Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

He did make the point that the same people that gave everyone abuse for watching him speak and listen to his views have no issues with the Saudis owning Newcastle, I think its worth a watch to hear his side but he said nothing to convince me that he's a thug 

1 minute ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Was just going to say the same. Also every club seems to get rid of their unwanted owner but us

1 minute ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Was just going to say the same. Also every club seems to get rid of their unwanted owner but us

Derby too now, subject to EFL approval.

On 06/04/2021 at 13:33, Paully said:

Would always be a crowd watching the FT scores outside the old Northern Electric shop near Greys monument after a home game. Opposite where Greggs is now. Think its Boots these days. Used to be either that or the football pink for the results in them days. Happy days.

2021-04-05-100.png?w=860&h=821

https://experimental361.com/2021/04/04/expected-goals-table-premier-league-3-5-apr-2021/ I've been following the guy who makes these for years, it's really shocking when you step back and see things from these (expected) tables. Everton below us in points! Shows Brighton's position excellently too as they should be far more clinical than they are proving to be - as bad as we've been, there are a few teams far worse apparently

This is my problem with xG. I understand it as a metric to predict games on a more individual basis, but stuff like this makes it look like a load of nonesense. 

Burnley are a far more effective team than both us and Fulham. Everton might not be as good as their position suggests but worse than us and Fulham? Really?

Theres a reason why Fulham are below us despite us being absolutely rancid. They're not very good. They might well stay up, but it'll be largely down to our inability to win games of football. Having them sat 14th in a table that's supposed to measure how good a team actually is just seems flat out disingenuous.

5 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

This is my problem with xG. I understand it as a metric to predict games on a more individual basis, but stuff like this makes it look like a load of nonesense. 

Burnley are a far more effective team than both us and Fulham. Everton might not be as good as their position suggests but worse than us and Fulham? Really?

Theres a reason why Fulham are below us despite us being absolutely rancid. They're not very good. They might well stay up, but it'll be largely down to our inability to win games of football. Having them sat 14th in a table that's supposed to measure how good a team actually is just seems flat out disingenuous.

xG is a measure of how good the chances are basically, based on where the shot is from, angle, distance, foot vs head etc etc 

If you create lots of chances you can have a great xG but if your finishing is worse than the model suggests you'll obviously end up much worse off. And same with defending, you can concede lots of chances but have better saving than average. 

It's not really a measure of how 'good' a team you are, because finishing, saving, blocking etc are all part of that equation as well. It's just one measure to show how good the opportunities you have and concede are.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo