Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Disappointed we've gone quiet on Maddison. Thought he'd be perfect for us. 

Maddison wants to wait until summer and assess all his options. Actually think Tielemans will be the same.

6 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Can’t see us spending more money on a striker when we have 2 very decent strikers (and then Chris Wood) on our books already.

It’s all about depth though, isn’t it? If we’re serious about challenging on all fronts over the coming years, and we’re wedded to a high intensity style of play, we need more than a couple of good players.

Look at Liverpool’s forward options - they’ve got six or seven players who can slot into that front three. 

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Can’t see us spending more money on a striker when we have 2 very decent strikers (and then Chris Wood) on our books already.

Presumably they're looking ahead and thinking in three years time you'll have Botman (25), Bruno (28), Isak (26) then maybe Tielemans (28), Fresneda (22), Moukoko (21) all with 3-4 years PL experience and you've got the basis of a top four squad.

Obviously there's no guarantees but I get the feeling they have complete faith in their "project" and that regardless of where we finish this season they will have a top four/title challenging squad in a few years.

13 minutes ago, christ said:

It’s all about depth though, isn’t it? If we’re serious about challenging on all fronts over the coming years, and we’re wedded to a high intensity style of play, we need more than a couple of good players.

Look at Liverpool’s forward options - they’ve got six or seven players who can slot into that front three. 

Yeah, and even though we have Isak and Wilson both fighting for the same shirt ostensibly, it still feels like we will get caught short because of recent injuries to the pair of them. Another promising young striker would make me a lot more confident going into the second half of the season.

Berger is one of the more reliable German journos.

Seems awfully convenient that our potential interest has been leaked as negotiations with Dortmund are reaching the end game.

I'd guess our interest is genuine, but we're being used by his agent for an improved contract offer.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Is Moukoko an out and out striker or could he play wide in a front three?

Would love a left footer who can play either as a striker or on the right.

Moukoko, like Isak, is an out and out striker who doesn't play wide.

Wouldn't stop people posting lineups with an Isak-Wilson-Moukoko front 3, even though those 2 are about as likely to play wide as Wilson is. :lol:

We're not going to (potentially) be dropping huge money on 2 of the hottest striking prospects in Europe, just to play them out of position. It would be madness.

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Moukoko, like Isak, is an out and out striker who doesn't play wide.

Wouldn't stop people posting lineups with an Isak-Wilson-Moukoko front 3, even though those 2 are about as likely to play wide as Wilson is. :lol:

We're not going to (potentially) be dropping huge money on 2 of the hottest striking prospects in Europe, just to play them out of position. It would be madness.

Isak said: "I am a centre-forward. That is my position and where I am best. Then I think I have quite a wide game, so could do other things as well, so that is not for me to decide."

Just now, Manxst said:

Isak said: "I am a centre-forward. That is my position and where I am best. Then I think I have quite a wide game, so could do other things as well, so that is not for me to decide."

Congratulations on bolding the wrong part.

16 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I don’t think so. You said he couldn’t play wide. The player himself says that he can. 

I didn't say he couldn't play wide, I said he doesn't play wide. It's literally written there, so I'd appreciate it if you don't change the meaning of my post by altering the words, because "couldn't" and "doesn't" are entirely different.

He also doesn't say he can play wide, he says he could play wide. Future tense vs current tense. Again, it's very different and the actual words matter.

Isak has played 48 of his last 50 games as a centre forward. I don't see anyone posting Wilson-Isak-Almiron as a line-up even though it's not much less likely than seeing Isak there yet still people persist.

Of course I could be made to look daft if he ends up getting regular games there, and I acknowledge that small risk but if it happens it certainly is not based on anything he's done previously in his career and I really cannot see that we smash our club record to buy one of the hottest and best centre forwards in Europe then shunt the poor fucker out wide in anything other than the most desperate circumstances for single game instances to cover a really unlucky injury crisis. Seeing him on the wing would be a massive shock, especially if such an injury crisis isn't in play.

Edited by Chris_R

I'm sure we did verbally offer something, but that's because you need to make non official offers to get the going rate for players.

Once you have built a portfolio of potential signings, then you can make an informed decision on which ones to press ahead with.

Right now it's all hot air until we hear something concrete.

I'm going to need to see Moukoko in a black and white top before I believe he's coming. Would be mind-blowing. That type of signing would send an enormous message of intent throughout the footballing world. I don't think we're there yet. Love to see us continue to be lumped in with the elite clubs, though. Our reputation is growing.