Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

McTominay is not even a depth signing. We don’t have a deep squad, we can’t be buying players who are worse than our current options. We need to buy better players so our current options that aren’t quite good enough become squad players, e.g. Longstaff

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

McTominay was one of our better players during that period. 

We finished 3rd and 2nd in the league with him as a starting midfielder. Shite for us maybe in your opinion but dream stuff for you right now. 

Yeah but we have aspirations to finish above you.  How much did you spend in the last 10 years say on players vs us?  Even just last summer.  You beat us in the final and Casemiro is fucking class but we could have easily been relegated last season.  Ten Haag is doing well, he turned around (what I called a toxic club, which you took exception to when I said that, he got rid of the toxic elements, built a functional team).

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

McTominay was one of our better players during that period. 

We finished 3rd and 2nd in the league with him as a starting midfielder. Shite for us maybe in your opinion but dream stuff for you right now. 

Yeah we got into the Champs league with the likes of Andy Griffin and Andy O'brien. Likeable sorts but it doesn't mean they were really good.

Edit.....what is your 2nd paragraph about ?

Edited by madras

I think you've done relatively well so far not to get ripped off, but you can't build a top 4 team quickly without spending big.

You need to overspend on 4-5 starting 11 talent players to instantly compete, then you can pad out your squad with young talented players like Caicedo was 2-3 years ago. 

It’s obviously far too soon to tell if Gordon is going to be a decent or shite signing but facts are that he’s not looked all that amazing so far. Doesn’t mean he won’t, just not right now. But that’s a lot of money spent, if he wished away another 30m+ on a certified dud like McTominay, that would be a lot of negativity from supporters and probably the owners.. I just can’t see him being that stupid.

Gordon was a punt.. that’s fair enough, but we need to be bringing in players where the stats/data show exactly what we’re getting. Just like when Bruno signed. We knew we were getting a progressive midfielder.

24 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

I think you've done relatively well so far not to get ripped off, but you can't build a top 4 team quickly without spending big.

Well that's precisely what we are doing. Our manager is defying the usual wisdom, and has lots of previous with this and his last club.

But given that winning the Premiership now seems to take 90 points, some increased spending would probably be needed for that. There's quite a gap between 4th and 1st. 

I read once that under FFP we can sign "3 and a half Isaks" and we've all read that we will see PIF flex their muscles for the first time this window. Therefore I think a summer window along the lines of:

Big outlay/transformative signings:

James Maddison

Diaby or Raphinha

Alexis MacAllister (hard to say what he would go for given the range between Cucurella and Trossard)

Free signings:

Alex Grimaldo

Marcus Thuram

Plus whatever happens with Jamaal Lascelles and replacing him would have us competing on all fronts. Maybe ASM would go too.

Plus some poaching of players from academies across the world to pad out the youth ranks.

Outgoings:

Karius, Manquillo, Lascelles*, Dummett, Hendrick, Hayden, Ritchie, ASM*

The most important piece of business, not selling Bruno. That is as much of a statement in itself as we will no doubt have cunts like Real Madrid and Citeh coming for him.

Squad:

Pope, Dubravka

Trippier, Ashby, Krafth, Grimaldo, Targett, Schar, Botman, Burn, Lascelles*

Bruno, Joelinton, MacAllister, Maddison, Willock, Longstaff

ASM*, Diaby/Raphinha, Miggy, Gordon, Thuram, Isak, Wilson

Spoiler

Allow a man to dream of a McTominay free transfer window :indi:

Edited by Skeletor

8 hours ago, madras said:

Edit.....what is your 2nd paragraph about ?

I was responding to Rodney saying we were shite when McTominay was a starting midfielder for us. I pointed out that we finished 3rd and 2nd in the league with him as a starting midfielder. 

8 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Absolutely not true at all.  Even the Gordon signing was clearly better assuming we have to pay £30m +.

I'm not saying the signing of McTominay is dream stuff, I'm saying finishing 3rd and 2nd is dream stuff. You boys would be absolutely elated to finish third and rightly so. I'm simply saying that for all the abuse getting thrown McTominay's way here, he was an integral part of us finishing 3rd and 2nd in the league.

Once upon a time McFred was on fire. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We're already a win away from moving into that dream situation of 3rd. Providing we end up in a CL spot, it goes without saying that we should be aiming for better players than McTominay 

And if you don't end up in a CL spot?

9 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

You need to overspend on 4-5 starting 11 talent players to instantly compete, then you can pad out your squad with young talented players like Caicedo was 2-3 years ago. 

They aren't looking to do things quickly or instantly compete? So that statement is redundant! Amanda Stavely said on takeover day itself they are very patient!

He may be an ok player and add depth, but I'm not a fan of spending £40m or whatever is being quoted on him, and I'm especially not a fan of giving that amount to Man U for him so they can go buy someone better.

Free transfer or small fee? Fair enough. But not for those numbers, and especially not to a direct rival.