Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Brighton tier 1 has said they don’t do clauses for whatever that is worth. 

and even even if “mechanism” exist for us It probably worth it as we have a lot of areas to address. 

I agree with not wanting to pay the huge prices Brighton ask but on the other hand if it was a case I’d say pay 70 for Caicedo or sign Mctominay on the cheap I’d go big money on Caicedo every time.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I agree with not wanting to pay the huge prices Brighton ask but on the other hand if it was a case I’d say pay 70 for Caicedo or sign Mctominay on the cheap I’d go big money on Caicedo every time.

I mean yeah but we have other options than those two thankfully. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up with say Lavia and Tielmans. (Athletic mentioned we wanted 2 central midfielders). 

Back in March the Athletic had us having a three man shortlist for left back of Tierney from Arsenal, Lodi from Forest and Robinson from Fulham.

There is a good Robinson compilation on YouTube but he has been linked with Man City sporadically since January, some of the footage will be from the Championship season but you get the idea of what a natural left back can offer.

Edited by Matt1892

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I mean yeah but we have other options than those two thankfully. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up with say Lavia and Tielmans. (Athletic mentioned we wanted 2 central midfielders). 

I’d be surprised with Tielemans but would love Lavia. I think Thuram will be our big target as he whilst been predominantly a number 8, he seems capable of playing as a 6 as well.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

Back in March the Athletic had is having a three man shortlist for left back of Tierney from Arsenal, Lodi from Forest and Robinson from Fulham.

There is a good Robinson compilation on YouTube but he has been linked with Man City sporadically since January, some of the footage will be from the Championship season but you get the idea of what a natural left back can offer.

Be a no from me for Robinson and Lodi, both not good enough for us imo.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d be surprised with Tielemans but would love Lavia. I think Thuram will be our big target as he whilst been predominantly a number 8, he seems capable of playing as a 6 as well.

I think Tielemans being free makes it hugely appealing, I envisage he could play the Bruno roll and do well albeit not to Bruno’s level of course. 

I think Lavia would also be moulded into a longstaff like 8 under the gaffas methods. 

they both also tick the premier league box and should be somewhat affordable. 

14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Be a no from me for Robinson and Lodi, both not good enough for us imo.

Tend to agree, both are good players but we need to aim higher. Someone extremely tidy and athletic with almost  no weaknesses. Not easy to find like. 

55 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’ve grown to like the idea of a pacy Burn like tall fullback.  Like a young Tyrone Mings or Ake.   

We’ve underperformed from Set pieces this season but with our size profile we can improve. Tighten up in both boxes and we concede 3 or 4 less and score 3 or 4 more.  

Look at what we have with Trippier on the other side. Now imagine that on the left as well. Once we have a mobile, technically-gifted left back with pace we'll realise how limited we've been with Burn playing there. All credit to him for what he's done but I want a proper modern full back doing proper modern full back things, not a CB filling in 

Just now, Holmesy said:

Look at what we have with Trippier on the other side. Now imagine that on the left as well. Once we have a mobile, technically-gifted left back with pace we'll realise how limited we've been with Burn playing there. All credit to him for what he's done but I want a proper modern full back doing proper modern full back things, not a CB filling in 

Can we get away with having a fullback as attacking as Trippier on the left with Bruno playing the 6? I’m not sure…

I actually wonder whether Trippier might eventually end up playing inside more, with the LB pushed up higher. He has the attributes to play that FB/CM role quite well. 

Not sure if that is in Howe's plans, depends on what our approach is going to be. 

I think the LB signing is going to say a lot about how we are going to play.

A Burn type LB who can sit in and be a 3rd CB vs a Tierney type overlapping LB vs a Zinchencko type full back are very different approaches

The reason it's been good to have Burn at LB this season is because we lack a proper CDM. Bruno is a 6 really, so when we push forwards so does Bruno, which means Burn tucks back into a back three. If we bring in a quality CDM we can allow for both fullback to push up and leave both CBs and the CDM at the back to defend. 

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Definitely, they just learn if one goes, the other sits, like its always been!

Fair play, but that would leave us really exposed for pace at the back if we have say a defensive 3 of Tripps Schar, Botman. 

im still having nightmares about what Watkins did to us :lol:

Just now, r0cafella said:

Fair play, but that would leave us really exposed for pace at the back if we have say a defensive 3 of Tripps Schar, Botman. 

im still having nightmares about what Watkins did to us :lol:

Burn isn't exactly fast? Getting a left-back who can do what Trippier does will be huge as it means he's not bombing on all game. As he gets older that's going to be a problem. Get a left-back who can do the same and it can be him that sits back and we can vary our attack more. 

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say we want a LB in the Trippier mode and a RCB in the Dan Burn mode. 

In addition to the extra depth, that would allow us more flexibility in our formation - we can play the extra attacking full back one on each side or we can play Trippier and Burn or new LB and new RCB. It means we could rest Trippier but still keep the same shape, albeit the width coming from LB rather than RB.

40 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Back in March the Athletic had us having a three man shortlist for left back of Tierney from Arsenal, Lodi from Forest and Robinson from Fulham.

Watching that really highlights for me how lacking Burn is technically. Having Burn as a rock solid defensive option who’s a beast in the air alongside a technical full back with pace opens up a lot of option tactically for next season. 

Anyone seen much of Carlos Augusto? Seems to be produce impressive numbers offensively at least. Contract expires in 2024 i think. Could be available for 15-20m. I know we have been linked. I like Tierney but i don't like the feeling i have that he will struggle for fitness. To have a good season we need our key starting players to stay fit most of the season. You can talk all you want about the medical team will know better and blah blah. Not in every single case, but injury prone players just don't become super human all of a sudden. Makes you wonder why/if Arsenal let him go relatively cheaply. There could be other reasons too, like private ones as in him wanting to move more up north or whatever.

Edited by Ikon

38 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I think the LB signing is going to say a lot about how we are going to play.

A Burn type LB who can sit in and be a 3rd CB vs a Tierney type overlapping LB vs a Zinchencko type full back are very different approaches

Not necessarily, Tierney is very good defensively so could dependably sit back if required. He’s obviously more of a threat offensively (with his pace and delivery) than Burn too.

Just now, McCormick said:

Not necessarily, Tierney is very good defensively so could dependably sit back if required. He’s obviously more of a threat offensively (with his pace and delivery) than Burn too.

Aye Tierney can comfortably play LCB in a 3.