Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

1 minute ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Bayern 9-2 up [emoji38]

I like the relentlessness.

Good start for Kompany there, after all the cheeky comments about him getting the gig.

Dinamo Zagreb used to be a pretty handy side back in the day. I remember they gave us all we could handle in the 97 CL qualifiers.

Sadly teams from Eastern Europe just cannot compete anymore, the financial chasm has made it impossible. Who were the last genuinely top side to emerge from Eastern Europe? Dynamo Kiev in the late 90s?

we will never again see the days of Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade winning the European Cup, and that is not something that sits well with me tbh.

28 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I'm sure this has been covered but why are some of the EFL Cup games tonight/tomorrow and the rest next week? Presumably something about Europe but not all the teams playing next week are in Europe. Why not just play them all next week?

Because all of the champions league teams are playing this midweek and all the Europa League is on next week. So europa teams play Carabao this week as no europe for them and Champions League teams will play next week as no europe for them that week. Why we are playing next week and not this week? Fuck knows probably trying to have even amount of games in both weeks

Edited by Pokerprince2004

Early days, but I find it harder to get excited over this UCL league system rather than group stages. Having a 36 team league feels like a mess. A group of 4 teams and 6 games meant that each game was even more important, you now have 8 games to make sure you get through, and 24 teams out of 36 will progress from this stage.. I'm sure the final 2 games of the league stage will bring some excitement though.

Edited by Erikse

13 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Early days, but I find it harder to get excited over this UCL league system rather than group stages. Having a 36 team league feels like a mess. A group of 4 teams and 6 games meant that each game was even more important, you now have 8 games to make sure you get through, and 24 teams out of 36 will progress from this stage.. I'm sure the final 2 games of the league stage will bring some excitement though.

I quite like it just because of the variety. Far more interesting if you’re in it than watching from outside though.

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

Dinamo Zagreb used to be a pretty handy side back in the day. I remember they gave us all we could handle in the 97 CL qualifiers.

Sadly teams from Eastern Europe just cannot compete anymore, the financial chasm has made it impossible. Who were the last genuinely top side to emerge from Eastern Europe? Dynamo Kiev in the late 90s?

we will never again see the days of Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade winning the European Cup, and that is not something that sits well with me tbh.

Shakhtar had a pretty decent Europa winning side.