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd. If we bid enough and convince him to come here, it's the biggest sign yet of where we want to go.

It's the sort of signing that shoots into the top 6 category tbh. That's how big it is.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Only Edwards and Talksport running with this at the moment. A piece on it being rejected and our budget constraints must be imminent.

Thought that, bit odd, especially since the second bid didn't come from Percy.

Leicester are in for a bad season, for whatever reason they have made an error financially and its going to cost them a drop down the league and probably their manager. They are a pretty well run club, so they will bounce back.

The point is that to a player like Maddison, he's not going to want to hang around while they rebuild. 

The point about having the same agent as Wood and Trippier is an excellent one on the previous page. I've said for ages that agents and their relations run the transfer window. I wonder if they came to us about their client. We probably didn't even know it was doable.

Biggest compliment I can give Maddison is that if he joined City or Liverpool, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I wanted Phillips at the start of the window but that's only because I thought Leeds were vulnerable. Maddison is every bit as exciting.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Only Edwards and Talksport running with this at the moment. A piece on it being rejected and our budget constraints must be imminent.

It’s strange how we have bid more than the amount we have left to spend.