57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Say we achieve a miraculous result and end up in champions league places, what are peoples thoughts on the repercussions of that. 

I imagine it will bring forward spending plans, the champions league income will help us with ffp, but also the significant extra workload on the players. How would this affect peoples expectations. Look at West Ham, they are really struggling this season partially because last season they got to european final and it exhausted the squad (from a west ham fan I know's explanation at least) and now competing on too many fronts.

I would anticipate going out in group stages and ending up in europa league in first season, even with boosting squad would think managing a bigger squad which rotates more, i think we could have a little tougher of a season. I wouldn't be upset, even if we do that well this year does not mean will always be the case and will be steady going before we are consistently pushing for top 3 spaces. 

I do worry though, what happens if Howe really struggles first european campaign and out league form suffers too because of it? I hope owners and fans will be patient, but...will they?

I don't rate West Ham or Moyes that highly, IMO they over-achieved last season so I wouldn't use them as a barometer. It was like the season when we finished 5th under Pardew.

If we get CL then we are are there to stay IMO. Just look at the football we are playing already with players who were destined for relegation a year ago. The best thing that ever happened to us was Unai Emery bottling the job offer. Eddie Howe is the best manager we could have wished for.

Do you think the mid-season break will help or hinder us?  It can go either way really

Positives:

Gives players like Isak more time to recover and others some rest.

Any players we bring in Jan will have more games, so in theory can have more of an impact

Negatives:

Loose momentum - we are definitely the form side atm.  Six weeks is a long time.

It gives other sides the chance to strengthen, and time to train.

Players who go to the WC get tired towards the end of the season due to the number of games.

5 minutes ago, duo said:

Do you think the mid-season break will help or hinder us?  It can go either way really

Positives:

Gives players like Isak more time to recover and others some rest.

Any players we bring in Jan will have more games, so in theory can have more of an impact

Negatives:

Loose momentum - we are definitely the form side atm.  Six weeks is a long time.

It gives other sides the chance to strengthen, and time to train.

Players who go to the WC get tired towards the end of the season due to the number of games.

It’s a positive for me, the intensity we play and press at means a 6 week break at this stage is ideal. Also 6 weeks to get Isak, ASM and Shelvey right up to fitness. Only Bruno out of the internationals will have a long tournament as well imo.

26 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s a positive for me, the intensity we play and press at means a 6 week break at this stage is ideal. Also 6 weeks to get Isak, ASM and Shelvey right up to fitness. Only Bruno out of the internationals will have a long tournament as well imo.

I agree - I also think we'll strengthen in Jan.  

Howe has already hinted at strengthening in January. He said something along the lines of having discussion in the coming weeks about a plan for January.

As always, we should be trying to clearing a few out; Fraser, Ritchie, Lewis.

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Think we’ve got a shot at 4th but I’ll take 5th or 6th, Liverpool will come good you’d assume. Spurs might spend again in Jan along with Man U.

I’ll take Anything 8th or above - if teams below us win games in hand then there’s only three points or between a few of us with us having to play arsenal twice yet and we’re not half way through the season. Long long way to go yet and let’s say we loose some momentum at some point and finish say 8th - I just hope people don’t overreact.

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I’ll take Anything 8th or above - if teams below us win games in hand then there’s only three points or between a few of us with us having to play arsenal twice yet and we’re not half way through the season. Long long way to go yet and let’s say we loose some momentum at some point and finish say 8th - I just hope people don’t overreact.

agree some people have started to say that 8th is a failure, many of whom originally ruled out a top-6 challenge.

what we have done is shown we can compete. We haven’t shown we can compete all season yet though. But I think by showing the first part it’s a great platform to start with and this season is therefore already a huge success no matter what happens

6th or above I would be chuffed with to be honest!

I know we are in the clouds at the moment, but at the start of the season I think most fans would see this as massive progress. Also, don't forget many more quality players to come! We will only get better with each transfer window, providing we keep Eddie and his staff!

What a weekend Newcastle are friggen 3rd in the league and England just won 20 over World Cup. :indi:

1 minute ago, Caleb70 said:

6th or above I would be chuffed with to be honest!

I know we are in the clouds at the moment, but at the start of the season I think most fans would see this as massive progress. Also, don't forget many more quality players to come! We will only get better with each transfer window, providing we keep Eddie and his staff!

What a weekend Newcastle are friggen 3rd in the league and England just won 20 over World Cup. :indi:

Agreed, also arguably our biggest window to come next summer as I think we have around ten players out of contract so with wage bill and numbers reduced, along with new kit sponsors and a £70m infrastructure investment then we have a bit more wiggle room to push on again.  Any European places earned this season for me is just cream on the top of the inevitable.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Agreed, also arguably our biggest window to come next summer as I think we have around ten players out of contract so with wage bill and numbers reduced, along with new kit sponsors and a £70m infrastructure investment then we have a bit more wiggle room to push on again.  Any European places earned this season for me is just cream on the top of the inevitable.

I think next summer it's only Ritchie and Gillespie. The summer after that is the mad one.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Shelvey can be as fit as he likes, he'll still conceede possession all game on Wednesdays showing, he was a disgrace.

Qualifying for Europe this season could definitely be a double edged sword. I don’t expect us to change transfer plans to drastically for Jan, but finishing top 6 has got to have implications for the summer window. I’d think the identified targets might be changed rather than just adding more bodies because that’s just not how Howe would go about building on this squad. With that being said we might see an extra player on top of what was already planned if we are to get an extra run of games, nothing drastic like 7/8 or coming in though. A Europa league run would be better off imo as the style of play can be adapted and we can be more flexible on starting 11s against the lower level teams we would encounter in the group, would take the stress off of fitness levels more so than a CL group would allowing us to retain more league form. Also gives us an extra 2 windows to build again before we think about the challenge of the CL. 

The current squad would struggle with extended cup run at the moment let alone Europe, the depth just isn’t there to handle the extra stress on fitness with another 5 or 6 games thrown into a busy PL run. The way we play week in week out in the league just isn’t sustainable with extra games, it’s a simple fact. After the summer we could be talking differently though, if we add 2 in Jan and 4/5 in the summer it’s absolutely a game changer. We have to remember the balance that has to be kept though, FFP is always looming over our heads.. people expecting stars signed for 70/80m because we qualified for Europe are in fantasy land. 

On the case of if the WC will help or hinder us, I’m swayed to thinking it benefits given our current league position. The top 6 sides will have far more internationals going deeper into that tournament than us and its a fucking World Cup, they will be playing out of their skin. We get a chance to keep the vast chunk of our squad at home, but of course sides like Brighton have the same. The biggest question for me is how well we get back into form post WC.. we have a decent run of games to pick up where we left off. Fingers crossed everyone comes back fit and stays fit, Bruno, Botman and Wilson are absolutely the key 3 for me with the likes of Trips, Schar, Miggy, Joe and Willock not far behind. If we get lucky with injuries and pick up again quickly who knows where we could end up.

Edited by Nine

The way NUFC are going right now, no team will fancy playing them. Based on recent results the Toon are a chance against anyone, including Arsenal and City. Howe has done an amazing job with the squad he has but I suspect there’ll be a couple of quality signings in Jan to help maintain momentum. Anything less than fourth would be a disappointment now.

We have a decent run of games post World Cup and in and around January-early February. Well in with a shout of CL depending on who we bring in in January.

Bournemouth (h) (LC)

Leicester (a)

Leeds (h)

Arsenal (a)

FAC 3rd Round 

Fulham (h)

Palace (a)

West Ham (h)