League Cup 4th Round - Newcastle Utd v AFC Bournemouth (20/12/22 @ 7.45pm)

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Finishing 2nd still isn’t winning. I’d rather fall away and win something then fall away and win nothing.

I'd rather finish in the top 4 above winning a domestic cup. Top 4 means progression a cup win would be great but there have been loads of odd teams that have won the league cup and look at them now. Didn't Wigan win one. 

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I'd rather finish in the top 4 above winning a domestic cup. Top 4 means progression a cup win would be great but there have been loads of odd teams that have won the league cup and look at them now. Didn't Wigan win one. 

We've not won a trophy in well over 50 years, I'd take us dropping to 17th if it meant we won the League Cup.

Finishing 4th isn't a memorable, winning a trophy is.

12 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Wigan won the big one.  I’d give my right bollock for an FA Cup win.  It’s worth remember that NUFC literally played reserves and chucked in the towel in their league title tilt in order to win the cup in 1951.

For most of the history of football in England the FA Cup was THE trophy to win.  I’ll be honest, I know what the league means and therefore it’s the one to win - but winning the FA Cup at Wembley will be more emotional.  Losing the FA Cup Final in 98 and 99 hurt more than blowing the title in 96 and coming close in 97. 

Thank God after being absolutely shattered today, we have Eddie and the lads in less than 48 hours.

And thank God its Eddie and not the  bacon stupid cabbagehead monster instead in charge of us. I'd have happily quit and not watch another game of football till the next world cup comes around if he was in charge.

Edited by nufcjb

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Wigan won the big one.  I’d give my right bollock for an FA Cup win.  It’s worth remember that NUFC literally played reserves and chucked in the towel in their league title tilt in order to win the cup in 1951.

For most of the history of football in England the FA Cup was THE trophy to win.  I’ll be honest, I know what the league means and therefore it’s the one to win - but winning the FA Cup at Wembley will be more emotional.  Losing the FA Cup Final in 98 and 99 hurt more than blowing the title in 96 and coming close in 97. 

Yeah but it's not now, the FA Cup is not what it was.  Under Ashley, I would have taken a cup win over top 4, but now, for us to grow so we might win many cups and titles we need to finish in the top 4, if we finished where we did last season for example and won the FA Cup we would still attract a slightly higher quality of player.  Finish 3rd with what the media say about our wealth we can attract anyone that doesn't have their heart set on Barca or Real Madrid.

I've been going since late 70s.

I'd take a League Cup win + relegation over a second finish every day of the week.

Maybe it's an old c??t thing but I'm desperate to see us win something. Anything.

8 hours ago, manorpark said:

Yes it is, most definitely.

Finishing second in the best league in the football world, and then in the years after that following it up with . . .  ! ! !

GLORIOUS indeed!

Mmm, we finished second in the Prem twice (first one hurt more than the cup losses for me—even the Arsenal one, which I was convinced we’d win) and followed-up with not very much of note—bar SBR working a bit of magic. We’ve also had two (well three) FA Cup final losses, in living memory (for some). Plus a League Cup final loss (which some can recall). Think I’d take a cup win and 7th. Bank a trophy and hope to build. Most would have taken 7th at the beginning of the season. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Guest reefatoon
12 hours ago, JLC said:

I've been going since late 70s.

I'd take a League Cup win + relegation over a second finish every day of the week.

Maybe it's an old c??t thing but I'm desperate to see us win something. Anything.

[emoji38] Christ, what a dampener that would put on a cup win. Sounds fucking awful.