Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

for conversations sake, let's say we did spend that - will you be disappointed or accepting that we don't have all of the information and the owners have a longer term plan in place you still trust?

All about context isn't it. Obviously purely as a daft football fan you'd be disappointed. But the pragmatic side of me would appreciate/respect that they have a long term plan and they're sticking to it. Say we over-reach and spend 150-200m, and some of those signings don't work out. It would be a few windows before we're ready (from an FFP standpoint) to go again and rectify the mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As long as the team comes out of the summer looking stronger, it's progress.

Anyone expecting a handful of "Champions League level" players is in for disappointment though. The strategy won't change. There is a long term plan and the Champions League was an added bonus on the journey. 

To be fair I'd say Isak, Botman and Bruno are Champions league level.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

So how much we spending according to your excel sheets Rich?

If it's generally accepted that we spent around £50M in January, £115M last summer, and £95M the previous January, it's got to be £120M+ this summer for me.

I reckon we'll land around the £150M mark, with two-to-three signings of Isak, Bruno, and Botman types, and two-to-three Pope, Targett, and Burn types.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Still think it'll be similar to last summer. Four to five signings, with a couple of those being Botman, Bruno or Isak calibre and more of the trash out the door. 

Botman, Bruno or Isak calibre should be  the minimum required. With Champions Legaue should be no room for Ekitikes or João Pedros. This is an opportunity to jump 2 or 3 years ahead of schedule in the process of putting the club at the top.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

To be fair I'd say Isak, Botman and Bruno are Champions league level.

That's what I mean though. I think we'll continue to add a couple per window supplemented with other deals, as opposed to signing four or five players at that level this window. 

1 hour ago, cranna said:

Botman, Bruno or Isak calibre should be  the minimum required. With Champions Legaue should be no room for Ekitikes or João Pedros. This is an opportunity to jump 2 or 3 years ahead of schedule in the process of putting the club at the top.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Qualifying for the Champions League certainly helps the profitability of the club and won't hurt from a negotiating perspective, but it doesn't mean we'll be going berserk. We still have FFP to comply with, we still have a wage structure and there's a chance we won't qualify again next year. We're still going to have to be smart and signing a couple of youngsters with potential (like Pedro) as part of the overall strategy is a good way to go. 

Edited by The Prophet

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

If the budget for this summer is £60-80m I'd be interested to know what the budget would have been if we'd finished outside the European spaces. 

I'm not interested tbh, since I think we'll be buying 3-5 players who will make us significantly stronger regardless of what the journalists are speculating the budget might be.

Honestly will hate our fans if that shit happens like. Our hit rate in the transfer market has been class for the level we've went from and to. If people piss their pants because we signed Gordon and only spent £75m in the summer plus sales, they can fuck off. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

By you I'm assuming. :lol:

Not at all, I don't think he should be judged until after a full preseason. There's already quite a few unhappy we bought him and I don't think anyone will blame the current owners for not spending money that's available, so I think it would quickly turn to "why did we buy Gordon if we were so handcuffed by FFP even with the Champions League?"

This is my stance on Gordon...

On 01/06/2023 at 12:01, timeEd32 said:

I think one of the things likely setting some people up for disappointment or confusion in this window is the general perception of Gordon vs. how Ashworth / Howe view him.

We know Howe eases players in and we heard from the player himself that his fitness was not up to the standard. Assuming he fixes that I think it's a mistake to assume our first XI doesn't include him or that he's at least not a big part of our plans. I think comments like "Howe clearly likes Joelinton more at LW" or "why did we pay £45M for a squad player?" are making potentially faulty assumptions.

It's not clear to me if we like him for his versatility and may use him in a number of positions moving forward or if we used him in a few places out of need. But if we don't bring in an obvious RW or we sell Maxi and don't replace him or if we don't bring in competition for Longstaff then I think it's possible the answer to any of those is Gordon.

Was this posted?

Liverpool and Newcastle are among the clubs interested in Juventus star Federico Chiesa, according to Il Corriere dello Sport.

The Italy international is willing to listen to offers as he does not feel "at the centre of the project" at the Allianz Stadium.

Juventus have already met with the agents of Nicolo Zaniolo and Wilfried Gnonto, who could take Chiesa's place.

Bayern Munich are also interested in the winger, with Juventus’ asking price in the region of €35-45m (£30m-38.6m).

Chiesa - whose contract expires in 2025 - returned from a serious knee injury this season, scoring four goals in 33 appearances.

Edited by joeyt

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I reckon he's absolutely right, mind. There's probably a maximum they physically can't go beyond due to FFP, but I don't see why they'd limit themselves by having a fixed budget. If they're drafting journos with comparatively low figures it's just to throw selling clubs off the idea that we can spend ridiculous amounts. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I reckon he's absolutely right, mind. There's probably a maximum they physically can't go beyond due to FFP, but I don't see why they'd limit themselves by having a fixed budget. If they're drafting journos with comparatively low figures it's just to throw selling clubs off the idea that we can spend ridiculous amounts. 

He's right in the way he's often right. What's a glamorous name? What's expensive? What's a bargain when every player seems to cost £30M? Everyone can be right if you use vague enough language.

At least he's learned he's being played a fool in translating whatever numbers are being purposely leaked.

Compare us to West Ham, who haven't only publicly backed themselves into a corner by announcing Rice will leave, but they've told the world that once he's gone they'll have £100 million burning a hole in their pocket. Southampton will mug them off for Ward-Prowse.

5 hours ago, MrSnrub said:

NE journos don't a clue. That slaphead Edwards does it all the time, said we couldn't afford Isak but then when we signed him "our budget had changed", trying to maintain his credibility. Let's be honest, last year we only knew about Botman initially from the French side, and Pope pretty much happened over night, same as Isak. The club are usually water tight when it comes to transfers. 

It’s pretty well known Isak’s salary demands halved to £125kpw and the fee dropped from £70m+add ons to £50’s+add ons taking it to a maximum possible outlay of £63m. So total package dropped by over £40m. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good narrative ?