Alexander Isak

Disco

3 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

My still snoozing dreamy crystal ball says Eddie refuses to change a winning team in the league. Alex can’t get a start and compensates for this by playing the best football of his career, scoring in every round of the league cup, topped off with a brace to win us the final. I’d be happy keeping £60+ million on the bench in that scenario! 

Yeah but I can't see Isak being too happy with that. Howe will have to fit him in somewhere and I'm sure he will

8 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Mentioned, elsewhere, I watched the Chelsea game again on their channel. 

Was interesting listening to their two commentators. When they were on about our press and, even, how Wood was putting a shift in they mentioned "you can imagine it being even more difficult for us with Wilson racing in" 

Isak can do it too, no probs, as seen v Liverpool

There's pressing the GK and CB's and blocking passing lanes into midfield. And then there's running back with the fullback by our defensive corner flag and not being done by basic 1-2's. It's an entirely different thing.

Edited by The College Dropout

I think many underestimate Isak and what he can offer in the centre forward position, assuming it will be Wilson’s to keep. I mean, what he did vs Liverpool in his first game after a few days of training with the team was already pretty special. I really think Wilson will be our super sub going forward, playing depending on what we need to beat the opposition, coming on to see games out, brought on as a second striker when we’re behind, etc. He’ll get plenty of playing time but before long Isak will be a mainstay in the centre forward position. This should hopefully aid Wilson’s longevity too.

Seems ideal for the press. Deceptively quick, long legs to pinch the ball, and a brain (not many of them have this).

My awful memory can even picture him nicking the ball off people a few times in the minimal time he's had.

Talking about this guy is to much for me, never thought my favourite current player would be one that played a few games and hasn't been seen since.

8 hours ago, Stottie said:

I thought he looked wicked in the glimpse we got, especially for someone just off the plane. The goals against Liverpool were sensational and its only the other crappy narratives about that match that stopped him getting the credit he deserved. The one-on-one he missed against Bournemouth? Palace? was down entirely to him solo pressing. He's got the same languid look about him as Chris Waddle, he doesn't look like he's giving 100% but it is very deceptive. Callum Wilson is extremely sharp but needs goals created for him. Isak looks more capable of doing it on his own.

Prem players listed by expected goals per 90, 200 mins minimum to qualify. The offside goal against Liverpool will not count in his xG.

1193809667_xg90chart.thumb.jpg.33f3068395abee6c86c8f29d1e1d5483.jpg

If you look at non-penalty xG, Isak is still eighth, above Salah, Mitro, Harry Kane etc. Wilson is fifth. Top is Darwin Nunez, I fully understand folks hating on Liverpool, but that lad is a player.

This is what excites me about him as well. The goals against Liverpool were genuine striker goals, he's not going to be as good as Wilson at holding the ball up necessarily, but there will be games where he can attack the space in behind, especially against the better sides and it looks like he's a very good finisher.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

From the little i've seen, Wilson has better "box instincts" and movement in the box.

Isak seems more a channel runner, not one to hold it up and link up just yet. Wilson is pretty decent at that.

I think you might have them backwards, tbh. Wilson is a poacher, he offers little to nothing in build-up or link-up play imo. I recall Isak being the fulcrum up front at Anfield who we played through.

23 minutes ago, HawK said:

I think you might have them backwards, tbh. Wilson is a poacher, he offers little to nothing in build-up or link-up play imo. I recall Isak being the fulcrum up front at Anfield who we played through.

Disagree.  Wilson is better than people give him credit for with his back to goal and when trying to link the play.  He's by no means top level doing it, but certainly better than Isak at this moment in time.  

I'm not saying Isak can't develop and adapt that side of his game.  As he is still young and has the size for it if he filled out a bit and got more used to the league.  But when Wilson was missing, I thought it was noticeable how much our build up play in the final third suffered.  He wasn't a focal point or causing much of a nuisance.  

Isak so far has looked like he'll be brilliant in games where we are expecting to have a bit less of the ball and against teams who play high. 

Excited to see him back fit and playing, either way.  

33 minutes ago, HawK said:

Eh? With his back to goal the ball literally glues to his feet regardless of how many defenders try and take it off him. 

Think you're doing him a massive disservice 

Wilson's link up play has been very good lately. He's often bringing Miggy into play either with a nicely weighted pass, or holding it up and releasing it. 

As an aside, it's really exciting to think about how Isak can fit into this team after Christmas. Brilliant to have some depth and options for a change!

I can't say that's how I recall him playing, he's anonymous for extended periods in games where we're not streamrolling teams.

Edit - I worked it out, OK they're both about the same :lol:

image.png.c7650d036543bcc73e5a691bd22d3f61.png

Edited by HawK

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Disagree.  Wilson is better than people give him credit for with his back to goal and when trying to link the play.  He's by no means top level doing it, but certainly better than Isak at this moment in time.  

I'm not saying Isak can't develop and adapt that side of his game.  As he is still young and has the size for it if he filled out a bit and got more used to the league.  But when Wilson was missing, I thought it was noticeable how much our build up play in the final third suffered.  He wasn't a focal point or causing much of a nuisance.  

Isak so far has looked like he'll be brilliant in games where we are expecting to have a bit less of the ball and against teams who play high. 

You might be confusing Isak for Wood there. Against Liverpool Isak was very much a focal point, holding up the ball and laying it off, as well as consistently pressing their defenders. Wilson is good at the former, but not so much the latter imo. From what little I’ve seen it looks like Isak would be an upgrade on Wilson for the way we play.

I thought he looked amazing against Liverpool and him having to go off probably cost us at least a point. However, they play a really high line and don’t defend in numbers. Well, they certainly weren’t at the time. 

I remember watching him against Palace and bits of Bournemouth. Thinking he wasn’t really occupying the CB’s and he wasn’t playing much between the posts. The fact both sat deep and the a lot of the attacking play was poor all round didn’t help. But he was a big part of that. 

Seems like I am criticising him. I’m not, I think he will develop into a class player for us. I’m just not seeing that he is currently a better fit as the 9 than Wilson or that he offers more as a back to goal type. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

3 hours ago, HawK said:

Don't agree. Isak is looking to run his man or get in behind. Wilson against Arsenal for example - bullied the CB's. Held it up. Linked players in. There was one moment where Ben White was closing down a loose ball and Wilson sprinted in, got in ahead of White and won a foul at the edge of the box. On the weekend when he gets the ball, starts running nowhere and eventually buys the foul. Like Wilson's a wiley striker in every way.

Isak plays like he's used to playing with another striker uptop. Someone else does more of the dirty work. A bit innocent. He can get the ball a bit deeper, carry it. Ball bounces off him when you would like him to hold it up against CB's.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I'm not saying Isak can't develop and adapt that side of his game.  As he is still young and has the size for it if he filled out a bit and got more used to the league.  But when Wilson was missing, I thought it was noticeable how much our build up play in the final third suffered.  He wasn't a focal point or causing much of a nuisance.  

Aye.

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

I thought he looked amazing against Liverpool and him having to go off probably cost us at least a point. However, they play a really high line and don’t defend in numbers. Well, they certainly weren’t at the time. 

I remember watching him against Palace and bits of Bournemouth. Thinking he wasn’t really occupying the CB’s and he wasn’t playing much between the posts. The fact both sat deep and the a lot of the attacking play was poor all round didn’t help. But he was a big part of that. 

Yep. Against Liverpool he was able to get in behind a lot.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Yeah I thought his movement against Liverpool was generally good but the two home draws he seemed a little static and easy for the CHs to mark him out the game.

Yep.

And when he gets on the ball, it's often deeper and a little wider. Wilson gets the ball CF up against CB's.

Wilson's a bit dirty. Plays like he's come through the divisions.

• 3 weeks later...