Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Also, players and other clubs seemingly helping Barca as much as possible over the last year and a bit. 

They financially fucked themselves so hard they should absolutely be dying. They're not though. Any other club in the world in their situation asking players to take pay cuts would be told where to go very quickly but Barca get loaned players for nowt or sign free transfers on lower wages. And they're still talking about trying to sign fucking Haaland and that. 

It's mad. it's like the rest of Europe is seeing a major powerhouse of a club struggling and instead of trying to capitalise on this they're all trying to prop them up.

43 minutes ago, madras said:

Hasn't it (football) always been like this? In amateur days the better players still got paid then I general those with the biggest pockets won out. Just now the figures are larger.

Yes, that's correct, but similarly to the general population, the difference between the richest and poorest is only increasing making it harder and harder for the smaller clubs to compete, and there is nothing to suggest that this will stop anytime soon.

47 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

The worst thing about football in the modern world is it's transformation from a sport, to an entertainment.

Since the formation if Sheffield fc its been entertainment. They were set up in part to make money from the cricket pitch during the winter.

13 hours ago, Yorkie said:

:thup: nailed it as usual. Even VAR traces back to that.

In terms of some things that might not stem from that issue; racism on the terraces, online tribalism/lack of empathy between supporters.

I'd definitely put the tribalism and lack of fan empathy/solidarity down to capitalism. Mainly because of the lack of it everywhere else, the 'I'm alright Jack' individualism and social destruction that came about with neoliberalism in the '70s, and all of that having being driven by the result of having a capitalist system. Or what others might say is an unchecked capitalist system. It's only grown and grown since then really.

The more I think about it the more I think football is a microcosm.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Spot on.

Diving/cheating, club ownerships, prices for fans, over paid primadonnas, VAR and refereeing standard, corrupt officials and institutions, late schedule changes, corrupt/predatory/greedy agents etc all of it can be traced back to this.

Only one there I don't have any problem with is the ridiculous money in football going largely to footballers. If it's going to go anywhere it should go to those doing the work and genuinely creating the wealth.

I think footballers wages are a convenient scapegoat and diversion for people to fixate on instead of the real reasons why unrelated money isn't going where it's needed. Nurses and soldiers usually but also all of the problems in football too.

You only have to look at the U.S to see how players get absolutely shafted financially is what the alternative would be.

3 hours ago, Papavasiliou said:

Also, players and other clubs seemingly helping Barca as much as possible over the last year and a bit. 

They financially fucked themselves so hard they should absolutely be dying. They're not though. Any other club in the world in their situation asking players to take pay cuts would be told where to go very quickly but Barca get loaned players for nowt or sign free transfers on lower wages. And they're still talking about trying to sign fucking Haaland and that. 

It's mad. it's like the rest of Europe is seeing a major powerhouse of a club struggling and instead of trying to capitalise on this they're all trying to prop them up.

They're essentially one of the 'Too big to fail' banks

15 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Are they? When was the last time you saw a handball given in Sunday leagues for the shite we’re seeing now, after the rules were changed specifically for VAR.

It’s not just grassroots too - we’re playing FA Cup games where some games do and some games don’t have VAR. What a farce.

How is that fair? 

Referees are humans. They’ll make mistakes. You’re never going to get perfect decisions, but football is very subjective, so even with an AI robot - you’ll still not get perfect decisions. Two people will view one foul very differently.

We’re measuring offsides now in a way that’s not even possible to measure them with the technology we have. May as well measure a hair with a metre stick.

It’s all shite and a pointless addition to the game at only one level.

This is a terrible point of view - and anti change -

For what reason should you not be able to have a higher standard of authenticating the rules at a higher level ? 

It’s literally the same in every sport - pool in the pub you don’t have a referee or still screens to reset the balls?? 

Yes VAR is shit in its current form - it can be improved upon - but the fact it took so long to come in because of this wierd ‘ keep everything the same’  forever viewpoint is part of the reason it’s not where it should be 

3 hours ago, Papavasiliou said:

Really specific stats that mean absolutely nothing.

"The youngest player to reach 76 goals from open play, in this specific league while not playing for some arbitrarily picked top teams since the last player to do this 5 years ago, who was even younger and therefore completely invalidates this as a record anyway." 

Cricket's the worst for those stats that get significantly less impressive the more you hear of it.

"And that's the quickest 50 ever scored by an English batsman, in a Test match, in South Africa , while batting at number 4, since 1997."

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Only one there I don't have any problem with is the ridiculous money in football going largely to footballers. If it's going to go anywhere it should go to those doing the work and genuinely creating the wealth.

I think footballers wages are a convenient scapegoat and diversion for people to fixate on instead of the real reasons why unrelated money isn't going where it's needed. Nurses and soldiers usually but also all of the problems in football too.

You only have to look at the U.S to see how players get absolutely shafted financially is what the alternative would be.

I agree that it's better it goes to the footballers than anyone else, but at the same time I don't think what they produce is worth what they are getting back, if that makes sense? :lol: 

Ideally I'd like football to be de-funded, to make it cheaper for fans to watch live and on TV, and top flight football to be controlled by respective domestic FA's so everything is scaled back a notch with more focus on the sporting side rather than the entertainment/commercial side. I think that would go a long way in solving many of the problems with the game today.

15 minutes ago, OCK said:

Football Manager has just reminded me how drastically Danny Drinkwater's career went from Premier League winner to ghost. 

£35 million (!) move to Chelsea. Incredible

Ba delivered one of my favourite PL moments at Chelsea tbf. 

I hate the stick players get for their salaries. If it’s not them, it’s the owners that will get the money.  

The Barca thing is interesting. Real Madrid specifically need a competitive Barcelona. Other major European clubs need a competitive Barcelona. There’s so much value in that brand that is mutually beneficial.  I can’t prove this but I feel as if the City and Chelsea CL final would’ve produced less £££ in football than say Bayern vs Real Madrid.  The people in the world with more £££ care more about those brand name football teams than the new brand names. They want to keep it in that little group of clubs. 

One thing I despise about football in England is how serious the pundits take the game. Souness and Neville particularly.  It’s just a fucking game. You’re all making a killing from it. Even if Manchester United are terrible, it’s not that serious. 

Do we take it all that seriously? From what I hear other countries seem to take it more serious. For example in Spain and Italy they go way in depth on tactics, and are all the better for it. It’s probably In part why we have been left behind on certain aspects of the game. 

On 23/03/2022 at 10:16, Papavasiliou said:

Haven't they just taken advantage of their status and pulling power as a club rather than clubs doing them favours? Maybe Man City sold Ferran Torres a bit cheaply but they specifically have lots of links to Barca? Can't think of anything other than that