Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

4 minutes ago, Begbie said:

I agree Murphy is utter dog turd. What I do think Howe sees in him is that he is probably the only winger we have that can get down to the line and try to get the ball in. We desperatly need new wingers..

Just noticed Fraser was injured today so we lacked options, but I honestly think even Ritchie could contribute more, he at least has a better delivery.

Edited by Tiotes Witch Doctor

I’ll take that point all day at Brighton…played well in patches, wasted some great opportunities but the final ball was shit mostly. Good defending on the whole and Pope looks solid. Wtf was wrong with Wilson’s goal…different game if that was allowed! Anyway I’m happy with a point…hard place to go to and they battered Man U last week …onwards and upwards. 

Definitely agree about the kits. And the sun. Watching on TV admittedly on a crappy stream I thought it was really hard to tell who the fuck was who. There was loads of sloppy passes in more instinctive and transitional elements of the game - from both teams. The passing moves that are more hard-wired by the coaching and tactical set-up were less affected by this.

1 minute ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Just noticed Fraser was injured today so we lacked options, but I honestly think even Ritchie could contribute more, he at least has a better delivery.

Worst comment ever ? fuck off bringing Ritchie on the wing 

3 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Brighton's substitutions improved them massively, ours seemed to make us worse.

Strength in depth is our achilles heel, basically all of our subs will do that. Desperate for an injection of quality in the final third which hopefully we sort out in the coming fortnight.

Over to the owners now, don't waste a massive opportunity (this performance might actually give the green light). I'm still pretty confident we will see at least two in before the window ends. Point away to Brighton is certainly a decent result, but the glaring insufficiencies was there for all to see, especially second half. 

5 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

We don’t have subs worth bringing on which is the problem. :lol: 

Fair comment, but given the conditions I was imagining we might have had 4 out of 5 subs on by the 70 minute mark, rather than token subs at the end of the game.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Definitely wasn't a hiding but we were second best and you wouldn't have begrudged Brighton the win. 

Agree, they had the amount of chances you'd expect a home team to have.

Its just it was the lions share in this game.

5 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

On a random note I'm getting a little worried about Trippier, thought he was quite poor first half off against Forest and was rinsed all afternoon today and looked off the pace compared to last season.

Hopefully just a bit of a dip. Literally my favourite player at the club.

He's tactically and technically an outstanding footballer but there's a small hint that a physical decline is incoming. Agree that it's a little bit of a worry. 

Didn't watch it today but it sounds like we have just ground out a very decent point away to a very good Brighton team. I'd have settled for it before the game and we've now got 4 from 2 games with 2 clean sheets, it sets us up for the difficult games against City and Liverpool. 

Would have took a point before KO, definitely happier with a point after that performance. 

Could have got all 3pts if we took a bit more care in the final 3rd.

Never mind, by this time next week we'll likely have won 1, lost 1 and drawn 1. A decent start with a couple of clean sheets chucked in. 

Hopefully Ashworth in the crowd realises we can be a bit toothless going forward and reinforcements are needed rather sharpish. 

Don't actually think there is much to gleem from today other then "we weren't at the races", we still had some decent intricate attacking play at times but our passing was just a yard or two short, and still pressed well at times but when we did it seemed to exert us so we started to sit back, although generally I think we defended well, so there is nothing wrong structurally with the way we play, I just think it was just a bad day at the office, with several of our key players having stinkers, Bruno and Trippier in particular who tend to be our best players in possession couldn't thread a pass today.

So don't think its worth worrying too much at this point, though we need attacking options as Murphy is just pap, today would have actually been the sort of game Miggy would have made a great impact from the bench. 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Over to the owners now, don't waste a massive opportunity (this performance might actually give the green light). I'm still pretty confident we will see at least two in before the window ends. Point away to Brighton is certainly a decent result, but the glaring insufficiencies was there for all to see, especially second half. 

Kind of got a 2 week window now as well because no pressure going into the city game 

1 minute ago, jack j said:

I'd rather we never had to like[emoji38]

:lol:

We're at home, 2 clean sheets, unbeaten. It's a good time to play them.

Needs to be hostile as fuck, hopefully cooler and if we can come out of it with a clean sheet then that'll be huge. 

Not the greatest performance but I'll take the point all day long. We're not going to play well every single game and people need to realise that especially against sides like Brighton away. That still applies if/when we add a couple more attacking players.