Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Equally we become more attractive to players, champs league quality players are super expensive still but there's no premium for convincing a player to walk away from european football, players will look at us and think maybe can win something with them

32 minutes ago, papo said:

Bowen linked on BBC gossip column. Would love it but can’t see us spending big another winger.

Hard working, quick, high energy, scores goals. Can see why he's linked.

33 minutes ago, papo said:

Bowen linked on BBC gossip column. Would love it but can’t see us spending big another winger.

I don't think he's much better than what we have. I'd rather spend elsewhere.

He had a couple of decent runs against Dan Burn, and I wonder whether that is what's sparked off this rumour.

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

Equally we become more attractive to players, champs league quality players are super expensive still but there's no premium for convincing a player to walk away from european football, players will look at us and think maybe can win something with them

I think this is where we need to continue to box smart in transfer market. If we get CL next season then absolutely we can attract some of the very top tier players if we splash the cash, but there are so many good players at smaller clubs and lower pay in Europa or CL playing teams that we can go for over the already proven talent at a major CL side etc.

Just moar Isak, Botman and Bruno type signings, basically. 

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

He had a couple of decent runs against Dan Burn, and I wonder whether that is what's sparked off this rumour.

You don't think Bowen is better than Murphy or Fraser?

I'd agree we probably should look at other players, but everytime I've watched Bowen I've felt like he's a threat and putting teams on backfoot very well, even if he's not scoring or making assists.

31 minutes ago, papo said:

I think another big money winger is pretty much nailed on this summer, personally.

Gordon and ASM will be fighting it out for the LW spot with Almiron and another left footed winger fighting for the right side spot. Obviously they can all play both sides but think Howe ideally wants a left footed player on the right and a right footed player on the left.

My guess is that we'll make a real play for Diaby, he's been consistently mentioned as a long term target and this summer might be the time for him to make a move.

Could see Bowen being the backup plan to Diaby if we're priced out of him.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

This. Bowen isn’t the player to take us to the next level imo.

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

I think another big money winger is pretty much nailed on this summer, personally.

Gordon and ASM will be fighting it out for the LW spot with Almiron and another left footed winger fighting for the right side spot. Obviously they can all play both sides but think Howe ideally wants a left footed player on the right and a right footed player on the left.

My guess is that we'll make a real play for Diaby, he's been consistently mentioned as a long term target and this summer might be the time for him to make a move.

Could see Bowen being the backup plan to Diaby if we're priced out of him.

Yeah I think we need another proper goal scoring winger who can turn and win matches. Diaby definitely fits that mould. Bowen would do well too to be fair, fits the Howe mould but I think we need top top player in this position. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

6 minutes ago, hakka said:

You don't think Bowen is better than Murphy or Fraser?

I'd agree we probably should look at other players, but everytime I've watched Bowen I've felt like he's a threat and putting teams on backfoot very well, even if he's not scoring or making assists.

Well, I said 'much better' not 'better' and you've picked out perhaps our two least favoured wide players. He would have to replace Gordon, Miggy or ASM.

Though I must say Murphy is doing a pretty effective job for us right now.

Bowen has pace, strength and work rate, but I don't think he's that great technically.

32 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Well, I said 'much better' not 'better' and you've picked out perhaps our two least favoured wide players. He would have to replace Gordon, Miggy or ASM.

Though I must say Murphy is doing a pretty effective job for us right now.

Bowen has pace, strength and work rate, but I don't think he's that great technically.

Yeah my bad, some reason in my head thought you meant not better than what we have. Apologies.

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

If Barca really want to sell Raphinha this summer, then we have to try for him IMO.

His wages will be a big ask now? I like him but I would prefer someone like Pedro tbh. Or even Alex Scott.

I really don’t think we will be after a traditional wide attacking player this summer unless a long term target becomes available (like a Diaby). We just spent a lot of money on Gordon and there will be other areas to strengthen that require more focus first. We also already have four players to fit in those positions. Obviously you want more quality there, but Murphy has actually played really well and follows the gameplay excellently and ASM has shown the quality he brings in recent weeks. 

I think we go after a central striker that can play out wide if need be (like an Joao Pedro) and then a Maddison type midfielder that can operate from the right or left. 

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

Kone/Ugarte and Cherki please. Lazy defensively though so not sure if he would fit in.

Good shout on Cherki as he’s a player, though I have the same concern regarding work rate.

I was a huge HBA fan so love those effortless sort of creative types like him. 

4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah I think the number 6 will be someone like Kone, Kephren Thuram or Alvarez from Ajax. And as you said the money we’d save might go on someone like a Diaby or Maddison. 

Do you not think Thuram is better as an 8?