Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Are we now a club that has clear targets, leaks them when the window is closed, and still ends up going for them?

With Botman or Isak even, weren't enquiries made before it became clear in the press that we were in for them?

There is nothing for the club to gain from "in for McTominay" coming out in the press in March.

I think all the other clubs will be too busy targeting actual good midfielders to care about our pursuit of McTominay.

Not a massive fan of McTominay. That's not to say he's a bad player, he just wouldn't be your Bruno esq signing.

I suspect the reason we might be targeting the likes of him and Tierney is something to do with homegrown quotas? Or have I got that wrong and it doesn't work like that.

Also, if we do sign him, it will be a decent deal. We won't over pay (I know value is a subjective thing).

I'm certainly not worried. Our transfer team have nailed it so far.

14 minutes ago, STM said:

Not a massive fan of McTominay. That's not to say he's a bad player, he just wouldn't be your Bruno esq signing.

I suspect the reason we might be targeting the likes of him and Tierney is something to do with homegrown quotas? Or have I got that wrong and it doesn't work like that.

Also, if we do sign him, it will be a decent deal. We won't over pay (I know value is a subjective thing).

We already have 16 homegrown players (players trained in England). Both of those add nothing to our home grown (at our club) quota.

24 minutes ago, STM said:

It’s 100% an issue for us moving forward, when you consider who a lot of the current homegrown players in the squad are.

Lascelles, Ritchie, Dummett, Darlow, Fraser, Lewis are all coming to the end of their time here (bit harsh on Lascelles possibly). Even Wilson, Trippier and Burn probably aren’t long term players.

We have to replace some, if not most, with other homegrown players.

46 minutes ago, STM said:

We overpaid for Gordon tbh so wouldn’t rule out us overpaying for Mctominay.

Im usual positive  for any transfer, but not this one. Serious question is he any better than Longstaff? If so what? I know Longstaff has more minutes this season but hes been superior to Mc this season.

Edited by nufc123

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

With Gordon, you can at least argue that you're investing in potential.

Absolutely, I wasn’t a big fan of the signing but yeah there is definitely potential. Still think at 45 million we overpaid though.

McTominay’s ill disciplined and a walking red card, move over Nicky Butt and Alan Smith we’ve got our next manc reject. Give me North Shields finest any day ahead of this useless twat.

If Tierney and McTominay are really the top targets the blue print for transfers appears to have changed. Give Nickson back full control if this is Ashworth and Howe working in tandem.

Lets hope Ashworth was behind Brightons signings and not the chief scout who went to Chelsea. Paying over the top transfer fees for Top 4 rejects is not the way to topple them in the short or long term.

To reach the “next level” we need to sign players with proper technical ability to  to progress even further. Scott doesn’t have this. We need players that are transformative and add top quality. It’s obviously not only about technical ability, but in CM i think it’s vital whether you are a DM or a more attacking one. Look what a player like Bruno can do because of his ability as well as being so press resistant. 

Get real quality in and keep the current starting players as squad players if the new ones are on a different level. It doesn’t have to be proven big names. But there’s tons of young good quality players out there with the added bonus of having massive potential. 

Just an example, but someone like say Ugarte for £40-50m is a much much better investment than Mctominay for £20m or whatever. Probably even more. He’s a limited player even if Howe could get him to perform better than he is now.  Can’t make wine out of water.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

0_GettyImages-1441016694.thumb.jpg.fe1e7a3be83bbdcb3676f995d5d3cfd3.jpg

He wasn’t as bad in the Bundesliga as he was with us playing in the wrong position in a new league with the pressure of the #9 shirt in a shit team. 

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

McTominay’s ill disciplined and a walking red card, move over Nicky Butt and Alan Smith we’ve got our next manc reject. 

He has zero career red cards.

Just now, Ikon said:

He was good under Rafa despite not scoring. Howe did the world for him after Bruce. 

But you're admitting here that he's improved Almiron and Joelinton, no reason why he couldn't do the same with McTominay. I mean, don't get me wrong the thought of getting McTominay isn't an exciting one, but Howe is more than capable of getting a tune out of him.