Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

https://theathletic.com/4600507/2023/06/22/pundits-are-not-there-to-act-as-fans/?source=user-shared-article

Excellent write-up from Michael Cox re this utterly tedious craic. 

All this is very peculiar considering there’s an absolute deluge of fan-driven content online these days, particularly in video format. But television, rather than attempting to provide an alternative to that noise, is trying to replicate it. It genuinely feels like broadcasters who pay billions for the rights to show Premier League matches have been rattled by the likes of ArsenalFanTV and believe they should use experienced ex-players in a similar way.

Perhaps, just as they’ve largely given up on making football-related shows (Soccer AM, Sunday Supplement and Goals on Sunday are no more), broadcasters have also realised few people want proper analysis of a match. Maybe the objective is now to create short clips that will go viral, and ultimately internet video content is a contest to shout the loudest. Clearly some people enjoy this type of punditry. People certainly engage with it, although much of the engagement is surely people sharing it to say how much they dislike it, or sharing it to wind up other fans. The pundits probably enjoy it too, although that’s inevitable — it’s easier. Analysing a game properly and coming up with original points is difficult; acting like a generic fan requires comparably little effort.

At the same time they are being badly outflanked by people who actually know something about football and provide a much better standard of analysis than they do. Ironically those people are the most popular on social media, podcasts and YouTube. 

Trying to get a funny Gary Neville clip to go viral is a shite way to respond to that, IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

https://theathletic.com/4600507/2023/06/22/pundits-are-not-there-to-act-as-fans/?source=user-shared-article

Excellent write-up from Michael Cox re this utterly tedious craic. 

Slobs vs snobs

Saying nothing vs talking pretentious shit

Having a laugh vs thinking what you're saying is important

It would be nice to get some middle ground and tbf I think Cox is really exaggerating. Micah Richards and his put on craic gets on my nerves and the fanTV style has crept in a bit but it's hardly as a replacement for analysis like, it's alongside it. 

I once played in a 5-a-side game about an hour after my wife had received a letter regarding a potential cancer scare (she was fine) and although I'm shite anyway,  the term "might as well not have been on the field" would be better applied than just having a bad game, I just basically wandered round in a daze for an hour trying not to cry.

It's an obvious fact that we do dehumanise players and expect them to perform all the time at an elite level (and often call into question not just their ability but their effort when they don't), when we actually have no idea if their dad's ill, or their wife's walked out on them, or they've just had the dog put down.

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I once played in a 5-a-side game about an hour after my wife had received a letter regarding a potential cancer scare (she was fine) and although I'm shite anyway,  the term "might as well not have been on the field" would be better applied than just having a bad game, I just basically wandered round in a daze for an hour trying not to cry.

It's an obvious fact that we do dehumanise players and expect them to perform all the time at an elite level (and often call into question not just their ability but their effort when they don't), when we actually have no idea if their dad's ill, or their wife's walked out on them, or they've just had the dog put down.

I was the opposite , though it wasn't as soon as that, but there have been on going situations and when I played I seemed to give it more, I found it easier to get to the point where everything was intuitive and free of thought . lve said before about using football (and music) as a respite, to remove myself from the situation temporarily and it worked for me. Its possibly why being outside and exercising is seen as a great first stop therapy for many things. 

Ah he comes across like a decent dude. I’m sure he’s getting a contract he can’t turn down there. Be very surprised if he was loaned back to anyone. They want those players over there.