Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Disco said:

He is, be shite on Soccer Saturday though. Not that I watch it anymore.

Yeah, very little room for oh so thoughtful open-ended and provocative questions about the not-at-all standard issues. 

26 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think its a compliment to say you'd be shite as a football pundit on SS tbf. Its unreal I'd rather listen to Mark Chapman's thoughts on football over any one of the pundits that sully that channel. He was Chris Moyles' sidekick ffs.

:lol: no he wasn’t. That was the other one, “Comedy” Dave.

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Everton in trouble?

No, like it says, they'll work with the Premier league to get round it. Had it been Watford or Palace, the book would be getting thrown.

If they're relegated they absolutely are fucked financially. It's a stay of execution in many ways.

Their first team squad is chronically bloated. We're talking like almost 45 players involved this season. They should save about £12m in wages when Gylfi Sigurdsson, Fabian Delph, and Cenk Tosun leave but I'd imagine any available money (before further departures) will be funnelled into central defenders. Yerry Mina isn't bad but he's injury prone. Then you have the English quartet of Ben Godfrey, Michael Keane, Jarrad Branthwaite, and Mason Holgate. It's debatable if any of that group are good enough, let alone good enough to play in a Frank Lampard system. 

Edited by Thiago

2 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Everton in trouble?

Unless that includes infrastructure spending that's the more than the allowed losses under FFP over three seasons in just one year :kasper:

Makes a mockery of FFP if they don't get punished for it. I expect there will be legal challenges from the relegated clubs if they don't.

12 minutes ago, Thiago said:

If they're relegated they absolutely are fucked financially. It's a stay of execution in many ways.

Their first team squad is chronically bloated. We're talking like almost 45 players involved this season. They should save about £12m in wages when Gylfi Sigurdsson, Fabian Delph, and Cenk Tosun leave but I'd imagine any available money (before further departures) will be funnelled into central defenders. Yerry Mina isn't bad but he's injury prone. Then you have the English quartet of Ben Godfrey, Michael Keane, Jarrad Branthwaite, and Mason Holgate. It's debatable if any of that group are good enough, let alone good enough to play in a Frank Lampard system. 

I totally thought they had been Gylfi after the allegations came out in the summer

15 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Yeah, it's kind of odd how quiet the trail has gone on that.

The courts have a mad back log of trials, it's the same reason Mendy was bailed. Another romping success of the Tory government is bringing the justice system to its knees.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The courts have a mad back log of trials, it's the same reason Mendy was bailed. Another romping success of the Tory government is bringing the justice system to its knees.

Hasn't been charged afaik.

1 hour ago, Thiago said:

I've no idea why Lampard is so highly rated, and now I'm supposed to believe he has a system. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

I've no idea why Lampard is so highly rated, and now I'm supposed to believe he has a system. :lol:

To be fair, even Bruce had a 'system' it was just written with a pen from a betting shop on a receipt from a service station. 

It doesn't necessarily mean complex or even successful. Rather, under Lampard, defenders play much higher up the field and they're asked to build out from the back. That's easier said than done as shown by the contrasting fortunes of Van Dijk and Maguire. The issue under him is compounded by the fact he often leaves his defenders open and facing 1v1 situations as we saw at Chelsea. 

Just now, Thiago said:

To be fair, even Bruce had a 'system' it was just written with a pen from a betting shop on a receipt from a service station. 

It doesn't necessarily mean complex or even successful. Rather, under Lampard, defenders play much higher up the field and they're asked to build out from the back. That's easier said than done as shown by the contrasting fortunes of Van Dijk and Maguire. The issue under him is compounded by the fact he often leaves his defenders open and facing 1v1 situations as we saw at Chelsea. 

I just don't see him as having any sort of managerial identity at all other than being not very good. 

2 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

I just don't see him as having any sort of managerial identity at all other than being not very good. 

I think we're fast getting into semantics here because I think there are many a manager that has a system but no identity. 

17 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Unless that includes infrastructure spending that's the more than the allowed losses under FFP over three seasons in just one year :kasper:

Makes a mockery of FFP if they don't get punished for it. I expect there will be legal challenges from the relegated clubs if they don't.

Made a loss of £372m over the last 3 years, and only allowed under FFP to lose £105m. Apparently they’re claiming new stadium costs and covid lockdown are extenuating circumstances. Joke. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Made a loss of £372m over the last 3 years, and only allowed under FFP to lose £105m. Apparently they’re claiming new stadium costs and covid lockdown are extenuating circumstances. Joke. 

I don't think stadium costs are included in that loss figure, they're not included in the FFP calculation anyway and every club got a year off FFP for 19/20. So, yeah, absolute joke if no action is taken, the 18th placed club at the end of the season will rightly feel aggrieved that they were allowed to continue to sign players in January while the PL knew knowing they were already way over the FFP limit. Particularly in the context of it being at the same time as tightening the rules to limit us.

If Everton had been challenging the big 6 for a Champions League place they 100% would be docked points.