Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

54 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Sign this kind fucko immediately 

Kid you not, haven't been a fan of his, and have absolutely no idea of the context behind this vid, but this is fucking brilliant. Love to see vids like this. That young man won't forget what was a simple act of kindness.

41 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Kid you not, haven't been a fan of his, and have absolutely no idea of the context behind this vid, but this is fucking brilliant. Love to see vids like this. That young man won't forget what was a simple act of kindness.

Almost feels like a set up to take the piss out of Arsenal and Leeds :lol:

Bit controversial but I’d be looking to upgrade Pope with a goalkeeper with some semblance of footballing ability. Either that or instruct the players to never pass the ball back to him. 

7 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Bit controversial but I’d be looking to upgrade Pope with a goalkeeper with some semblance of footballing ability. Either that or instruct the players to never pass the ball back to him. 

Are you kidding? He was outstanding today. 

3 hours ago, Away Toon said:

In terms of area of the team that needs upgrading keeper is almost bottom of the list imo.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

6 hours ago, Away Toon said:

6 hours ago, Dr. TC said:

Are you kidding? He was outstanding today. 

3 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

In terms of area of the team that needs upgrading keeper is almost bottom of the list imo.

Less "controversial" 

More stupid

9 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Definitely need more back in that back line, Arsenal made it look pedestrian at times yesterday. It’s still an awesome Unit but definitely vulnerable to speed.

As Schar is getting on a pacy CB in the summer would be good. But I think we could solve the problem in other ways like  signing a defensive mid with a bit of pace, Willock and Joelinton do their pressing high up, so when teams  pass through us Bruno doesn’t have the recovery pace so you get players unchallenged bearing down on our slow defence. Even getting a pair of fast fullbacks would help as they could come across to cover (Trippier often is too far forward to help plus not the fastest and Burn is slow, not saying doing way with these guys but bringing in complementary players and use the squad based on the opposition’s strength).

Honestly, Rice would be perfect for our squad. If we were to make one statement signing (100+m) this summer, I hope it is him. We can build around him for many years and he might not blow the wage budget.

Yup, Rice is perfect for us, unfortunately he’s perfect for most clubs as he’s ridiculously versatile. Still, I imagine we’ll be enquiring as he is the perfect Howe player 

7 hours ago, Away Toon said:

I see this as well and have brought it up previously. He’s a great shot stopper but the teams who win things regularly have keepers who are great shot stoppers and great footballers, too. I don’t think that’s controversial. I’m surprised that some are so shocked at the suggestion given it was broadly agreed that we didn’t need to upgrade on Dubravka, and then when Pope joined it was self-evidently the correct decision. The same will happen when Pope is upgraded IMO.

Edited by Dr Venkman

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Yup, Rice is perfect for us, unfortunately he’s perfect for most clubs as he’s ridiculously versatile. Still, I imagine we’ll be enquiring as he is the perfect Howe player 

Definitely. It does seem like a lot of the usual players are having trouble with FFP and/or needs sell before they buy, so there are only a handful of clubs left that can afford him, and if they look elsewhere then we need to be ready.

8 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I see this as well and have brought it up previously. He’s a great shot stopper but the teams who win things regularly have keepers who are great shot stoppers and great footballers, too. I don’t think that’s controversial. I’m surprised that some are so shocked at the suggestion given it was broadly agreed that we didn’t need to upgrade on Dubravka, and then when Pope joined it was self-evidently the correct decision. The same will happen when Pope is upgraded IMO.

Can we get three defenders that are equally as good characters and defensively/with the ball as Trippier, Botman, and Schär but a hell of a lot faster while we're at it?

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Can we get three defenders that are equally as good characters and defensively/with the ball as Trippier, Botman, and Schär but a hell of a lot faster while we're at it?

I see your point but I think you’ve overplayed your hand a tad [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I see your point but I think you’ve overplayed your hand a tad [emoji38]

Pope's at least as good in his position as those three are in theirs when looking at the rest of the league, like.

You're basically asking for an Allison or Ederson if you want a goalkeeper that does everything else Pope does to the same standard and is also top class in possession.

Allison was £67M in 2018. Ederson was £35M in 2017, but the second most expensive keeper ever at that point.

Eventually, aye, we'd all like one of the best two or three keepers in the world between the sticks, but the one we've got is right in the mix behind those two in league terms as far as his overall game goes.

I would also take a Bruno with more robust ankles/a bit more size and athleticism, as well, just while we're at it. 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

An out and out number 6 will help with the lack of pace at back as well.

If we stick to this system I couldn’t agree more. Neither, Bruno, or big and little Joe are defensively inclined imo. 

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Pope's at least as good in his position as those three are in theirs when looking at the rest of the league, like.

You're basically asking for an Allison or Ederson if you want a goalkeeper that does everything else Pope does to the same standard and is also top class in possession.

Allison was £67M in 2018. Ederson was £35M in 2017, but the second most expensive keeper ever at that point.

Eventually, aye, we'd all like one of the best two or three keepers in the world between the sticks, but the one we've got is right in the mix behind those two in league terms as far as his overall game goes.

I would also take a Bruno with more robust ankles/a bit more size and athleticism, as well, just while we're at it. 

An absolutely elite keeper seems like a "last piece of the jigsaw" kind of signing to me. Once the rest of the squad is pretty much where you want it then you drop £50m on the best all-round GK available. 

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

An absolutely elite keeper seems like a "last piece of the jigsaw" kind of signing to me. Once the rest of the squad is pretty much where you want it then you drop £50m on the best all-round GK available. 

Pope will be here at least another couple of seasons. There are 4-5 upgrades, if they can be found, and probably some age-related replacements before we look at ‘keepers. 

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

An out and out number 6 will help with the lack of pace at back as well.

Definitely. Better footballers than Botman and Burn would help with Pope's lack of ability on the ball, too.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Definitely. Better footballers than Botman and Burn would help with Pope's lack of ability on the ball, too.

Not sure what’s happened to Botman, feel as though his passing has regressed over the season. 

I think the Pope we've seen since Liverpool is the Pope we were thought we were getting. A very good Premier League keeper with weaknesses using his feet, a little step up from Dubravka.

First half of the season was his Almiron where he was possessed and a cross between peak Cech and Schmeichel.

I do think we need a keeper to take the next step but happy with Pope for another season or two.