Alexander Isak

Disco

5 hours ago, 80 said:

Was very impressed with the power he generated on that header.

I also don’t think heading is a natural strength so his vs his other skills. 

I think he’ll start v Fulham with Wilson and Miggy. Against teams which are very almost certainly going to play with a low block Isak and ASM either side of Wilson is ideal 👍💪

Just wish he had come on with the rest of the good players last night rather than wasting his time at the front of a second fiddle team that was creating the square root of fuck all.  Easy to say after the fact when we had the luxury of all the subs being tactical, of course.

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Just wish he had come on with the rest of the good players last night rather than wasting his time at the front of a second fiddle team that was creating the square root of fuck all.  Easy to say after the fact when we had the luxury of all the subs being tactical, of course.

I mean they created two fairly glaring chances for him in that square root of fuck all…

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

fwiw, Howe said he wanted to get a full pre-match preparation under his belt, rather than bring him on.

He can operate both wide forward areas, but he’s a CF for me, his movement in the box at times last night was superb, a real CF instinct to get onto headers, balls at the back post or near post and dropping off his marker to find space and time for a ball/shot at the edge of the box, plus getting on top of the ‘keeper.

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Aye, once we were turning to Wood to put away chances, we were in trouble when chasing the game. On paper we should have never got to the situation we were in, but in hindsight, being 2 nil down and bringing on Isak with the quality players would have helped massively to turn the game around and salvage it.

I thought he was absolutely bullied against Sheffield Wednesday like. Outmuscled off the ball, outfought a few times. Thought that against Bournemouth too actually.

His movement is good though and obviously it was his first game in ages. I do think he'll have to bulk up a little though, if we want his all round game to improve.

Looking forward to seeing more of him.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I thought he was absolutely bullied against Sheffield Wednesday like. Outmuscled off the ball, outfought a few times. Thought that against Bournemouth too actually.

His movement is good though and obviously it was his first game in ages. I do think he'll have to bulk up a little though, if we want his all round game to improve.

Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Yeah I think they’ll definitively have him on a strength and conditioning plan. He’s not going to play the same as Wilson (certainly not straight away as lacks the strength) and his play as a 9 is probably suited more to playing on the counter and playing on the shoulder of defenders with quick balls in like his first goal v Liverpool. I think they’ll utilise his footwork with the ball to open teams up at home one side of Wilson. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

He's never been a player that relies on strength. Putting on muscle may be a detriment to his best attributes. Maybe not the best example, but look at Shola how he looked and moved in his early 20's. He was quite agile and had decent enough technique to take on and dribble past opposition players. Compare the young Ameobi to his late 20's version when he gained a lot of muscle mass. Looked stiff and slow and rarely tried to dribble with the ball. Was like two different players.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

He's never been a player that relies on strength. Putting on muscle may be a detriment to his best attributes. Maybe not the best example, but look at Shola how he looked and moved in his early 20's. He was quite agile and had decent enough technique to take on and dribble past opposition players. Compare the young Ameobi to his late 20's version when he gained a lot of muscle mass. Looked stiff and slow and rarely tried to dribble with the ball. Was like two different players.

Mate Shola looked slow as a snail for us on his debut.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Mate Shola looked slow as a snail for us on his debut.

He scored a lot of goals on the counter by out pacing opposition defenders in the first 2-3 seasons. Just have a look at "Shola Ameobi - All 72 goals for Newcastle" on youtube.

Edit: As I said - maybe not the best comparison :lol: But Shola was playing off the shoulder of defenders in the beginning, but later (maybe under Kinnear?) he turned into a more traditional target man.

Edited by Conjo

I think that was as much to do with his hip being shagged to be fair to him.

But yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't think it is the best comparison. Isak and Shola have totally different physiques, Isak would never be able to bulk up like him.

Hoping to see this pace everyone keeps talking about tomorrow night and Sunday. Not seen a hint of it yet but excusing him for never being fully fit until this week’s games. Fulham in particular.

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Hoping to see this pace everyone keeps talking about tomorrow night and Sunday. Not seen a hint of it yet but excusing him for never being fully fit until this week’s games. Fulham in particular.

He's rapid when you take into consideration his height. Once he gets a good run of games I expect its his intelligence off the ball we will all notice though!