Alexander Isak

Disco

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Sorry [emoji38]

What did I say that was funny? Just my opinion, he was rarely 100% fit last season. Seemed to be returning from injury or rushed back often and then run into the ground when he did due to Wilson's injury issues. But he was still scoring goals even during those spells where he looked half fit. 

Think back to like the PSG away game. He could barely move but managed to bag a goal and play the whole game pretty much. There were other examples where he seemed to be carrying something or managing his fitness. 

Would be good if he could get the majority of the season where he can just play flat out and then be subbed out when fatigued and not be forced to play when nursing an injury of some sort. 

On 09/08/2024 at 22:49, dave s said:

can’t wait for this season if Isak hits proper form from word go. immense 

He's the perfect striker for us. Apart from his clinical finishing, the way he creates space and chances for others is vital to the team.

6 minutes ago, alexf said:

What did I say that was funny? Just my opinion, he was rarely 100% fit last season. Seemed to be returning from injury or rushed back often and then run into the ground when he did due to Wilson's injury issues. But he was still scoring goals even during those spells where he looked half fit. 

Think back to like the PSG away game. He could barely move but managed to bag a goal and play the whole game pretty much. There were other examples where he seemed to be carrying something or managing his fitness. 

Would be good if he could get the majority of the season where he can just play flat out and then be subbed out when fatigued and not be forced to play when nursing an injury of some sort. 

No mate I just find it really funny when people use the ‘in my eyes’ thing in that way.

3 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

No mate I just find it really funny when people use the ‘in my eyes’ thing in that way.

Felt I had to qualify it because it wasn't official that he was carrying knocks etc but it seemed obvious to me quite alot throughout last year he was sometimes playing out of necessity, where as in an ideal world we could have rested him more. 

So just saying hopefully this year we can protect him more so that when he is playing, he is playing at his maximum. 

Same for Gordon too 🤞.

Howe's refusal to substitute him is my biggest pet peeve. Let Osula chase lost causes for 20 minutes, not your biggest star who can barely jog for 3 seconds at a time.

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Didn't look overly bothered today, wasn't doing any pressing and not moving much to get the ball but still got out with an assist.

Honestly I'm not sure what others see, i watched him chase the ball most of the game. Weird how people see things differently from the same game.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

Honestly I'm not sure what others see, i watched him chase the ball most of the game. Weird how people see things differently from the same game.

Yeah this is more the game I saw. Winning goal came from him as well. 

Though he looked sharp and quick. Just not involved as much as I would have liked. But we were shite in the first  half hour and then down to ten. 

5 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Didn't look overly bothered today, wasn't doing any pressing and not moving much to get the ball but still got out with an assist.

Looked to me like the tactic for the second half was to split him and Gordon/Barnes wide and to stay high. Conserving energy for counters. As they’ll be the only two that properly commit and get forward. Everyone else was behind the ball. 

He will have also been absolutely shagged doing doggies up there on his own for the most part. A lot of lost causes.

Got the assist for the goal and was the only attacking threat and bright spark in their half in the second half. But other than that :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Beren said:

Howe's refusal to substitute him is my biggest pet peeve. Let Osula chase lost causes for 20 minutes, not your biggest star who can barely jog for 3 seconds at a time.

I see it a bit differently. If it was 2-0, then yeah. But holding on to a 1-0 where you know you might need another goal as we're under constant pressure at that point, you'd rather have Isak than Osula out there.

12 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I see it a bit differently. If it was 2-0, then yeah. But holding on to a 1-0 where you know you might need another goal as we're under constant pressure at that point, you'd rather have Isak than Osula out there.

I did think about that, but he had nowt left to give on that front either.

IMO.

He was playing up top for a team with ten men, he got extremely to no service and on another day could have had two assists.

Would have like to have seen a little cameo from Osula, but his time will come.

12 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Aye, would have been mental to sub Isak for what is still a very much unknown quality today. If Isak was absolutely gassed and Gordon at full fitness I could have seen going with Gordon and Barnes as our attackers

3 hours ago, Beren said:

I know what you mean but I'd say this was the quintessential sort of game you don't want to throw on the shoulders of an inexperienced debutante, so I can see where Howe was coming from.

On 17/08/2024 at 20:51, Beren said:

I did think about that, but he had nowt left to give on that front either.

IMO.

I remember thinking he should be brought off for fresh legs, then he did that wonderful touch and pass to play Barnes through and I thought 'oh yeah that's why he's still on'.

That said, given we were just pumping it long a big strapping guy like Osula for 20 mins might still have been the play.

Ok before I start...Isaks awesome, and undeniably one of the best we've ever had. No disputing it...

Has he ever scored a goal from massive distance like Robert or Shearer did?

He's done some amazing ones but don't recall any that were just from pure power rather than trickery and intelligence.

Just a question before anyone jumps on that horse in the sky?

He doesn’t really go for goal from distance does he? I imagine he doesn’t have the technique to absolutely belt it from distance and he also doesn’t try to do it because he’s pretty much the most technically gifted striker with the ball at his feet on the dribble in world football