Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

Just now, Dokko said:

Plenty of that at the back. Thought one of those tackles was a declaration of war! :lol: Know what you mean though, tidy finish aside from Weah, there doesn't seem much upfront, certainly no leadership.

Will it be a bitter match, US vs Iran? It's a really interesting group, tbf.

I think U.S.-England is likelier to be nasty from our fans’ perspective. :lol:

You’ll have a few dickhead Yank fans who try to make the Iran match political, but I don’t think there’s any real ill will there. We’ve only ever played them twice before.

Just now, Kanji said:

Our CBs were our weakest link - the American press loves to gush over Zimmerman who's bang average anywhere but MLS. Perhaps doesn't work having 2 Box to Box mids with Adams sitting? Need a proper #10 like Gio in there to create and Sargent was great for our goal but he's not a target man, which we seemingly don't have / didn't bring. Berhalter's plan went to shit in the second half, not surprising. 

We couldn't kill the game off in the first half when they were shit scared of our press. We should have won today but there's a chance we will struggle to breakdown Iran and then lose after a try-hard performance to England. 

Yea, I'm expecting a fucking beatdown Friday against England. A draw there and a win against Iran would be ideal.

Just now, Tomato Deuce said:

I think U.S.-England is likelier to be nasty from our fans’ perspective. :lol:

You’ll have a few dickhead Yank fans who try to make the Iran match political, but I don’t think there’s any real ill will there. We’ve only ever played them twice before.

Also makes no sense now given the Iranian players are all about standing up against the current regime too.

Just now, McDog said:

Yea, I'm expecting a fucking beatdown Friday against England. A draw there and a win against Iran would be ideal.

Our only hope, hopefully Wales get hate-fucked by England and somehow draw versus Iran. 

Makes such a big difference watching England with a couple of Toon players in the picture. Was buzzing every time they got involved today. 

Players I really like as well, unlike the likes of Owen and Dyer who really pissed me off towards the end of their time at NUFC. 

9 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

:lol: gonna be mad forever about that fucking foul 

Was the pivotal moment in the game tbph, stay on your feet and close down or dive in and give the goal away. Was a 2 point mistake, get that decision right and you're looking comfortable for the last 16

I was at work during the game, but just watched the highlights. My initial thoughts from that and the bit of the first half I caught:

• A goalkeeper with normal length arms saves Iran's first goal. How much longer can we get away with having a midget who can't reach the bar in goal?
  • Bellingham looks mint. January transfer buy for us? :cheesy:
  • Wilson's pullback for Grealish was class. If that's Kane, he selfishly spunks that chance away. Really not that enamoured by Kane at all.
  • Tripps is still absolutely top class and an absolute joy to behold. Our Captain :smitten:.
  • Sako looked good.
  • Maguire looked OK, but wasn't tested at all In Defence. Same goes for Shaw. Not convinced they'll get a ride as easy as that one, yet they still leaked two goals against a shocking Iran side.

Could someone who actually watched the game give me a steer as to how off the mark I am? Cheers lads.

Kane was excellent today despite not scoring and creates a lot of goals. He’s certainly not selfish (well accept maybe when he’s going to extreme lengths to claim goals in a golden boot race). 

Would have liked to see Foden start, but happy with Southgate today. The 4-3-3 was excellent and I hope he persists with it against the better sides, especially given there’s solid defensive cover in midfield. Saka offers so much in directness and end-product and Bellingham’s ability combined with maturity at 19 is ridiculous. 

Edited by St. Maximin

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I was at work during the game, but just watched the highlights. My initial thoughts from that and the bit of the first half I caught:

• A goalkeeper with normal length arms saves Iran's first goal. How much longer can we get away with having a midget who can't reach the bar in goal?
  • Bellingham looks mint. January transfer buy for us? :cheesy:
  • Wilson's pullback for Grealish was class. If that's Kane, he selfishly spunks that chance away. Really not that enamoured by Kane at all.
  • Tripps is still absolutely top class and an absolute joy to behold. Our Captain :smitten:.
  • Sako looked good.
  • Maguire looked OK, but wasn't tested at all In Defence. Same goes for Shaw. Not convinced they'll get a ride as easy as that one, yet they still leaked two goals against a shocking Iran side.

Could someone who actually watched the game give me a steer as to how off the mark I am? Cheers lads.

I'd say those were fair comments.

I think a lot of people seem to be getting carried away. For understandable reasons, the Iranians weren't in the right frame of mind, and their defending was a bit shambolic. 

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

There's literally never been a good American Zimmerman.

honestly never understood how often American sports writers wanted to big this guy up for accomplishing hang average of nothing  

1 hour ago, Interpolic said:

Astonishes me when people slag off Kane like :lol: he's very easily England's best player and almost everything he does in a match is perfect. Scores loads of goals and then you get games like today when he assists a couple instead. 

You realise the drivel written about Newcastle isn’t actually that bad when it comes to England like. Not only that I can’t ever remember him not turning up for the national team. Even when he’s been shit, like the early Euro games, he doesn’t hide or shy away. 

I don’t like him as a player as he’s snide and doesn’t play for us but he’s probably gonna become record scorer during the tournament in 40 less caps than Rooney or 20 less than Charlton.

Griefing him after today is mind bending like even incorporating bias to certain players. 

The worst thing about the World Cup is seeing takes on social media from Americans who only watch football once every four years. At least the equivalent people in the UK end up talking about soldier's wages when we lose, rather than that the US would win if they picked a load of NFL running backs.

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The worst thing about the World Cup is seeing takes on social media from Americans who only watch football once every four years. At least the equivalent people in the UK end up talking about soldier's wages when we lose, rather than that the US would win if they picked a load of NFL running backs.

That sounds class Tbf :lol:

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

our absolute mediocrity continues to upset you for absolutely no reason. It’s amusing; also I can’t agree more and I hate most of the casuals hot takes anyway but social media is pure trash anyway. Shit takes from a bunch of people looking for likes and retweets.