The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

Some of the press (Holt and co) will push like mad for Eddie Howe to fuck us over.

Don’t think you’dpush Howe just to fuck us over - that’s pretty disrespectful to Howe and his achievements to be fair.

i love him but if he was linked it would be deserved.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Can't believe anyone thinks Howe could be pressured into taking the job by the fucking press. No fucking chance man.

This. There is zero chance of it happening.  Literally less than zero. 

Edited by cubaricho

Man, that's disappointing. 

Need time to digest that, but initial thoughts:

• Very even game, 99 times out of 100 Kane buries a 2nd penalty and we take that to extra time, then who knows
  • Disappointing subs - Mount for Foden is insane (even though he won the penalty), and waiting til the 96th minute to bring on Grealish was so frustrating. Not impressed at all
  • No shame in going out to the best team left, and we took them all the way, but really hurts as a missed opportunity. 
  • I think it's probably time for a change in manager. Huge respect for everything Southgate has achieved and the results he's gotten in tournaments - absolutely deserves credit for that. I just don't see where we go from here in terms of that final push. Just needs freshening up now imo. Easier said than done though as we could easily change and lose some of the special feeling this group has got. Tricky decision - glad it's not mine to make.

Southgate doesn’t need to leave.

We were well in that game and the better side imo. We did take the game to them (as much as you realistically can against the world champions) and didn’t play a back 5 and retreat. Tactically we mastered Mbappé. I couldn’t really have asked for more from Southgate to be fair. We were really unlucky and most times out of 10 we win that game imo.

Southgate has evolved this tournament. Promising signs. We aren’t getting anyone better either.

Edited by Smal

Just now, Pata said:

There was 15 minutes left! :lol: Howe wouldn’t think ’Ahh shame, that’s that then.’

Well neither did Southgate. The point I'm making is that I don't believe any sub would've made an impact, regardless of who. The penalty totally knocked the stuffing out of the vast majority of them. 

1 minute ago, dave s said:

i don’t want him to go, and i don’t think it’s the right time in his career to take the job, but I reckon Howe would win a tournament with that set of players we have at the minute 

No doubts there for me - but he won’t leave even if offered.  Same for Potter at Chelsea.

I’d be sorely tempted to see if Pochettino or Tuchel would take it

Just now, Gawalls said:

Don’t think you’dpush Howe just to fuck us over - that’s pretty disrespectful to Howe and his achievements to be fair.

i love him but if he was linked it would be deserved.

Fair point but i dont think you realise how much some of the written press hate us.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Aside from the fact a grown man and multimillionaire didn’t have the foresight to hire security for a few grand when every criminal in Britain knew he was 2 continents away, what the fuck did he go home for? To rebuild his barber shop or check his Rolexes were still there or what? 

Likely his last WC and the manager has shown more faith in him than anyone in his career. It’s baffling.

I see you've gone full Ronaldo in your time away. 

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Eni Aluko is an idiot like. "Should someone else have taken it?" No :lol: 

That’s just stupid, especially when Kane usually hits them so well that keeper has no chance.

Forget about Southgate staying or leaving, forget about the crap substitutions, forget about the horrendous referee.

Can we instead just ban ITV from showing England games?  Commentary worse than a state funeral and we lose more often than we win when they're showing the games.

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

and thats exactly the problem with southgate's thinking.

its never about form and what we need at the time. its all abut his favourites.

sterling has offered little for the past 12 months.

In my opinion I think that’s been part of the success he’s has since taking over. He builds teams rather than changing players in and out depending on poor runs with their club side unless they’ve been really out of the loop. 

I came into the tournament on his back with some of the selections and he’s been proven right again for the most part. Pickford and Maguire being two who’ve represented us at international level well again despite being utterly shite in the league. 

I’m not sure there’s anyone out there that’ll be jumping at the chance for the England job that could do better with this group of players. 

1 minute ago, ikri said:

Forget about Southgate staying or leaving, forget about the crap substitutions, forget about the horrendous referee.

Can we instead just ban ITV from showing England games?  Commentary worse than a state funeral and we lose more often than we win when they're showing the games.

Crazy to think that Mcoist also co coms on ITV and hes amazing.

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m going to get pelters, but I thought the ref was alright tbh.  There was a consistency to his approach, he tried to let the game run, and England were constantly looking for fouls and flung themselves to the deck at every opportunity. 

That's fucking bollocks mind.

A clear foul in the build up to their first goal and on Kane in the 1st half alone.

If that was a Newcastle game, you would be fuming.

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Eni Aluko is an idiot like. "Should someone else have taken it?" No :lol: 

Ivan Toney is trending on Twitter. The best thing about England being out is the sharp reduction in absolutely dogshit takes and no nowts going back to not paying attention.