Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, Astroblack said:

We could do so much better than McTomminay. We have to aim higher. Could probably get a goal scoring starting midfielder from the French or Spanish league for cheaper. 

That comes with risk. McTominay is a solid 5/10 every week.

1 minute ago, Astroblack said:

I’ve heard A LOT of Man U fans talk about how McTominnay hides from the ball. Is this true? 

Saw a tifo video not too long back and it demonstrated his average positioning was poor for receiving the ball. Whether that’s because he hides or poor tactical understanding I don’t know 

2 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

I’ve heard A LOT of Man U fans talk about how McTominnay hides from the ball. Is this true? 

I've heard that more from opposition fans to be honest. I've struggled to see it myself in games. I've always felt he's better than people give him credit for.

1 hour ago, kocunar said:

And Bayern bought Davies at which age and from which league? That's all I'm saying, doesn't have to be specifically him, although he is very similar to Davies trajectory wise so far.

Wiley has half the number of MLS appearances Davies achieved at the same age, and hasn’t got a senior international appearance to his name. Davies played and scored for Canada aged 16. As you know, Davies is an unreal player. In all honesty, I’ve never heard of Wiley, but he doesn’t seem to be anywhere near. 

11 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Comments here suggest so.

-“But people wank him off because he has "fighting spirit" which I assume means running around like a headless chicken constantly hiding from the ball chasing shadows and when he does get the ball, gets dispossessed right away.”

-“Happened with the lad against us too. English football culture needs to lose the mentality that kicking the shit out of players out of frustration is a good thing.”

-“Who would be interested in this guy if he were to be let go by United. I've said it many a time, these are the sorts of players United need to get rid of, he's noway near the required standard.”

-“If Everton do go down he can go there and find his level”

-“Genuinely watch him, it's almost like he purposefully hides behind opposition players to avoid the ball. He can't be that stupid.”

etc etc…

Edited by Manxst

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I've heard that more from opposition fans to be honest. I've struggled to see it myself in games. I've always felt he's better than people give him credit for.

He'd be fifth choice here. WHAM, Palace, Forest, Everton. We don't need Scott McTomminay. 

Is there any chance this is a classic case of misdirection? Otherwise I think it would be naive for us to be so openly detailed with such specific transfer plans unless we hope we can lull Everton into doing a Chelsea and blowing us out of the water with a daft bid. 

I'm more than half expecting that this is just noise because why would we, or any club, give such a narrative on their transfer plans. If everyone is looking at our left hand as we claim to be after Scott McTominay then all of a sudden we reveal some future legend with our right hand then that's good, isn't it? 

I don't mind us spinning a narrative that, in relative terms, we don't have a pot to piss in, because otherwise prices are going to be inflated and we'll be held to ransom. As much as I love the man, I don't believe a single word Eddie Howe says in interviews regarding injuries and transfers because why would he reveal such precise information to the public, and other teams, when he can sow doubt if player X might be available or he might not. 

If we have to endure weapons grade horseshit in the media regarding our transfers whilst behind the scenes we're working on golden nuggets then I'm sure I can handle that. If it means giving our amazing sports journalism a wide berth then so be it, I'm sure I'll cope. 

Obviously, I reserve my right to lose my shit if/when McTominay rocks up at the MetroCentre needing a lift after buying his weight in dubiously fashionable sportswear. 

We need to build a squad but signing players like him is just simply the wrong way to do it. We need to buy players who push current starters to the bench, not players to sit on the bench behind them. Young prospects with potential are obviously a different case but that doesn't apply to 26 year old castoffs. 

33 minutes ago, Pata said:

We need to build a squad but signing players like him is just simply the wrong way to do it. We need to buy players who push current starters to the bench, not players to sit on the bench behind them. Young prospects with potential are obviously a different case but that doesn't apply to 26 year old castoffs. 

If we sign McTominay, he's playing CM/#6/DM more often than not, not sitting on the bench.

Edited by Keegans Export

7 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

If we sign McTominay, he's playing CM/#6/DM more often than not, not sitting on the bench.

He shouldn’t, don’t think he’s significantly better than Longstaff and would never start him ahead of Bruno/Joelinton/Willock in the midfield.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

When Howe first arrived Joe Willock was a comical midfielder and now he’s a few goals away from being an absolute monster.

On paper someone like McTominay is appalling but I would be excited to see how anyone develops here tbh. 

Willock was also a 21 year old whom had scored eight times in 14 Premier League appearances the season before Howe arrived, and who set a new record by becoming the youngest player to score in seven consecutive games. There was always potential there. McTominay is 27 at the end of this year, and has never had or fulfilled any semblance of potential, despite playing in a CL team nearly every season. 

6 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Willock was also a 21 year old whom had scored eight times in 14 Premier League appearances the season before Howe arrived, and who set a new record by becoming the youngest player to score in seven consecutive games. There was always potential there. McTominay is 27 at the end of this year, and has never had or fulfilled any semblance of potential, despite playing in a CL team nearly every season. 

I’m talking as a midfielder, he never looked close to a box to box player when Howe arrived.

26 minutes ago, Pata said:

He shouldn’t, don’t think he’s significantly better than Longstaff and would never start him ahead of Bruno/Joelinton/Willock in the midfield.

I agree, but if Howe really wants to sign him, he's not doing so just to add depth to the bench - it's to play #6.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I’m talking as a midfielder, he never looked close to a box to box player when Howe arrived.

Fair enough. But Willock was also being coached at the time by ‘Let’s Play!’ Bruce. McTominay is being coached by a multiple title and cup winning manager. 

McTominay seems a non-starter. We have a poor relationship with Man United, he's 27 and his fee and wages would be excessive. 

With us being a closed shop for information these days, it feels like journalist are going back players that we've previously bid for or shown interest in McTominay, Maddison, Pedro, etc. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

McTominay seems a non-starter. We have a poor relationship with Man United, he's 27 and his fee and wages would be excessive. 

With us being a closed shop for information these days, it feels like journalist are going back players that we've previously bid for or shown interest in McTominay, Maddison, Pedro, etc. 

They've always loved selling us their worst players.

Are we now a club that has clear targets, leaks them when the window is closed, and still ends up going for them?

With Botman or Isak even, weren't enquiries made before it became clear in the press that we were in for them?

There is nothing for the club to gain from "in for McTominay" coming out in the press in March.

The second baldy says "the worry is", in that article, what he's actually saying is "I think...".

It's all an opinion piece. I suspect there is interest in McTominay.