Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

A propos of nothing SSN are showing a clip of City “fans” before their match last night and it’s a proper shitfest of tourists and half and half scarfed face painted “first matchers”. 

truly horrific

50 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Argument by analogy is often a dangerous route. You’d be hard put to find any club that hasn’t at some stage been financially supported by its owners. 

The fact is that rules have been laid down to prevent clubs from spending unlimited amounts on transfer fees and players wages. If a club is ignoring those rules whilst other clubs are adhering to them then that is cheating, an unfair advantage and it should be stopped. That consideration was not around when the two gentlemen you have named were operating.

I’m familiar with the line of argument that FFP is anti competitive because it prevents clubs from challenging those who are already wealthy. The inevitable problem is that we now have a club whose objective has been to destroy the competition through almost limitless spending. And gradually and remorselessly they are succeeding. 

Ffp is not perfect- no system in a commercial world can be. But the alternative looks far worse to me.

You're defending a system that is totally anti-competitive and corrupt. The Champions League money goes to the same small cartel of clubs year on year, which extends the gap to everyone else, creating a viscious circle. Even if someone somehow breaks in, they very quickly lose all all their best players to the cartel. It is not just difficult - it is impossible for a club outside those 6 to break in and remain there by 'fair' means. There's 2 decades of evidence to back that up. 

Are you aware of how Champions League money is actually distributed? Even if we finish 3rd and Man U finish 4th, we will receive considerably less CL money next season because it is paid out based on a club's European performance over the past 10 years (their coefficient ranking). It's an absurd situation and is the reason the major leagues in Europe have had the same teams dominating for decades.

Are sugar daddy owners the solution to the problem? Yes and no. Under such a corrupt system, there is zero way to compete with the cartel by fair means.

Edited by ohmelads

Just now, gbandit said:

VAR has ruled on a ton of pathetic handball decisions and asked the ref to review them often throughout the season. Last night was one of the more blatant ones and they ignored it. Yes, his body was falling but so what? They’ve been giving them for slamming a ball off someone’s hand from three yards. The rule is a mess but the issue last night was the total lack of consistency. Was a disgraceful decision in the context of what’s been given all season 

Yeah I'm not getting that as an excuse either, most handballs aren't deliberate but it doesn't stop them being awarded even when an advantage isn't gained. The Brighton lad last night didn't flay an arm at the ball hoping to swat it away and go unseen.

Edited by Wolfcastle

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

Argument by analogy is often a dangerous route. You’d be hard put to find any club that hasn’t at some stage been financially supported by its owners. 

The fact is that rules have been laid down to prevent clubs from spending unlimited amounts on transfer fees and players wages. If a club is ignoring those rules whilst other clubs are adhering to them then that is cheating, an unfair advantage and it should be stopped. That consideration was not around when the two gentlemen you have named were operating.

I’m familiar with the line of argument that FFP is anti competitive because it prevents clubs from challenging those who are already wealthy. The inevitable problem is that we now have a club whose objective has been to destroy the competition through almost limitless spending. And gradually and remorselessly they are succeeding. 

Ffp is not perfect- no system in a commercial world can be. But the alternative looks far worse to me.

You obviously haven’t educated yourself Gibson literally kept Man U alive and set everything up for them to do well under Busby and Sawyer bought Liverpool out of them Division 2. Not supported, Major investments to take the team forward.

FFP is the thing destroying it not Man City. It doesn’t care about teams going bust it’s there to stop teams competing on a fair playing field with those at the top

Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. wanted to be able to dominate the teams around them financially and limit the competition. Also the media like Sky want to promote their ‘big’ clubs round the world so they are happy to promote the myths.

The alternative where multiple teams can have a go. The teams in the prem struggling only have issues because of FFP they have owners who will write it off (Only Chelsea can do that).

FFP doesn’t care if you are hundreds of millions in debt like Man U or Barca because you are one of the few the rules benefit. 

9 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Think we'd prefer a draw tonight? Or anything but a Spuds win?

As long as we win I don't care. 3rd place would be beautiful.

Edited by nemtizz

20 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Think we'd prefer a draw tonight? Or anything but a Spuds win?

Draw for me. Don't want either of them to get even a sniff of momentum.

1 hour ago, Scotty66 said:

Kane, Son and Richarlison all start for Spurs, mad that they haven't played that more this season. Lethal front 3 when they all click. 

Tbf, I was just thinking it was mental Richarlison cost £60 million and hasn't scored one PL goal this season.

He's a brilliant scrapper, mind

18 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Tbf, I was just thinking it was mental Richarlison cost £60 million and hasn't scored one PL goal this season.

He's a brilliant scrapper, mind

Their best player tonight by a mile.