Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

12 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think they’ll go for a winger to add goals, attacking 3 options and depth off the bench to change games with various names mentioned. Maddison could well happen as we were clearly interested in the summer but that might be more protracted in Jan and depends how much we can get him for. We could also see areas like RB covered with the loan market maybe. 

Striker is an interesting one because while Isak can no doubt fill in for Wilson he’s a very different type of player. I think we’ll look to bring in a young striker more in the traditional centre forward mould and if someone became available in Jan don’t rule that out (but more likely next summer). Someone who can deputise for and learn from Wilson moving forwards. 

We’ve not spent 60m on one of Europe’s hottest striker talents to then go and bring in a young player to “lead the line”. Isak is our long term striker, no doubt about it, unless we go with two up top and need another.

1 hour ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Let’s not underestimate the cameraderie being shown on tv ,from the fans,players and staff.No Premier League club is more on the up than the North East’s most successful and best supported team.

Didn't realise the Mackems were doing so well:spit:

27 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Manu Kone is being linked to us and Liverpool. He would be the midfield version of Botman and Isak, him and Bruno would be amazing 

Recent rumour? There were a few rumours in Aug and Sept but I haven’t heard anything since then? 

33 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Manu Kone is being linked to us and Liverpool. He would be the midfield version of Botman and Isak, him and Bruno would be amazing 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Recent rumour? There were a few rumours in Aug and Sept but I haven’t heard anything since then? 

Yes it was from earlier today that we’d have to break his clubs record transfer to sign him, which is currently 35m for Xhaka 

13 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Wonder if the owners will splash the cash even more now you seem closer to the top than originally imagined at this point

I think they will invest in one big player should he be available, wouldn't suprise me at all if it was Maddison, Although i think a CDM would be the greater need. The owners must be looking and thinking there is a hell of an opportunity for a top 6 finish especially with all the teams around us playing in europe.

22 minutes ago, adamjk007 said:

I think they will invest in one big player should he be available, wouldn't suprise me at all if it was Maddison, Although i think a CDM would be the greater need. The owners must be looking and thinking there is a hell of an opportunity for a top 6 finish especially with all the teams around us playing in europe.

If we only make one signing in January, for big money, I think a Maddison/Trossard type signing would have a bigger impact than any other position. We have the best defensive record in the league but have at times struggled for creativity (Brighton, Wolves, Palace, Bournemouth). ASM is injury prone and who knows how long Almiron will keep up his Willock-style scoring streak. Yes Isak might work out wide, but as soon as Wilson's injured he's needed up top anyway. Maddison/Trossard give us lots of options and fret. We have Shelvey to come in to add to midfield competition. Yes he isn't a DM as such but he did very well under Howe last season.

48 minutes ago, Nine said:

If we have learned anything from the windows so far it is to not listen to a word that ownership or management say about them 

Correct. Can't wait for the bi-annual meltdown when the media report a lack of transfer funds before slapping 45m on Maddison again.

I don't think there's any need to be buying players on £200k/week. If we've seen anything over the last year, it's that there's plenty of players who are willing to come to us for half that wage who will improve us massively. Right now it's about breaking into that top 4, either this season or next or whenever, not about displacing Real Madrid or PSG. Those kind of transfers are for years to come when we need to make that step.

Whilst I don't think anyone involved in our ownership are anything but "all in" & keen for us to progress their "3-5 years" caveat wasn't just to temper our enthusiasm. 

It's not rocket science to know that playing in Europe, as well as domestic comps, puts huge pressure on a squad. 

Even more so when you NEED to be consistently successful in all of them. 

Even more so again when your DNA is to run the fucking arse off yourselves both in training AND on the matchday. 

There's an arguement for not getting into Europe. 

I wouldn't make it like but its there. 

Edited by Groundhog63

9 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Whilst I don't think anyone involved in our ownership are anything but "all in" & keen for us to progress their "3-5 years" caveat wasn't just to temper our enthusiasm. 

It's not rocket science to know that playing in Europe, as well as domestic comps, puts huge pressure on a squad. 

Even more so when you NEED to be consistently successful in all of them. 

Even more so again when your DNA is to run the fucking arse off yourselves both in training AND on the matchday. 

There's an arguement for not getting into Europe. 

I wouldn't make it like but its there. 

Thankfully neither will Eddie :indi: