Alexander Isak

Disco

27 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We do go route one quite a bit, I think. There have been some games where I wish we would be more patient and have struggled to build from

the back, at times. Especially when Bruno is missing.

We’re by no means playing Pulis or Allardyce ball. But Botman, Trippier, Schar, Pope and to a lesser degree, Longstaff. Will all look for a long diagonal/pass or one over the top into the channel. Bruno is more cultured and shorter with his ‘long’ passes, of course :aww:

We are also very direct from set pieces. Which is probably why the ball is in play less than a lot of teams. As anything near halfway and beyond. We chuck all

the big boys up there and just hump it up to them. Considering how ineffective they are. It’s pretty boring to watch now. Almost Pardew back post to Williamson levels of ineffectiveness. 

Goal kicks are almost always long, too. 

I think that has a lot to do with the teams we've been playing to be fair, I don't envision us lumping it forward when Wolves come to St James' I think we'll see more build up play from the back. Can't see Isak not starting for this given the change in opponents, we won't be looking for the ball to stick so if Howe does choose Wilson again that has to be questions asked. I can see the choice of Wilson over Isak against teams we're expecting to be under the cosh against, so the last 3 can be understood.

Eddie does put great store on physical fitness, and I can only think there is still some issue in his mind about Isak. He also has a 'maverick' element in his play, and Eddie may be worried about how he links in with his team-mates.

Having said that, Wilson often looks to me like a player who is protecting an injury. And team-mates develop a mutual understanding through experience.

So there you are.

12 hours ago, Mattoon said:

I think that has a lot to do with the teams we've been playing to be fair, I don't envision us lumping it forward when Wolves come to St James' I think we'll see more build up play from the back. Can't see Isak not starting for this given the change in opponents, we won't be looking for the ball to stick so if Howe does choose Wilson again that has to be questions asked. I can see the choice of Wilson over Isak against teams we're expecting to be under the cosh against, so the last 3 can be understood.

Think this is a copout in the modern game. Managers like Pardew would trot this out but lots of managers have proved you can play as you do against top sides or similar.

We are a "lateral" side and don't mind playing it long. That's our style by design.

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We don't have the technical ability to play around a press like Man City can apply, IMO.

Agreed. We don't even have the technical ability of a Brighton. We play with runners in midfield not ball players (sans Bruno).

The rumours around McTominay and the signing of Gordon makes me think we want to stick with this style.

27 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We don't have the technical ability to play around a press like Man City can apply, IMO.

Yep. We are far better than we were were a year ago, but against the good sides, our lack of quality in certain areas really shows.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Bruno and Willock are probably our most "press proof" players, ,but we definitely need more. Kone would be dreamy. 

One of the reasons I was reluctant to drop Willock from the team during our good run. His end product isn't great, but he is really good at making us tick and transitioning the ball from defence to attack. Our football has looked less slick since him ( and Bruno) have played less games.

Aye as @The Prophetsays it could be the classic Howe press conference where once shouldn’t read into it. 

Either that or we really need examine the sports science/training set up as it’s clear below standard of a young professional player needs so long to get back to full fitness.