Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

Seemed to play for a draw whilst using the minimum energy required and got it. Poor result and performance in isolation but it pretty much guarantees us through to the knockouts which we should be fresh for. 

4 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Is this racism?  Or would that be a bit unfair?

Having watched AFC and CONCACAF in the past footballing culture of Middle East teams and Central America is honestly surprisingly similar. There really is a lot of gamesmanship and pushing the boundaries to win. I think if he had caveated it with 'footballing culture' it would be fine. 

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Having watched AFC and CONCACAF in the past footballing culture of Middle East teams and Central America is honestly surprisingly similar. There really is a lot of gamesmanship and pushing the boundaries to win. I think if he had caveated it with 'footballing culture' it would be fine. 

Apparently in Italy and Argentina, they take pride in their ability to cheat. Didn’t know if it was necessarily the same in Iran.

Gamesmanship is a thing in absolutely loads of countries regardless of where they are and the populace. Klinsmann just came across as rather bitter toward Iran I thought; seemed incapable of admitting they were the better team. They also played well within the limits and didn’t need to kill the game or be snide which makes it even border.

But that he’s still wearing a white t shirt under a dress shirt in an air conditioned studio says all we need to know about him. Shudder to think of the state of his box fresh trainers.

I tend to lean on the side of 'couldn't give a shit' about England. 

However, I got well excited for this. Proper looked forward to it all week. I went out and bought snacks. hoyed my phone on silent. 

Proper dull. Only got myself to blame. 

50 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

You watched the Premier league lately ??

Im not saying cheating doesn’t happen. But the reaction is very different. I’ve seen Argentine journalists say, the reason why that game against England, is so special, aside ofcourse from the political backdrop, is because “the two goals perfectly encapsulates the Argentine character, both of them. On one hand you get the brilliance of Maradona dribbling past the whole England team, on the other hand you get the the hand of god, that cunningness, is a bit of us too”.

perhaps that is changing though, you can see on this very forum people do seem to take pride in “gamesmanship”.

here is an interesting vice article.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/nek83w/is-cheating-in-soccer-more-acceptable-in-some-countries-than-others

Edited by Rafalove

6 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Im not saying cheating doesn’t happen. But the reaction is very different. I’ve seen Argentine journalists say, the reason why that game against England, is so special, aside ofcourse from the political backdrop, is because “the two goals perfectly encapsulates the Argentine character, both of them. On one hand you get the brilliance of Maradona dribbling past the whole England team, on the other hand you get the the hand of god, that cunningness, is a bit of us too”.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/nek83w/is-cheating-in-soccer-more-acceptable-in-some-countries-than-others

Shithousery isn't cheating ??

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Also club football is about building a style, fluidity and intensity over that extensive period. Over years and year even. I'm always amazed people watch international football and expect the same thing. It simply doesn't happen from any of the teams really. They're a bunch of players hoyed together. You will always get duff performances.

I'm not sure this really applies to England, the majority of this squad have been together for every international break for years and Southgate picks the same players all the time. For the majority of time they do look like a bunch of players hoyed together when going forward though. 

4 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

The Wilson change of heart was because Maguire went down injured, nothing to do with them scoring. Wilson was about to come on, Maguire went down, he brought on Dier instead. 5 minutes later Wilson came on anyway.

Could have just added the Maguire change to his original substitution.

With England, there's always some weird clamour for one particular player. Was Grealish last time, now Foden. I think Foden's a phenomenal player but there's a sense he's very wedded, understandably, to the Man City system. He has never done it for England and it's understandable Southgate went first to players who have.

Would have been Maddison folk were moaning about last night if he'd been fit btw.

3 hours ago, Rafalove said:

This bit from the Vice article evidently predates the Australian ball-sandpapering episode.

"Hernandez’s cheating admission provoked a particular outcry in Australia, a country which prides itself on the traditional values of sportsmanlike conduct. For Australians, it’s embedded deeply into the national psyche that it’s not only important to compete hard but compete fairly. “It’s because Australian sport prides itself on the gladiatorial aspect,” Huw Bonello, a journalist for Daily Telegraph Australia, told VICE Sports via email. “No matter what the odds are against you, you play hard but always fair. That’s how you are respected.”"

29 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

What does traditional forward mean? 

For me, your Shearer, Kane, Hatley, Bull type.

4-4-2, wingers, jumpers for goal posts. That kind of shit. 

Certainly not a Kane playing 70%of the game in midfield. 

We've got a very talented bunch of young players way more suited to a fluid 4-3-3, imho

Caveat being my statement at the start of that post. 

"I haven't got a scooby" ?

7 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Playing TAA with no striker [emoji38]

The few times we actually looked dangerous were when Trippier played Saka in behind the fullback.

One my issues with Southgate with yesterday's game was why England didn't use Trippier's deadball ability. They have excellent dribblers - Sterling, Saka, Bellingham, Kane is no slouch at dribbling. Get the ball and run at the US defenders in front of the penalty box and draw fouls. Two or three fouls in the right area and Trippier would have put one in.