Alexander Isak

Disco

49 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Everyone shouted for Bruno to start when he first came here but Eddie bedded him in very slowly and it paid off. He's doing the same with Isak and bearing in mind the injury that Isak had he seems to be taking real care over it. PL will be a big step up physically for him but I like what I've seen so far 

I think the context is hugely different though, we signed Bruno when deep in a relegation battle and the form of the team massively improved without him in the starting lineup so there was no need to change it. Once he finally got his first start at Southampton he was in the first XI ever since.

We're chasing Europe now and the goals have dried up post WC. So have Wilson's performances by a long chalk. Isak returned to full training on the 2nd January, it's now March and yet he's only started twice. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The only concerns there is Joelinton. He hasn't been convincing as a six when played there. 

I think Joe could fill in at RB and look like he was born to play there. He's got such a good tactical brain, I can't see many issues with him playing a bit deeper in a double-pivot. Bruno is still the 'six'. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think Joe could fill in at RB and look like he was born to play there. He's got such a good tactical brain, I can't see many issues with him playing a bit deeper in a double-pivot. Bruno is still the 'six'. 

That's a fair point.

As much as I'd like to see Targett (if fit enough), Isak and Gordon this weekend, I'm not sure wholesale changes are in Howe's nature. At this point Isak in for Wilson would do. Him and ASM should give City something to think about. 

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Have we seen much of Bruno and Isak together from the start? Bournemouth at home is the only one I can think of. 

Well according to the song we must have had Bruno, Botman and Isak playing together every minute of the season?

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

12 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be worth persisting with Wilson just for now - but specifically because he and Isak haven't started together yet. Surely, if they're both fully fit (or as fit as they are ever likely to be, in Wilson's case), we should give them a fair crack as a partnership? Besides, Isak has been most effective when played deeper, debut aside. 

Pope

Trippier    Schar        Botman    Targett

Bruno        Joelinton

Gordon               Isak                   Maxi

Wilson

Surely to God there's goals in that front four? I mean that whole team on paper looks really, really good. 

If there aren't any goals in that lineup, our goose is cooked.

16 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The only concerns there is Joelinton. He hasn't been convincing as a six when played there. 

Disagree with this, I actually thought he was better than expected when playing there. Broke up play consistently as usual and just found the simple pass. Sure a few passes may have gone astray but it was a 7/10 minimum

18 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This isn't true at all man. I don't understand how you could even say this if you watched the games. He's been great in that position as well. Just go and read the match threads when he has played there. He broke up play as he usually does, won most of his aerial duels and constantly held off players and turned away from them in deep positions to then pass the ball forward.

The real issue with him dropping deeper though, is that it has made our press a lot less effective higher up the pitch because no one else could do as good a job as he does pressing from either wide left or the number 8 position and so teams were able to get at us more.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

This isn't true at all man. I don't understand how you could even say this if you watched the games. He's been great in that position as well. Just go and read the match threads when he has played there. He broke up play as he usually does, won most of his aerial duels and constantly held off players and turned away from them in deep positions to then pass the ball forward.

The real issue with him dropping deeper though, is that it has made our press a lot less effective higher up the pitch because no one else could do as good a job as he does pressing from either wide left or the number 8 position and so teams were able to get at us more.

This is true.

Against West Ham and Bournemouth our midfield lacked balance. Bruno being suspended was the biggest factor, but moving Joelinton to a number six role at various times didn't help. His biggest assets are being able win and retain possession, then break quickly up field. He's not the greatest with the ball at his feet, so when you restrict him to a number six role your taking away his best assets and exposing one of his worst. 

Playing him in a double pivot would be fascinating. He wouldn't be holding on his own. You'd have Bruno in there with him, allowing one to sit while the other advances. On the other hand we don't really have a number ten, so I'm not sure how the balance would look and we might end up looking a bit light in the middle. 

I'm sure it could be coached and I'm all for tweaking the system, but I don't think moving our better players into positions they haven't played all that much is the answer. 

On 02/03/2023 at 09:21, The Prophet said:

Playing him in a double pivot would be fascinating. He wouldn't be holding on his own. You'd have Bruno in there with him, allowing one to sit while the other advances. On the other hand we don't really have a number ten, so I'm not sure how the balance would look and we might end up looking a bit light in the middle. 

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Targett
            J7 Bruno
Gordon    Isak     ASM
             WIlson 

With that you've got Gordon and Isak who can play midfield if needed, or you could play Isak up top with Miggy/Gordon wide or as a 10. Even though our squad is still threadbare its starting to look like we've actually got some options up front, just a shame no one can stick in the net at the moment! 

On 01/03/2023 at 10:30, Yorkie said:

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be worth persisting with Wilson just for now - but specifically because he and Isak haven't started together yet. Surely, if they're both fully fit (or as fit as they are ever likely to be, in Wilson's case), we should give them a fair crack as a partnership? Besides, Isak has been most effective when played deeper, debut aside. 

Pope

Trippier    Schar        Botman    Targett

Bruno        Joelinton

Gordon               Isak                   Maxi

Wilson

Surely to God there's goals in that front four? I mean that whole team on paper looks really, really good. 

I think getting Wilson and Isak on the pitch will be at the expense of Saint-Maximin.  

That line up doesn’t offer much protection so I’d rather have the Willock/Joelinton interchange on the left side.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Targett
            J7 Bruno
Gordon    Isak     ASM
             WIlson 

With that you've got Gordon and Isak who can play midfield if needed, or you could play Isak up top with Miggy/Gordon wide or as a 10. Even though our squad is still threadbare its starting to look like we've actually got some options up front, just a shame no one can stick in the net at the moment! 

I want to see this although I expect Almiron to start.

But I reckon Howe goes tried and trusted and not working 4-3-3 against City and we lose 3-0 anyway.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

I think getting Wilson and Isak on the pitch will be at the expense of Saint-Maximin.  

That line up doesn’t offer much protection so I’d rather have the Willock/Joelinton interchange on the left side.

Yeah.  Tend to agree.  If we are going to tweak it slightly and go with more of a 4-2-3-1, then I think Howe would look to play Willock and Joelinton in the same team.  Especially against a team like City.  

It'll be 4-3-3 and as long as we make some changes to the faltering starting XI.  Then I'm fine with that. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

But I reckon Howe goes tried and trusted and not working 4-3-3 against City and we lose 3-0 anyway.

Tbf I wouldn't mind. ASM is more effective, but Willocks running might be effective on the break. Either way we've got more options if we go away from 4-3-3

J7 Bruno
Gordon Isak Willock
        Wilson

On 03/03/2023 at 12:04, The College Dropout said:

On 03/03/2023 at 13:48, The College Dropout said:

I'd be suprised if Almiron didn't start and Howe started with both Wilson and Isak.

I was almost spot on.  

We need to shake things up and start Isak.