Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just watched Match of the Day from 4/12/93 on Saturday. Was cracking.  Lovely football by Norwich at Man U.

Its become crash TV the last few decades, you don't get a feel for a game, they all come off the same  roughly five attacks each way (if they can manage it) and as much time spent on replays as the actual highlights.

They've dumbed it down to try and appeal to people who have the least interest in watching it rather than educating people that often times games can be shit and to accept that.

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Just watched Match of the Day from 4/12/93 on Saturday. Was cracking.  Lovely football by Norwich at Man U.

Its become crash TV the last few decades, you don't get a feel for a game, they all come off the same  roughly five attacks each way (if they can manage it) and as much time spent on replays as the actual highlights.

They've dumbed it down to try and appeal to people who have the least interest in watching it rather than educating people that often times games can be shit and to accept that.

Call me a heathen but those seasons where “the premiership” took over from MOTD showed just how shite it had gotten. 

Edited by BennyBlanco

Might even explain the frustrations of both club and England fans. 

I mean if you tell the consumer they're watching the best league in the world, the best footballers, £100m bench warmers as brilliant but all they see with their own eyes is 80mins of shit ?

14 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Might even explain the frustrations of both club and England fans. 

I mean if you tell the consumer they're watching the best league in the world, the best footballers, £100m bench warmers as brilliant but all they see with their own eyes is 80mins of shit ?

I have been saying that for years, English football and footballers are generally over sold and we would why we don't win anything. I actually think the younger lads are getting better and we might see some really good players in the next few years, and a few of the going abroad has helped, but as soon as they come back here and start believing the hype then they drop off and struggle,  Sancho at Man U is a prime example, and Grealish to an extent 

34 minutes ago, MagMal said:

I have been saying that for years, English football and footballers are generally over sold and we would why we don't win anything. I actually think the younger lads are getting better and we might see some really good players in the next few years, and a few of the going abroad has helped, but as soon as they come back here and start believing the hype then they drop off and struggle,  Sancho at Man U is a prime example, and Grealish to an extent 

I don't think hyping up young players is unique to English media. There must have been at least 10 players anointed the "next Maradona" by the Argentinian press till Messi came along. Gavi and Pedri have already been declared the next Xavi and Iniesta by Catalan media. While they are impressive talents, you can see that they have a long long way to go to get even close to the game of Xavi or Iniesta.

I do agree that coverage of English football is on the dumber side, the discussion of tactics and selection is so poor compared to other games like cricket or tennis. When you have someone like Rafa come on the TV and discuss tactics for five minutes, you feel some alien from Mars has arrived, just because of the contrast between Rafa's insightful thoughts and the blabbering cliched soundbites of Carra, Neville and others. 

Tactical insight doesn't sell to the UK audience. On the whole we're a bunch of coke sniffing, Fosters guzzling morons. Missing players being sent off, putting bets on when you're supposed to be talking about a game and catchphrases like "Cheers Geoff" is what people want.

52 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Tactical insight doesn't sell to the UK audience. On the whole we're a bunch of coke sniffing, Fosters guzzling morons. Missing players being sent off, putting bets on when you're supposed to be talking about a game and catchphrases like "Cheers Geoff" is what people want.

:lol:

17 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

I don't think hyping up young players is unique to English media. There must have been at least 10 players anointed the "next Maradona" by the Argentinian press till Messi came along. Gavi and Pedri have already been declared the next Xavi and Iniesta by Catalan media. While they are impressive talents, you can see that they have a long long way to go to get even close to the game of Xavi or Iniesta.

I do agree that coverage of English football is on the dumber side, the discussion of tactics and selection is so poor compared to other games like cricket or tennis. When you have someone like Rafa come on the TV and discuss tactics for five minutes, you feel some alien from Mars has arrived, just because of the contrast between Rafa's insightful thoughts and the blabbering cliched soundbites of Carra, Neville and others. 

Good post. I know it’s en vogue to laud the Bundesliga and it’s cheap tickets but the PL is blatantly the strongest league by some distance now and the fact CIty, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool have all reached CL finals in the last 3 years says quite a lot. I do agree the emphasis on tactical understanding is waaay behind in England - starting at grass roots level - and it’s the biggest reason we don’t produce managers and end up with a likeable wimp like Southgate in charge. I always think it is a staggering (but thoroughly unsurprising) fact that 4 Italian managers have won the PL but an English manager hasn’t even come close since we finished second under Keegan in ‘96.

In terms of punditry, Souness is widely regarded as a decent / watchable pundit but I don’t think I’ve ever heard him provide any genuine tactical insight. Shearer and Wright are entertaining but I don’t think they could spell the word. Carragher and Neville at least try, but as has been said the average fan in this country would rather hear 5 minutes of analysis on a petulant glance towards the bench than an explanation of how attacker Z was nullified effectively by defenders X and Y.

Edited by Ronaldo

11 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

When the CL is on, we get a glimpse into y’all’s coverage and it’s Carragher waffling about absolute shit and Richard’s laughing like a fucking idiot. I feel bad for y’all if that’s the standard.

BT 1 is good tbh, James Richardson, Horncastle, Laurens etc, it's The Totally Football crew (which is a great pod if you've never listened) doing a 'red zone' type overview of the evening's games.

5 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Memphis Depay linked for approx. 10m. Wouldn’t be averse at that price, despite recent injury problems and being horribly out of form this WC. Could potentially play from the left as well.

Looked woefully unready for the prem when he was at United. Can’t imagine he’s any better suited now. It’s a no for me.

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

When the CL is on, we get a glimpse into y’all’s coverage and it’s Carragher waffling about absolute shit and Richard’s laughing like a fucking idiot. I feel bad for y’all if that’s the standard.

That’s the cream of the crop :lol:

16 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Looked woefully unready for the prem when he was at United. Can’t imagine he’s any better suited now. It’s a no for me.

:lol: you don't reckon he might have improved in the last 6 years or whatever?