Alexander Isak

Disco

26 minutes ago, Andy said:

"Almost every team in the world" is quite a hefty sample size, so he's probably right tbf.

:) I meant outside of Madrid, Bayern, Barca, Man City … They wouldn’t look out of place in any other club. 

Tough decision for Howe this week, does he play Isak against both PSG and Man United?

They're both big games and we'll be significantly weaker without him, but returning from a soft tissue injury and playing three times in a week sounds like a recipe for another spell on the sidelines. Feels like he damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Who else can he realistically play in his place, though? Hall out wide and then Gordon goes up top? Ndiweni? 

I know we can’t carry players. But I think he will start both and maybe get told not to press like a lunatic. I thought he looked to be managing his sprints and output at times on Saturday. Understandably so. 

Him playing within himself and perhaps not at 100%. Is still far better than anyone else that we can play up there at the minute. 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Tough decision for Howe this week, does he play Isak against both PSG and Man United?

They're both big games and we'll be significantly weaker without him, but returning from a soft tissue injury and playing three times in a week sounds like a recipe for another spell on the sidelines. Feels like he damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I think he'll play both coming off around 65-70 in both.

It's difficult to handle, to be honest I wouldn't be against him coming off the bench tomorrow.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

we done man u with gordon upfront. maybe give isak a 30 min run out saturday as sub? but if eddie thinks he’s fine to play, i’ll trust his judgement. 

we have to play him at psg surely 

On 26/11/2023 at 11:59, Cronky said:

Yeah, it was a great finish. The ball came at him with pace, but he killed it with one touch, sorted his feet out, and finished with his second touch. I don't think Wilson or Gordon could have done that.

Reminded me of the two goals he scored at Anfield on his debut. His ability to find the space between the keeper and the goal is not something that can be taught, it's split second decision making.

I love him and he's brilliant but I'd imagine Eddie's high standards will be frustrated at some of his missed chances this season

I really wish he'd kept driving at Danilo last night when he was put through not to mention his earlier miss. And when he went round the keeper against West Ham but hit the post which would have won us the game.

Watching him last night, it reminded me of a Simeone tactic. Where the forwards (was a front 2 then, I think) save their legs for any attacking play and the midfield has to work its bollox off 😝

Understand we’re looking after Isak due to our circumstances but I did wonder a good few weeks ago if this might come up.

Still, probably just a case of him being knackered, fragile and our only hope…

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Watching him last night, it reminded me of a Simeone tactic. Where the forwards (was a front 2 then, I think) save their legs for any attacking play and the midfield has to work its bollox off 😝

Understand we’re looking after Isak due to our circumstances but I did wonder a good few weeks ago if this might come up.

Still, probably just a case of him being knackered, fragile and our only hope…

Both me thinks. Definitely told not to press too much also. 

55 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I love him and he's brilliant but I'd imagine Eddie's high standards will be frustrated at some of his missed chances this season

I really wish he'd kept driving at Danilo last night when he was put through not to mention his earlier miss. And when he went round the keeper against West Ham but hit the post which would have won us the game.

Yeah, you'd usually expect him to just blitz straight past Danilo in that scenario. Made me think he's playing slightly injured tbh. 

12 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

It reminded me of a similar one earlier in the season against Gvardiol where he beat him and then brought the ball back the other way for the defender to make a tackle.  

It reminds me of my playing against my fat friend in basketball, I make a double move and he defends it because he didn't even react to my original move yet. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Massive fan of the lad.

But his hold-up play in that second half was dreadful. Really needs to get a little stronger physically and with stamina.

Couple of points. 

he’s not really a classic number 9, we can’t expect him to have good hold up play when it’s not his game, I don’t expect Callum to be a false 9 and nor do I expect Alex to be fantastic back to goal. 

Our injury situation is such we are constantly rushing players back from injury or playing players who are carrying knocks. This will be the case with Alex for a long time too as Cal has cheese for hammys. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Couple of points. 

he’s not really a classic number 9, we can’t expect him to have good hold up play when it’s not his game, I don’t expect Callum to be a false 9 and nor do I expect Alex to be fantastic back to goal. 

Our injury situation is such we are constantly rushing players back from injury or playing players who are carrying knocks. This will be the case with Alex for a long time too as Cal has cheese for hammys. 

Being able to keep possession as a striker is key. Whether you're a big man using strength or a false 9-dropping deep to link-up play - it's needed. The ball just can't keep bouncing back to the opposition.

Gabriel Jesus is not a classic 9 but he scraps for the ball up top, when it's played into his feet, he gets low, uses his bum to shield the ball and finds a teammate. Or uses his pace to dribble. Alex doesn't do that enough. Too many times the ball is played into his feet/chest, and it doesn't stick. Especially later in games when he's tired.

I wouldn't swap Isak for Jesus. Isak is a fantastic player. But he does need to develop that side of his game.