Alexander Isak

Disco

He was fine at the top of a front three in Spain. A large part of the problem is that the link up with our wingers isn't there yet. Promising stuff from him and ASM, but it'll be a combination of lack of playing time and him being far better than anyone who plays alongside him. 

16 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He seemed absolutely fine in the few games he had there before the injury when he first joined I thought? Particularly against Liverpool away.

I think against a team like Liverpool where we sit back and look to hit them on the break, he's fine as a lone striker. He has room to roam, find channels to run and use his pace.

But against sides who sit deep, he's struggled to get into the games, and usually just gets dominated physically.

Isak

Gordon                            ASM

Bruno

Beg Jow       Longstaff

Targett      Botman     Schar    Trippier

Pope

Worth a try?

I've been an advocate of it in the past but I now struggle to see a point in moving our best player from his current position.

We've seen in the past three league games how we struggle to build from the back when he isn't the link between defence and midfield.

I reckon we should use the remaining games to start Isak, if fit. 

The investment of potentially dropping Wilson to the sub role should begin to pay off next season when Isak is full bedded it has a good chunk of games in his locker. 

Sad for Wilson, but we can't start next season still saying that Isak needs time. 

Edited by Weezertron

He absolutely needs consistent playing time now; whether as a striker, wide forward, or #10. 

I think we can get away with him & Wilson as a pairing against a lot of teams, tbh. Probs not against the best possession sides but that's where you can play him as the striker or move him to a wider role.

Isak is a completely different type of forward to Wilson, so the front three might need a bit of time to develop cohesion.

That said ASM and Isak already seem to have a bit of an understanding. Get Targett in for Burn and Isak in for Wilson and those two will do damage. 

Edited by The Prophet

Everyone shouted for Bruno to start when he first came here but Eddie bedded him in very slowly and it paid off. He's doing the same with Isak and bearing in mind the injury that Isak had he seems to be taking real care over it. PL will be a big step up physically for him but I like what I've seen so far 

Part of the reason may be that the front three as a whole will need adjusting. Wilson will stay high up the pitch and engage the centre backs. Isak will drop off into spaces and run at defenders. He'll need payers to run beyond him and link up. We've no doubt worked on this on the training ground though. 

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Part of the reason may be that the front three as a whole will need adjusting. Wilson will stay high up the pitch and engage the centre backs. Isak will drop off into spaces and run at defenders. He'll need payers to run beyond him and link up. We've no doubt worked on this on the training ground though. 

I really like the Isak-Wilson option for some games. It feels like it makes a lot of sense with our current predictability - Isak has the game to both drop into gaps and turn, help create overloads out wide, and make runs beyond defenders while Wilson occupies central space. I imagine there's some concern about defensive shape/gaps starting them both but if you have a midfield of Almiron/Bruno/Joe/Gordon behind them then that's lots of coverage & work rate. 

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

Where on the field does he work best? Free role at OMC? Do you dare to have him as a lone striker if he is out on the right, left or downfield and picks up the ball, 50% of the match?

He'd be fine as a lone striker if you had other players who could float, occupy the space he leaves and link up with him. I'm not sure we do at this moment in time, but we've got to give him a go sooner rather than later. 

Edited by The Prophet

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be worth persisting with Wilson just for now - but specifically because he and Isak haven't started together yet. Surely, if they're both fully fit (or as fit as they are ever likely to be, in Wilson's case), we should give them a fair crack as a partnership? Besides, Isak has been most effective when played deeper, debut aside. 

Pope

Trippier    Schar        Botman    Targett

Bruno        Joelinton

Gordon               Isak                   Maxi

Wilson

Surely to God there's goals in that front four? I mean that whole team on paper looks really, really good. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be worth persisting with Wilson just for now - but specifically because he and Isak haven't started together yet. Surely, if they're both fully fit (or as fit as they are ever likely to be, in Wilson's case), we should give them a fair crack as a partnership? Besides, Isak has been most effective when played deeper, debut aside. 

Pope

Trippier    Schar        Botman    Targett

Bruno        Joelinton

Gordon               Isak                   Maxi

Wilson

Surely to God there's goals in that front four? I mean that whole team on paper looks really, really good. 

That team looks great tbf. Very much looking forward to seeing Targett back behind Maxi. Think it'll transform us.