Yorkie

Kahn

Buffon

Mike Hooper

Neville Southall

Dino Zoff

Van Der Sar

Gianluca Pagliuca

Some of my favourite as a young lad flinging myself around between the jumpers on the shitty field.

Wut  :lol:

Xavi Hernández has written an emotive letter to his former Barcelona squad-mate Andrés Iniesta as the Manchego born player plays his last game in the azul-grana shirt:

An open letter to my friend, Andres Iniesta

The first time I saw Andres play will always stay in my memory. Someone from the club said: ‘Xavi, in the youth team there is a player who will be incredible. They say he is outstanding. Andres is very similar to you.’ Then, when I saw him play, I said to myself: this player is different. He doesn’t play like me, he dribbles and gets past people, can play in numerous positions. Since he was a kid he had the air of an artist for the way in which he used his body before receiving the ball, using both feet equally well. The most surprising thing was his way of placing the ball with his body, without even the necessity to touch the ball.

To watch him play was spectacular. What you imagined outside of the pitch, he did on it. It seemed at times as though he could hear your thoughts. Later he did it with such ease that it gave the impression he didn’t even need to think. Andres always connected well with other players, played with the head held high and did not lose balls. Concepts which we took years to work on with Joan Vila, he had built into his body from the start. He was four years younger than us, but he had it in him from the start.

Andres is for me the most talented player in the history of Spain, that I have seen anywhere. He has a spectacular amount of talent. If we talk about the person, I wouldn’t know where to start. He is admirable in all senses, an example for others and the personification of a team player. He is a leader on the pitch, who always wants the ball. Do you know the importance of that? When many don’t want the ball anywhere near them because there is no way out, he asks for it. Andres always wants the ball.

He is a blessing for his team-mates. This is what it means to have personality, to be a real leaders. A quiet leader, but an authentic leader. As a natural pass-maker all my life, I needed players like Andres, like Leo, like Busquets. They have been the best partners imaginable, always giving me an option even if the situation looked bad. I don’t know how, but Andres always appeared to me in the right moment. Look I’m here! But he didn’t tell it to me by speaking.

We never spoke much on the pitch in over 10 years playing together. It wasn’t necessary. We understood each other with a look.

His body language was always the best means of communicating. Sometimes in games we stood astonished and looked at him – how on earth did he get out of that situation? It was impossible. I got the impression that nothing was impossible for him when he had the ball. Dribbling, final pass, acceleration, one-two, he is as happy playing in midfield as he is on the wing. A true maestro, in every sense of the word.

People thought Andres was not strong. But when he put his body into it, no one was able to take the ball from him.

He has been strong mentally as well, especially in those moments which not many know about. He passed a difficult time away from his family, and if you ask him now I’m sure he will tell you it was worth the sacrifice. But who would have known that it would come to this? That strong mentality of his has made him come all this way.

In the end, Andres is a guy who has a guardian angel. He is like Iker Casillas. The rest don’t have that something special, but they do; to play that winning pass, that vital save, the goal that wins the title. We have lived it with Andres in Barcelona, and in the national team. In Stamford Bridge, in Johannesburg. If you watch the final in South Africa again, the whole game, there is only one person who logically could have scored the winning goal: Andres.

And to remember now that they said we couldn’t play together! But we know how things go, Andres, in a club full of debates. I always knew that I needed people to connect with by my side. I connect best with those who have technical quality, not the physical players. Even in the most difficult moments which Andres has passed through with injuries, with the help of his family he was able to turn it around, thanks to that incredible mentality which he has.

Sometimes, I have the impression that you cannot explain in words what Andres represents as a player. He does everything with such ease that you think anyone can do it. But no one can do it like him. On the pitch, he is transformed.

That’s where his real personality appears. He is in his natural habitat. If he doesn’t touch the ball, he isn’t happy. Now that I am a little away from elite football, I realise what Andres is and what he represents.

When he leaves Barcelona, he will understand what I mean. He has won everything, played in an incredible way, and is respected in the whole world. He is leaving in the way he deserves, because he never had a bad word or gesture for anyone. Look at how he is loved across the world. Soon you will really know and appreciate what you have done for football, my friend, Andres.

:aww:

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't see Schmeichel at his best but I'm not sure how De Gea can be absolutely nowhere near another keeper in terms of quality given he very rarely makes errors and consistently makes unbelievable saves

There's your answer. I saw Schmiechel at his best. De Gea's probably a better shot stopper, but in terms of everything else Schmiechel was definitely better and for longer. No reason De Gea can't get there eventually though.

Guest firetotheworks

Surprised to not hear Oliver Kahn's name in this goalkeeper discussion. He was outstanding, better than some of the names mentioned - as much as I rate De Gea and the likes.

I have to admit, I never understood the whole deal with people thinking Kahn was a great 'keeper. For me there was a massive lack of world class 'keepers for a couple of years between Schmiechel leaving Man United and Buffon upping his game/Cech coming on the scene.

People always forget about Casillas. Was a good article the other day on F365 about players being remembered a lot more or less fondly based on how they end their career even if overall they had similar quality at their best

Guest firetotheworks

I was gonna mention Casillas as part of the Buffon taking it up a level around 2003ish, but Casillas might have been mint before then and I just can't remember.

Casillas was probably at his best when Madrid were shite ironically, always remember this one game against Deportivo I think when he literally made like 20 saves.

Once they actually got competent with Pellegrini and later on Mourinho he didn't seem as good.

Been looking through some compilations of best saves because of this conversation. Coupet has one which is worth a watch for Lyon vs Barca. About to get lobbed, running towards his own goal, heads it off the crossbar, the ball rebounds to Rivaldo while Coupet is on the ground and gets up to make an unbelievable save

Casillas was imperious during Spain’s dominant spell. 

I don’t think he made a big bollock in any of those competitions. Saved penalties.  Dealt with one vs ones.  Top notch from crosses.

Around 2012/13 he began to lose it. Ended as a liability. 

That article is interesting. I do wonder if Hart was ever genuinely very good.  Every England tournament he let himself down and was a key reason in England struggling to even make the QF’s. 

Torres and Casillas relied on physical abilities.  When those went, so did the confidence.  Casillas was a high risk goalie, coming out for crosses a lot. When the reflexes declined he lost his assuredness in other area. Rooney a physical decline. 

Then you have your Ramos and Ronaldos that keep going.  Ramos has been around so long he was Zidane’s team mate for a season.

Have to add my voice to the Schmeichel cause. As a teenager playing pretend keeper, he was the one (and only, except Aussie Mark Bosnich ;) ) Someone called him a colossus, and that's what he was. Imposing, vigilant, dominant. And I haven't seen anything since that compares to the complete assurance he offered at the back since.

Have to add my voice to the Schmeichel cause. As a teenager playing pretend keeper, he was the one (and only, except Aussie Mark Bosnich ;) ) Someone called him a colossus, and that's what he was. Imposing, vigilant, dominant. And I haven't seen anything since that compares to the complete assurance he offered at the back since.

kahn must have been close surely? 

There ws not one area of Schmeichel’s game that was even remotely weak, he was a colossus in goal and probably individually won Man Utd the title over us that year because had we beaten them at SJP where he was immense, it was game over. De Gea is a wonderful ‘keeper, their only world-class player IMO, but he would come a huge second to the Dane in any list.

I remember being on holiday in Denmark with my family way back when and watching Brondby on TV. My Dad used to be a keeper, a really good one. We had no idea who the keeper was, but we were both "Fuck me, who's this guy?" He was clearly so much better than everybody else, just on a different planet. I would certainly take him right now over every other keeper available.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing with Kahn he was always liable to make a rik in the way someone like Shmeichel never would. Still a great ‘keeper though. Thinking about it the Dane is probably the best ever ‘keeper in my lifetime of watching the game. Buffon a very close second mind.

Buffon is miles ahead of any of the others for me.

I fucking love it when he makes a save and his imediate reaction is to spring to his feet and berate the fuck out of his deffence. If he's saved it it means someone else has made a mistake and he will abvsolutely make sure they know never to do that again. I think that's the key to Juve's tight defensive reccord to be honest. I'd probably play as well as Barzagli or Cheilini if I knew there was a giant Italian bastard behind me ready to rip my head off if I didn't clear every ball that came my way.

Also, Buffon never let Albert chip him from 30 odd yards out  :razz:

Buffon is miles ahead of any of the others for me.

I fucking love it when he makes a save and his imediate reaction is to spring to his feet and berate the fuck out of his deffence. If he's saved it it means someone else has made a mistake and he will abvsolutely make sure they know never to do that again. I think that's the key to Juve's tight defensive reccord to be honest. I'd probably play as well as Barzagli or Cheilini if I knew there was a giant Italian bastard behind me ready to rip my head off if I didn't clear every ball that came my way.

Also, Buffon never let Albert chip him from 30 odd yards out  :razz:

De Gea would have saved at least three of the goals we scored in that game IMO

Surprised to not hear Oliver Kahn's name in this goalkeeper discussion. He was outstanding, better than some of the names mentioned - as much as I rate De Gea and the likes.

I have to admit, I never understood the whole deal with people thinking Kahn was a great 'keeper. For me there was a massive lack of world class 'keepers for a couple of years between Schmiechel leaving Man United and Buffon upping his game/Cech coming on the scene.

I feel like he faded off quality wise towards the end of his playing career, but in his prime he was completely dominant. Incredible reflexes for such a big man, shot stopping second to none and the added bonus of being a wicked penalty stopper. Better than Casillas & Cech for me, but it's personal opinion/exposure really. I was pretty passionate about becoming a goalkeeper from like 2002-2006 and Kahn was the best in the world around that time.

Before Buffon, I have memories of Toldo being an absolute giant as well; filling up every cubic inch of the goal. Reminded of him when I see Courtois on his good days just looming between the sticks. Feels like nothing will ever get past him.

Kahn was incredible though. Didn't hurt that he looked like an absolute axe murderer.

Kahn wasn't as good as Neuer like. Used to love a save for the cameras.

I reckon Kahn was every bit as good and as important to Bayern as Neuer is/was like. Neuer is of the new age, becoming famous for his sweeper instincts, distribution and foot work as much as his goalkeeping. Kahn was a brut, I agree he used to palm away many shots that maybe the likes of De Gea would be catching these days, but he kept the ball out of the net tremendously effectively and had goalkeeping attributes & presence that were and still are second to none imo. Was brilliant to watch too which has to count for something.