Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Guest HTT II

Shelvey is technically a good passer of the ball, but needs time and space and cannot play incisive clever passes when under pressure or without that time and space. I can hit an accurate 50 yard ball to feet without anyone near me, with time and space to do so. I think any footballer could, Bruno has vision, deft of pass, weight of pass, he sees things. That through ball against Forest wasn’t aimed at say Almiron, he thought in his mind if he threads it through we have two runners either side, one of them should judge the pass and get onto it, it just so happened to be Almiron. That’s next level stuff! It’s a myth that because he can hit the odd Hollywood ball that Shelvey is a great passer, no he is not. 

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Caulkin will know better than Eddie.

This is probably the biggest hot take ive seen on this forum this summer, and thats saying something :lol: 

54 minutes ago, STM said:

Scholes is still the benchmark for English midfielders.

Despite what the PFMs and Pundits would say, he was way above Gerrard and Lampard in all around play.

:thup:

The plaudits he gets from the very best players says it all. Zidane's answer to "how's it feel being the best midfielder in the world" says it all.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Shelvey's a decent passer all round but his longballs are consistently very good.

He obviously isn't as incisive as Bruno but in terms of switching play and keeping things ticking over he's great.

Shelvey's always been a very good passer, he's also surprisingly difficult to dispossess, he's good at maintaining possession. His only real fault is he's not got much mobility which means he's not going to be playing one-twos, and also means his pressing will be poor.

Shelvey improved last year no doubt, but I thought this Shelvey is a great passer of the ball had been at best questioned heavily due to distinct lack of evidence. Hollywood Shelvey. I remember when people would say "Yeah but Shelvey has a great pass on him", my response was "Oh yeah... When?". 1 out of 10 attempted maybe. Last season was an improvement on previous years, but still.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Was it particularly terrible during the Bruce years like? Because aside from that (Didn't watch us under Bruce) I've always thought he was a great passer. His passing stats are pretty ace tbh, top 15 centile in the league for short and medium passing accuracy, top 45 for long distance.

https://fbref.com/en/players/3727dd3c/all_comps/Jonjo-Shelvey-Stats---All-Competitions#stats_passing_collapsed

jonjo.thumb.jpg.1faa57245c10d3b12a4ebcd692eb6fb4.jpg

Believe it or not, very similar to KDB. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/e46012d4/all_comps/Kevin-De-Bruyne-Stats---All-Competitions#stats_passing_expanded

KDB.thumb.jpg.8ec4196e74e151b51b345d67cac29fdc.jpg

Edited by Kid Icarus

He’s not got the through-ball quality, vision or timing of Bruno but he is great at long-distance balls over the top and switching it. I think he would suit a possession-based side a lot more than what we’ve seen from him so far

Shelvey's short range passing is excellent too. Great weight on them.

His issue goes back to his mobility. He doesn't / can't pass and move. It's just pass. So he can't manoeuvre himself into better passing positions or get involved in combination play. He's also not got great feet, so while he can shield a ball you can pressure him into a safer pass or a pass he has to force. Someone like Bruno can use quick, skilful feet to evade that and play the pass he wants to play.

It's one thing I first noticed about Kroos when he replaced Xabi at Real Madrid. At the time he had better mobility and he has quicker feet. It meant he could play passes he wanted too far more frequently than Xabi. You could press and harry a Xabi out the game - he didn't have the mobility or the feet to get out. Kroos did. Kroos has dramatically lost his mobility since but he still has those skilful quick feet and can withstand a heavy press much better than he should.

16 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Makes sense for us, not so sure it makes as much sense to Pulisic. Think we’re a year off for him but if the main thing he wants is game time in the premier league then we can offer that 

Yeah, this worries me as well. Feel like if we get to next week and Chelsea do make him available he isn't going to be short of offers. For some reason I think he is going to end up at one of the big Italian clubs on loan. He'd get into any of them, and Americans all have some daft fascination with Italy. Been to Rome and Sorrento and you can't go anywhere without being surrounded by them. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Yeah, this worries me as well. Feel like if we get to next week and Chelsea do make him available he isn't going to be short of offers. For some reason I think he is going to end up at one of the big Italian clubs on loan. He'd get into any of them, and Americans all have some daft fascination with Italy. Been to Rome and Sorrento and you can't go anywhere without being surrounded by them. 

“Say do you come from Edenburrow?”

32 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Pulisuc from a commercial point of view is huge - hopefully our new CEO recognises this 

eh. yanks aren't really mad for "soccer" merch outside of MLS and, besides the poor souls you know and love on this board, the rest of us are glory hunters when it comes to the PL.

still want him here, mind.

Edited by thomas