Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think we will do what Liverpool tend to do going forward. If we can’t land our top target this window, we will go back the summer after.

Good God man, there is no way I can put a cork in it for another year.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

I'd choose the CM personally, already lost Shelvey there so one more injury/suspension and we cant even put a out and out CM on the bench

I think Elliot Anderson is adequate backup for Joelinton and Bruno. In fact, i'd put him above Longstaff in the pecking order. Whether those four are enough largely depends on what formation we plan to play. If it's a midfield three, we need another CM. If it's two holding with a number #10 in front, we need a #10. If it's 4-4-2, I think we're alright with what we have in CM but we desperately need a winger

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

I still worry about RW, we are an injury away from Murphy being a starter.

I think Howe might play Isak as the RW, and  ASM LW once Wilson is fit.

But can lean on Isak and Wood as cover for Wilson now, it's good if players can be diverse when things get tricky.

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Think the plan will be exactly that. Front 3 of Maxi, Wilson and Isak when all are fit. 

Most probably, still a shame to buy Isak for £60m and then play him out wide. Hope we get another signing in. Still an inury to Bruno away from being quite an average side. 

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I think Elliot Anderson is adequate backup for Joelinton and Bruno. In fact, i'd put him above Longstaff in the pecking order. Whether those four are enough largely depends on what formation we plan to play. If it's a midfield three, we need another CM. If it's two holding with a number #10 in front, we need a #10. If it's 4-4-2, I think we're alright with what we have in CM but we desperately need a winger

Did he play Joelinton's role against Tranmere? I've kind of attributed both him and Willock as playing in the Willock role. I just assumed Willock was in Willock's role but Billy was doing the things I expect to see from Willock.

45 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

So, if it's a choice between winger and CM it's a no brainer for me - winger 100%

It's a bit of a double edged sword whichever way your preference lies really, if it's a case of one or the other. 

Both options result in a detrimental impact to our other key players. 

Based on the treatment that Bruno received against Brighton, you'd expect it's going to become a recurring theme, and therefore signing another quality midfielder is arguably critical to Bruno's season.

And conversely, the same applies to ASM if we don't buy another winger. 

My preference, if it is strictly one or the other would be a CM because I think Almiron offers more to the team in RW than Willock does in CM. 

Ideally, we want to be in a place whereby the opposition simply cannot afford to double up on our players for risk of freeing up another equality dangerous player. 

Edited by Lenny

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

Most probably, still a shame to buy Isak for £60m and then play him out wide. Hope we get another signing in. Still an inury to Bruno away from being quite an average side. 

Not really. As long as you're not asking him to play the winger role.

He starts in the position the fb is tasked with marking him, he just needs  to drift into a natural forward position and that opens up space for Miggy, Bruno and Trippier to do damage. Trippier crosses into Wood, who fucks up and Alex taps in the knockdown.

12 minutes ago, Flip said:

Playing wide hasn’t done Salah’s goal scoring any harm—on track to be Liverpool’s top scorer. Not saying they are the same, just that in the right formation, system and with the right personnel, he could still score shedloads from there. 

10 minutes ago, Flip said:

Like @Happinesstan just stated there is a difference between hugging the touchline as a winger, and having a more narrow free role as a wide forward.

If Isak starts in that wide right position it would be as a wide forward with the freedom to move into more central areas and tuck in behind the striker to receive the ball in pockets of space, as well as also to look to make runs in behind when the striker drops into space. He'd be operating a lot in the right side half spaces in that role too, which is something he excels at, as I think the Tifo video highlighted.

Defensively, in order to keep Isak high up the pitch I could see us getting another Joelinton type, so someone like Conor Gallagher for example, to play in that RCM role, who could then come across and help to cover marauding full backs so Isak doesn't have to track all the way back. We did this against Man City on the other side in order to keep ASM high up the pitch to exploit space left by Walker on that left hand side, and get ASM into advantageous positions on the counter and cause them loads of problems.

I think it would be quite weird to complain about Isak potentially not getting enough game time through the middle, given the amount of whinging we've all been doing about Wilson being injury prone.

Isak will just have to prove he's worthy of that central role, when he gets his chances.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

I think it would be quite weird to complain about Isak potentially not getting enough game time through the middle, given the amount of whinging we've all been doing about Wilson being injury prone.

Isak will just have to prove he's worthy of that central role, when he gets his chances.

Or we can be a normal side who rotates players to avoid them getting long term injuries.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Strange window so far mind. Don't get me wrong, signing two players of the quality of Botman and Isak is sensational stuff, but at the start of the window I'd have though CM and RW were the priority.

I definitely think RW was/is priority, but having not been able to land Diaby or Harrison they have moved to other areas and may end up getting a loan in to cover that area for a season.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Strange window so far mind. Don't get me wrong, signing two players of the quality of Botman and Isak is sensational stuff, but at the start of the window I'd have though CM and RW were the priority.

LCB was a priority because we had no cover for Burn. Think we went beyond what was needed, but it's all good. Been proven a wise decision with Targett missing two games.

They’ve said it all along though that they are looking for a certain level of player. It’s clear our approach is to buy between the age of 22-24 where possible. Still, there must have been some RWs in that bracket we looked at and just didn’t think we could get it done, e.g. Diaby. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we get him at a later date, provided we continue to push on 

Just now, gbandit said:

They’ve said it all along though that they are looking for a certain level of player. It’s clear our approach is to buy between the age of 22-24 where possible. Still, there must have been some RWs in that bracket we looked at and just didn’t think we could get it done, e.g. Diaby. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we get him at a later date, provided we continue to push on 

We were apparently trying to get Cornet on a structured deal, but we thought that was due to limited spending ability. Not sure what to think, tbh. And that's good because it probably means the selling clubs are also in the dark.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

For me CF (at least as cover) and RW were the priorities. The strange detour for me was the pursuit of Maddison. Paqueta I could understand from his versatility and physicality, but Maddison is too dedicated an AM to simply slot into the team as we've been playing. He's a fantastic player, but I think we'd need tactical changes to accommodate him.

Guest HTT II

I think Howe eventually wants us to be set up like how LFC play, offensively anyway, in the final 3rd. 3 attackers, once central, two wide.