Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

This talk of "but he'd improve us" is missing the point. Every signing we make has to be one that will challenge Man U, I don't see how buying their cast offs is taking us where we want to go.

Unless Howe has seen something everyone else is missing, including Ten Hag.

How much do we think McTominay would cost?

If he's available relatively cheaply I could see the logic as we're going to need a lot of bodies in this summer and FFP means we're not going to be able to get the best player on our list in every position.

If going for McTominay instead of the best DM we could attract saves us 20 or 30 million and that money means we can buy an absolutely top class winger instead of a good one then it may be a worthwhile sacrifice?

I don't know, though. Seems we'll end up paying at least close to 20m for him and I'd be disappointed that we couldn't find a younger player with much more potential to develop for that kind of money. Isn't that a huge part of what Ashworth was supposed to bring to the table? McTominay just seems like such an unimaginative target. Maybe Howe just absolutely loves him?

2 minutes ago, LV said:

He wouldn’t be my choice by a country mile but if all 3 agree then he must have something. 

He's a decent player, he's homegrown, he's a replacement for Shelvey and he's arguably better than Longstaff. He would also only cost £15-20m.

That's what he brings to the table. It's a depth signing at worst.

No excuse for this after we’ve unearthed Botman, Bruno and Isak. Who would have been the British equivalent and what would they have cost even if they were about.

‘Howe, who has admitted it has left him short in that department, always prefers to sign players he has watched extensively and tends to prioritise players with experience of playing in British football’.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, Froggy said:

He's a decent player, he's homegrown, he's a replacement for Shelvey and he's arguably better than Longstaff. He would also only cost £15-20m.

This is precisely the sort of reasoning I was talking about in the previous post. Being better than Longstaff shouldn't be the remit.

Just now, Froggy said:

I don’t want him if you’re touting him about :lol:

If the reports are true about him wanting away because of lack of gametime, I doubt he sees himself as a depth signing. If he's not a sizeable upgrade on Longstaff - and he isn't - we shouldn't be pursuing.

Edited by thomas

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

This is precisely the sort of reasoning I was talking about in the previous post. Being better than Longstaff shouldn't be the remit.

He smacks of an Everton signing tbh.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

That too for £15-20m. Shows how much he really values him. :lol:

I like him honestly, but he's not going to get many minutes in a midfield of Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno. It makes sense to sell. Your midfield isn't anywhere near that quality yet with the exception of shit Bruno, so I think he has value to you for another year or two and that £15-20m is a good price.

Edited by Froggy

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

I like him honestly, but he's not going to get many minutes in a midfield of Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno. It makes sense to sell. Your midfield isn't anywhere near that quality yet with the exception of shit Bruno, so I think he has value to you for another year or two and that £15-20m is a good price.

I dont' doubt he's better than what we've got. What I doubt is that he's the best we can get. There's the whole world to choose from to buy a midfielder, I really can't see why we would want a player who wasn't good enough for Man U.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

But he's not better than Bruno, Joelinton, Willock or Longstaff 

I’ve totally understood the McTominay links last summer, even January. Now? Absolutely not. We’ve got a summer window to take a potential big step forward and he’d be an expensive cover.