Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not sure how I feel about all the rumour mongering starting up again. Guess it has to be a good thing/sign, but not recovered yet from the rollercoaster of hope, excitement and disappointment in the summer. 

Just stay out of the thread then :lol:

I don't understand why some of you lot get so rattled over transfer rumours man.

Seems like you preferred it under Mike Ashley when we weren't interested in ever making any signings and so there were no rumours!

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Just stay out of the thread then :lol:

I don't understand why some of you lot get so rattled over transfer rumours man.

Seems like you preferred it under Mike Ashley when we weren't interested in ever making any signings and so there were no rumours!

As if… on both counts. 

Quality watch, this, talking through how he got the offer from us, but didn't really want to move due to the upheaval so gave us a big number for a weekly wage that was knocked back initially, etc. Lots of really good words said about us.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

Quality watch, this, talking through how he got the offer from us, but didn't really want to move due to the upheaval so gave us a big number for a weekly wage that was knocked back initially, etc. Lots of really good words said about us.

That's great.

There's more on his Spotify page. The TLDW is that he actually got offered what he wanted by around 9pm on the night of the initial call being made. We'd booked a hotel for him assuming he'd accept, with the medical set for the morning. He text Aaron Ramsdale for some intel on Howe and had a glowing report from him, said he'd love playing for him and that he was a top man. He also loves Nick Pope to bits and would've loved to work with him.

He ended up ringing Dan Ashworth later that night to give him his reasons for turning it down and called him the gold standard of directors of football. Said he was absolutely great about the whole thing and after that call he knew it was probably time to retire, as he doesn't think he'd get a better offer from the Premier League and if he was turning that down he should probably call it a day.

Interesting look at how people in football are viewing us these days, I reckon, and that we were willing to offer a backup goalkeeper such a good salary on a short-term deal.

You know what, I know some people knock him, but his honestly and insight into the professional game is honestly so refreshing, and great to see, and his decision not to come here is obviously very understandable, fair play to him to be honest.

I'd put 2 and 2 together and thought it might have been that Howe didn't like the podcast sideshow or possibly that he just didn't rate him, so I'm pleased to hear that we went for what was a no-brainer at the time.

Clearly the lower risk option to Karius, let's just hope it ends up working out alright in the end.

Only 8 more matches until we can fire this thing back up and get some players in who have ideas on how to unlock defenses that will come and park the bus like Bournemouth did today. Because everyone is going to come to SJP this season and show us the respect we had today. We’re a team to be feared but were easily stifled.