Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I wasn’t too fussed if we did anything in this window but with a winnable semi final on the horizon and a shot at European football another quality addition could be difference. Let Mehrdad loose with the cheque book! 

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

In the Champions League spots and genuine shot at silverware. The temptation to go big must be there...

.... but we should also be wary of departing from our current successful strategy. Eddie puts great store on maintaining harmony and morale within the group and any new signing should be made with that in mind.

This group of players were good enough to get us into this position and there's no need to make any risky buys.

A quality signing or two with the right mentality and character won’t harm the squad harmony at all. If anything it will give a boost and belief to the whole club and its fan base that we can do even better, or at least help us to maintain our momentum. Some of the fringe players or the players that are about to become fringe players know that there’s ambition and that we are looking to improve all the time. This doesn’t mean that we should sign players for the sake of it. Players want the team and club to get better and better. It’s not school yard football, it’s at the very highest level where the winners want more and more improvement both individually and as a whole collectively. The club will improve if there’s the right deal to do and rightly so. It’s a whole different scenario doing it the circus style like Chelsea. But we aren’t that thankfully. We are more likely to get bad “squad harmony” if we get some injuries to key players and start suffering result wise. Winning is what keeps squads motivated and happy. Competition shouldn’t be a cause of concern. 

Edited by Ikon

24 minutes ago, Ikon said:

A quality signing or two with the right mentality and character won’t harm the squad harmony at all. If anything it will give a boost and belief to the whole club and its fan base that we can do even better, or at least help us to maintain our momentum. Some of the fringe players or the players that are about to become fringe players know that there’s ambition and that we are looking to improve all the time. This doesn’t mean that we should sign players for the sake of it. Players want the team and club to get better and better. It’s not kidney garden football, it’s at the very highest level where the winners want more and more improvement both individually and as a whole collectively. The club will improve if there’s the right deal to do and rightly so. It’s a whole different scenario doing it the circus style like Chelsea. But we aren’t that thankfully. We are more likely to get bad “squad harmony” if we get some injuries to key players and start suffering result wise. Winning is what keeps squads motivated and happy. Competition shouldn’t be a cause of concern. 

Is that what Liverpool play or Hearts? 

34 minutes ago, Cronky said:

.... but we should also be wary of departing from our current successful strategy. Eddie puts great store on maintaining harmony and morale within the group and any new signing should be made with that in mind.

This group of players were good enough to get us into this position and there's no need to make any risky buys.

This is undeniable, but I wonder what percentage of footballers actually are arseholes who won't play for the team. I'd imagine it is more uncommon than the average fan suspects. I think most of them would be weeded out long before they got anywhere near a Premier League team. You only ever reach that level through loads of improvement and by absorbing ever increasing amounts of tactics.

A short (or worse) injury for Joelinton and a "seen em given" straight red for Bruno makes us lightweight in midfield for three games. We're unlikely to go a whole season without a red card. Especially if we get more Leeds home type exercises in frustration. That's my main concern.

I feel its almost impossible NOT to fall into the trap of wanting so much so soon. 

I'm veering from wild excitement to pragmatism with lashings of unrealism and not just a hint of hypocrisy. 

Early doors on Tues I'm telling the wife that, tho I love them, Longstaff & Burn are "probs the two we need to improve upon in the short term". Then I remind myself these two have played significant roles in our meteoric rise. Alright, Sean seemingly can't hit a barn door with a banjo but his overall contribution is immense. It's just more frustrating due to the amount of chances he gets. That in itself is an achievement given his role.

All of them really. It's almost too hard o comprehend. I think Howe himself has said that with natural progression some popular players will fall by the wayside. Some, Jonjo AND Sean himself, have said as much too. 

One can't help but get caught up in the window sale of potential targets but I think we'll just have to trust the process and the decision makers. 

Let's face it, they've been bang on so far.  Even (tin hat on) with Chris Wood. 

Edited by Groundhog63

Our backup options showed what they are capable of against Sheffield Wednesday. We have to try and strengthen in the position we are in now. We can't just expect our first 11 to play every game and stay fit for the next half of the season especially with how intense we play. That would be the risky option. 

I wouldn't worry about upsetting morale, bringing in quality palyers gives everyone a lift. We are being properly run now, everyone they've signed has been a good character, there shouldn't be anything to be worried about.  

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

My main worry is that we're an injury to Bruno, Miggy or Botman away from starting the likes of Murphy et al.

One would think that the current intensity we play with is likely to drop off towards the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

I'm not saying that we should. I'm saying that it must be tempting.

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

My main worry is that we're an injury to Bruno, Miggy or Botman away from starting the likes of Murphy et al.

One would think that the current intensity we play with is likely to drop off towards the end of the season. 

I can see the intensity remaining as long as we are in contention for something, there’s a determination in this squad that is making 2+2 equal much more than 4.

If we did drop away for any reason then I could see the intensity drop but we’re talking last few games of the season really

9 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Stronger bench should be the priority. They don't need to be maddison quality although that would be great..they just need to be better than Murphy,wood and the likes.

That will hopefully be achieved by getting some genuine competition for places.

I think we need to be signing starting quality players, to genuinely compete for starting spots and possibly even replace them in time. The same way Bruno did when he came in. 

Would be nice to have some tactical versatility and proper options off the bench. Like a different type of midfielder to say Longstaff, a more typical left back than Burn and a different wide man to someone like Joelinton or Willock. 

ATM, the only ones you can bring on to change the game in an attacking sense are ASM and Isak. Both have missed a decent chunk of time through injury and all. 

Just now, Colos Short and Curlies said:

If we did drop away for any reason then I could see the intensity drop but we’re talking last few games of the season really

That scenario would only happen if we slipped to mid table obscurity and, even then, Eddie would still have them by the nuts. Teasing as much out as possible. Every last drop. 

The reality is, if we stay the course, it'll go to the wire. Might just be for 6th or 7th but the wire. 

All the talk of striking while the iron is hot regarding our push for top 4.... well surely the same could be said for the LC final (should we make it?)

Would be rather nice to have some non cup tied reinforcements in place for a potential trip to Wembley.

Agree that it would be nice to have options but feels a push to integrate them into the team so they’d have a significant role by Feb. Especially as we’ll likely do late business if we do any. Would still be great to have more bench options 

10 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Stronger bench should be the priority. They don't need to be maddison quality although that would be great..they just need to be better than Murphy,wood and the likes.

Disagree myself, other than younger players with bags of potential I feel that we should be bringing in quality to improve/compete with the first team.  

Under Eddie I trust anyone to be slowly integrated and not disrupt the squad.