Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

Before the season started, I was of the view that top half would be good, steady progress. As we've done so well, I struggle to think of what is reasonable progress given the backstory etc.

Gut feel is that anything in the top 6 is probably over-achieving tbh so I'll be delighted with that.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Chelsea are poor everytime I see them.

Spurs are poor every time I see them.

Arsenal

City

Man U

Liverpool

Finish above one of these and we get CL football.

It's criminal that we're only 4 points ahead of Chelsea.

Erm, 9 points ahead of Chelsea, no?

Edited by ChrisMcQuillan

I agree that Chelsea and Spurs should fall away. I can’t see Spurs strengthening much in January as Conte is probably out in the summer. Chelsea will strengthen to a ridiculous degree but it’s no guarantee of anything, the one position they need is a 1 in 2 striker and I’ve not seen any links for them there 

8 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Aye, looking to be a tough battle at the bottom and it's glorious we don't have to worry about it 

Said this exact thing yesterday. Really nice to be able to enjoy an open relegation battle without any fear that we'll be dragged in.

Teams I used to look out for (or equivalents) - Southampton, Bournemouth, Forest, Leeds

Teams I thought we'd be directly competing with this season - West Ham, Leicester, Villa, Brighton

Teams I now look out for - Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea

I think that says an awful lot tbh

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Kicking someone out of the top 4 matters. Kicking them outside Europa or Conference - does not.

I think it still has a psychological impact

The so called big 6 will be no more and we can then target top 4 next 

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Leicester did it twice. West Ham did it.

Finish top 4. We can start to eat their dinner. That's what really matters.

Yeah, but this would be a bit different and those sides wouldn't have been expected to at the start of the season and more a case of them over performing and one or two big 6 sides not doing so. The top 6 know that eventually we are coming, and once we do, we'll very likely stay there, whereas there was more chance the other no tradition big 6 sides would quickly fall away. Our pre season title odds were in line with the likes of Arsenal and Spurs and miles clear of 8th favourites Leicester, and if we get top 6 this season, and continue to go about our business, I'm not sure we'll ever see 6 teams deemed more likely to win the league than us for as long as the Saudi's are here.

Finishing top 6, even 6th, this season would be a massive statement of intent at this stage of our 'project'.

2223.thumb.png.af1bca3fe58893d8936a19d3f28c47a2.png

15 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, but this would be a bit different and those sides wouldn't have been expected to at the start of the season and more a case of them over performing and one or two big 6 sides not doing so. The top 6 know that eventually we are coming, and once we do, we'll very likely stay there, whereas there was more chance the other no tradition big 6 sides would quickly fall away. Our pre season title odds were in line with the likes of Arsenal and Spurs and miles clear of 8th favourites Leicester, and if we get top 6 this season, and continue to go about our business, I'm not sure we'll ever see 6 teams deemed more likely to win the league than us for as long as the Saudi's are here.

Finishing top 6, even 6th, this season would be a massive statement of intent at this stage of our 'project'.

I'll believe it when I see it. There's still no guarantee PIF will spend big, and we're up against rules designed to inhibit potential big six challengers. Regularly challenging for 7th-5th seem possible by means of just being a well run club, but breaking into that all important top 4 season after season will take something else.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Leicester did it twice. West Ham did it.

Finish top 4. We can start to eat their dinner. That's what really matters.

Those were never really going to be able to capitalise on it though. Leicester regularly get their best players taken by the top sides whenever they do well they aren't much of a concern to the top 6. We won't be the same, we will only get better and invest more and that will scare them. Within one year we've gone from bottom of the league to top 4, that's huge.

8 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. There's still no guarantee PIF will spend big, and we're up against rules designed to inhibit potential big six challengers. Regularly challenging for 7th-5th seem possible by means of just being a well run club, but breaking into that all important top 4 season after season will take something else.

I was talking about becoming a regular top 6 team, whether that be 4th, 5th, 6th, and not a team that will have one good season, but then could easily finish 11th or 12th the next season and nobody would really bat an eye lid. Most of the top 6 clubs have had seasons outside the top 6 over the past 13 years or so to make way for West Ham having one season there, Leicester having 3, Everton maybe once or twice, us under Pardew - Chelsea have finished 10th, Arsenal and Liverpool 8th, Man Utd and Spurs 7th etc. but near enough 9 times out of 10, as individual clubs, they will finish in the top 6, and be expected to at the start of the season, but soon I don't think that will be the case, and someone like say Spurs in a couple of years will be 7th favourites in the title odds, or top 6, or top 4 odds at the start of the season, and they won't be used to that.

Obviously finishing in the top 4 this season will be much more significant and powerful, but given the hype of the takeover, and away fans expectations, I genuinely believe if we finish in the top 6 this season then that will be a statement of intent, and the one or two 'big' clubs we finish above will be concerned about their potential standing in the English game going forward.

21 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

You haven't obviously been taken much notice of what the owners have been saying about their ambitions then.

Here’s the end of December update. Tracking progress towards 56 points (seemed appropriately ambitious in June!) taking into account quality of opposition (on previous season’s position) and home/away fixture variation. 
FE6DB820-3B73-4F3A-A9E3-EA60F7F85747.thumb.jpeg.1f56876f63ad0d72e9c8d6938d025fdd.jpeg8 points ahead of target, at turn of year.