Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

19 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

With regards to being a mascot - I didn't realize that club's charged for the privilage? Surely it would be better to pick bairn's from the locale (perhaps from less well off backgrounds) and give them a proper experience, without making money off the back of it?

I saw this on Facebook so pinch of salt on reliability 

cost of being a mascot 

image.thumb.png.5cfcdc9090eef3f83508c9b6d5772de5.png

1 hour ago, gdm said:

I saw this on Facebook so pinch of salt on reliability 

cost of being a mascot 

image.thumb.png.5cfcdc9090eef3f83508c9b6d5772de5.png

West Ham have a fucking cheek, like.

Stadium costs vastly subsidised by taxpayer and still charging 700 quid to be a mascot [emoji38]

Joaquín has announced he's retiring at the end of the season - at the age of 41. He's just 7 games away of becoming the player with most LaLiga games of all time (it's currently Zubizarreta). Given that he plays very little nowadays (his role is more of a victory cigar), and there's just 9 games left, I fear he'll miss the mark. Legend, nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Village Idiot said:

Joaquín has announced he's retiring at the end of the season - at the age of 41. He's just 7 games away of becoming the player with most LaLiga games of all time (it's currently Zubizarreta). Given that he plays very little nowadays (his role is more of a victory cigar), and there's just 9 games left, I fear he'll miss the mark. Legend, nonetheless.

Hope he gets it, like. What a player.

Would Betis have much to play for in the final few games?

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Manchester United and Manchester City are facing calls to amend their badges amid suggestions that the boats on their motifs are linked to slavery.

It's a made up story to get clicks and fewm.  There's not a single source in the sun article.

4 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

It's a made up story to get clicks and fewm.  There's not a single source in the sun article.

From a quick search there’s a Guardian opinion piece where the writer suggests they should change the badges. This has generated 20 tabloid articles saying that ‘fans are revolting against a campaign to replace the badge’. There’s no campaign just one article. 

Culture wars 101. Man yells at cloud stuff.

13 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

From a quick search there’s a Guardian opinion piece where the writer suggests they should change the badges. This has generated 20 tabloid articles saying that ‘fans are revolting against a campaign to replace the badge’. There’s no campaign just one article. 

Culture wars 101. Man yells at cloud stuff.

Yeap, this is why every tweet etc can't be taken at face value nowadays.

sounds like there’s fuck all in it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/19/manchester-united-city-badge-change-slavery-links/

“Manchester United and City are facing calls to amend their badges amid suggestions that the boats on their motifs are linked to slavery.

Anti-discrimination campaigners have called for interrogation into potential links between the logos and the city benefiting from the trade. Lemn Sissay, the Manchester poet,  said "we are all looking closer" and has suggested his city "needs to know it" if the ships represent slavery.

Ged Grebby, chief executive of Show Racism the Red Card, added that he "welcomed" a debate around what the symbols on the shirts represent.

Suggestions that the logo should be removed were raised in an article in the Guardian. “As someone from the diaspora of Jamaica, I have been on a mission to hopefully force the change and removal of slave ships featured on both Manchester City and Manchester United’s club logos, plus the City of Manchester council,” a reader letter to the newspaper said.

United and City declined to comment in response, although a source close to the clubs told Telegraph Sport there are no plans to review logos for either teams.”

Pretty ridiculous. Manchester was arguably at the fore front of the slave abolitionist movement too. They were saying on Novara, that people literally risked their own destitution and starvation rather than work with cotton picked by slaves. But yeah I agree wits Basically just trying to get clicks.

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

Pretty ridiculous. Manchester was arguably at the fore front of the slave abolitionist movement too. They were saying on Novara, that people literally risked their own destitution and starvation rather than work with cotton picked by slaves. But yeah I agree wits Basically just trying to get clicks.

But even they did great work for abolition, that wouldn't necessary mean they didn't benefit hugely from slavery and/or the ships aren't slave ships, would it? I don't know the details like, but in principle. 

Celebrating anything to do with British industrial history of that era is always going to bring you very close to some very dodgy industries and wealthy families built off colonialism, slavery and exploitation. Definitely not exclusive to Manchester.