James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Its pretty basic. I can slag off my club but if a fan of some other club slags off my club I'll get arsey.

How is slagging off Brendan Rodgers slagging off my club?

For the posters that said Ayoze was nothing special or garbage even, you lot are smoking. He was very fucking good under Rafa here.. a coach who used that player in a way that got the best out of him that also earned a £30m fee. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From .com

"Other unconfirmed reports doing the rounds meanwhile claim that monies remain due to Newcastle following the sale of Ayoze Perez to City in 2019."

It will be in the accounts just gone if there is.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

Its pretty basic. I can slag off my club but if a fan of some other club slags off my club I'll get arsey.

Just to clarify, I've had some fairly negative responses to my criticism of Rodgers down the years from our fans not Liverpool, Swindon or Leicester fans.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

It's because he's a massive prick regardless of his football acumen.

Nah, mate. He has been incredibly respectful to us fans during his tenure at LFC and post LFC. The portrait of him in his living room which is often used as a stick to beat him with - it was given to him by a disabled fan and he promised he will have that close with him. Very respectful and polite whenever fans reach out to him for such purpose.

I would reserve the word pricks to folks like Bruce, Pardew and their ilk. Rodgers is not a bad person in general. Does have a bit of a high opinion of himself and his methods:). He has his flaws but I wouldn't go as far as describing him as a prick.

22 minutes ago, TRon said:

Just to clarify, I've had some fairly negative responses to my criticism of Rodgers down the years from our fans not Liverpool, Swindon or Leicester fans.

I knew many Liverpool fans that wanted rid of him.......but as soon as someone else criticised any aspect of their club they got defensive.

The one Leicester fan I know thinks he should've gone in the Summer and doesn't think he'll see out the season 

Edit....My Leicester supporting mate thinks Rodgers will walk fwiw.

Edited by madras

8 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Nah, mate. He has been incredibly respectful to us fans during his tenure at LFC and post LFC. The portrait of him in his living room which is often used as a stick to beat him with - it was given to him by a disabled fan and he promised he will have that close with him. Very respectful and polite whenever fans reach out to him for such purpose.

I would reserve the word pricks to folks like Bruce, Pardew and their ilk. Rodgers is not a bad person in general. Does have a bit of a high opinion of himself and his methods:). He has his flaws but I wouldn't go as far as describing him as a prick.

I think he has a massively inflated opinon of himself. He made too much of a public show of telling us he wasn't interested in the Newcastle job last year, that was disrespectful as far as i'm concerned. He could have just said nothing. Even the Leicester fan on here is intimating the same opinion.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

I knew many Liverpool fans that wanted rid of him.......but as soon as someone else criticised any aspect of their club they got defensive.

The one Leicester fan I know thinks he should've gone in the Summer and doesn't think he'll see out the season 

Yes I can understand their fans being defensive, not sure why our fans feel the need for it. He's nothing to us.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

How would you feel about Joe Willock going the opposite direction if they struck a deal like that?

Being in the not overly struck on Maddison camp it’s a no for me. Said it a week or more ago but feel Willock will surprise a few on here this season.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yes I can understand their fans being defensive, not sure why our fans feel the need for it. He's nothing to us.

Oh got you, I originally read it as you got spiky responses from the Leicester fan(s).

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Being in the not overly struck on Maddison camp it’s a no for me. Said it a week or more ago but feel Willock will surprise a few on here this season.

I agree he has the potential to, whether he’ll get the chance to is another story. I’m not sure who he starts ahead of.

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Well I'm a big fan of  Madisson's end product but I also think Willock offers similar qualities which are maybe not quite as refined yet. I think Maddison at a certain price point makes sesne, after that, not sure it's worth it in the long term.

We shall see how it goes the next couple of days. Commendable brass sized balls if we walk away, even though it would be disappointing. This window is so important for future negotiations. There is no doubt that the ownership and Ashworth and co. will be dead set if not desperate to get a marquee signing in this window. Maddison is the type that appeals to our wider fan base and can be a key player for the next 6/7 years. I know we got marquee signings already in Bruno and Sven but the attacking one is always different. It's not only what the fans crave but for public appearances the Ownership will want a big attacking signing for branding. 

If its not Maddison I think we will go big for someone else. That we are happy to go to 50m with add ons already puts the rumoured Parqueta and Diaby price tags into greater focus...maybe even moves for Sesko or Isak.

Just now, Shearergol said:

I’m probably the biggest Willock fan on here. He’s absolutely no where near Maddison’s quality though, come on :lol:

Different type of player.  I think Willock could hit double figures for goals this season.

Diaby is a no go, he’s committed to staying put for this season.

I don’t get why we’re seemingly not in for Paqueta, maybe it’s just as simple as he doesn’t want to come here but I don’t see why not, Bruno is loving it here and forming a Brazilian 3 man midfield partnership at the age they are could bring them massive success at international level too.

But if he doesn’t want to move, I can understand Maddison being the other option, he’s got the experience and proven record at a high level. Transformative for where we are now but perhaps not for where we want to go? I mean, I can’t see him ever playing for City but I could see him being a Lallana type signing for the dippers, but certainly not a main man for them.

But that’s what 50/60m costs now.

Edited by Dr Jinx

23 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Diaby is a no go, he’s committed to staying put for this season.

I don’t get why we’re seemingly not in for Paqueta, maybe it’s just as simple as he doesn’t want to come here but I don’t see why not, Bruno is loving it here and forming a Brazilian 3 man midfield partnership at the age they are could bring them massive success at international level too.

But if he doesn’t want to move, I can understand Maddison being the other option, he’s got the experience and proven record at a high level. Transformative for where we are now but perhaps not for where we want to go? I mean, I can’t see him ever playing for City but I could see him being a Lallana type signing for the dippers, but certainly not a main man for them.

But that’s what 50/60m costs now.

Several Journalists have said Diaby could yet change his mind so never say never!

Makes me wonder if there was truth in the Draxler/Asensio rumours as both can play wide and central. Strange we could get both at the reported price tags in comparison to Maddison. 

Edited by toontownman

This does have a marquee signing feel to it. Not in the sense of getting a "name" per se, but in the sense of amassing top level players when the odd chance to get them arises. The top level players in question all have to fit a certain personality profile, have reasonable wages, and be willing to join a team without European football. Those three things will limit the pool.

It's hard to see other logic after going so hard to get Ekitike and now going for an AM not a striker.

I wonder if Maddison plus ASM in a two is a backup plan for when Wilson is rested or injured. In that situation, Bruno can be pushed up to #8, though you'd think the main plan would be for him to plan further back with Maddison at AM. Whatever it is, the schedule will be weird this year with the WC coming mid season and more fixtures being crammed together. Five subs changes things up as well. 

The ffp nonense is so weird because we clearly can spend the money and backfill the test via future sponsorships or sales. It’s really doing my head in. I get what they are saying buts a cash flow timing issue years down the line. 

Yes, the club may be proactively mentioning ffp to counter expectations that our new owners have a bottomless pit of cash and can/should pay more than other clubs.

Starting the window by signing an expensive CB and a keeper when we need attacking players also pours salt onto claims of funds limited by ffp or our owners' pockets.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

Maddison could easily play for Man City or Liverpool in a main role.

Bold statement. I don't believe that's true personally, I think that is a step too far for him. Can't even make it into the England set up regularly let alone playing week in week out for either of those teams. 

Luckily for us, I think he's right at the level we aspire to be at this season/next season; 5th-7th and Europe League.