Alexander Isak

Disco

1 hour ago, Barnes23 said:

To give Wilson the best chance of remaining fit, we should probably look to rotate the striker slot in any case. 

Our best bet IMO would probably be Gordon up top with Joelinton wide left. As much of a shame as it is to move Gordon away from the position where he has really flourished this season. 

There would be some fluidity there, at least. Could see some Big Joe/Little Joe type link ups and switch ups between the two. Suddenly quite interested in seeing those two in a front three. 

2 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

Is it not because they’re signing people on ridiculously long deals so the cost is spread out? It’s a strategy that will only work if they’re successful in the short term as it’s unsustainable. 

It’s all of the above - spread out deals and their acedemy is like a second business where it’s all pure credit.

3 hours ago, wyn davies said:

Agreed, makes Jan window evenore important , will need to spend, but additional those we have already bought need to get bedded in rapidly, wonder if we recall Minteh or would that be unfair to him, bearing Feyenoord doing well in UCL

We can't really spend much unless we sell, we're at the limit still

1 hour ago, janpawel said:

Really hope this guy isn't going to be someone who is frequently injured ala Wilson.

Not certain, but pretty sure he had an excellent injury record while in Spain. We could really do with a guy we can rely on for season

Season before he moved to us was a bit stop-start because of injuries for him. Probably the only reason why managed to sign him at that point tbh. 

Since Isak will be our only striker for the next 11 games, it might be worth it if he reduces the intensity of his high pressing until the January window at least. I wouldn’t mind it if he just walks around Messi-style until January at least. 

I can’t think of another way to pull this off. If he gets injured again while Wilson is still out, then we would have to expect a lot of games similar to the Bournemouth match. 

2 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

Since Isak will be our only striker for the next 11 games, it might be worth it if he reduces the intensity of his high pressing until the January window at least. I wouldn’t mind it if he just walks around Messi-style until January at least. 

I can’t think of another way to pull this off. If he gets injured again while Wilson is still out, then we would have to expect a lot of games similar to the Bournemouth match. 

High pressing is alright for a striker, its chasing balls flying towards you from every direction that gets you injured and that's what happened to Wilson.

2 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

We'd have to change our style of play for this, you can't have Isak walking about and the rest of the team on high press.

1 hour ago, Newcastle Fan said:

High pressing is alright for a striker, its chasing balls flying towards you from every direction that gets you injured and that's what happened to Wilson.

For us it's both.

Lots of pressing. And lots of chasing balls and fighting defenders.

You look at Haaland. Sketchy injury record at Dortmund. Moves to City - still has to press. But his minutes are smartly managed. And he's not chasing 50/50 balls all day in isolation. Our strikers have to play a bit like Michail Antonio and actually score goals.

• 2 weeks later...