The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

620 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

11 minutes ago, James said:

We don’t demand a club that wins, we demand a club that tries.

Well let me tell you this.

I am fucking ecstatic that we are third in the league with three games left.

I am fucking ecstatic to be in Europe next season.

I am fucking ecstatic that we played in our first cup final for 25 years.

I am fucking ecstatic that the threat of relegation is now someone else’s problem.

I am fucking ecstatic that we have dominated most games we’ve played.

I am fucking ecstatic that scoring four goals or more in a match is not a rare event.

I am fucking ecstatic with our goal difference. Liverpool have won 9-0 and 7-0 this season and still have a worse goal difference than us and I am fucking ecstatic about that.

I am fucking ecstatic with our defensive record.

I am fucking ecstatic that I get to watch Bruno and Isak and Trippier play.

I am fucking ecstatic that I am able to love all our players and all our coaches.

so even if these last three games are a step too far, I end the season and I am still fucking ecstatic and not upset at all.

Champions League would be caviar on top of the fucking cherry.

3rd Place would be my fucking jizz on the fucking caviar.

Fucking Amen.

You not heard Longstaff is injured?

12 minutes ago, James said:

I am fucking ecstatic that the threat of relegation is now someone else’s problem.

I am fucking ecstatic that scoring four goals or more in a match is not a rare event.

I am fucking ecstatic with our goal difference. Liverpool have won 9-0 and 7-0 this season and still have a worse goal difference than us and I am fucking ecstatic about that.

I am fucking ecstatic that I am able to love all our players and all our coaches.

so even if these last three games are a step too far, I end the season and I am still fucking ecstatic and not upset at all.

Fucking Amen.

Are you ecstatic mate? You seem ecstatic 

15 minutes ago, James said:

Fucking Amen.

Look at me, look at me, I'm a positive polly. 

Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Alberto2005 said:

We can't end up in the conference league.

I had a notion this morning to check where Partizan Belgrade are likely to end up. Turns out it's there. So thank fuck for that. 

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I still think people give too much value for top 4, in NUFC case. We haven't made a budget counting to it and not promising players UCL football yet. Yes, it perhaps would push our plans ahead a year or two, but with PIF's resources we will end up in top 4 eventually anyway. Any other result would be a total disaster. They are rebuilding the whole club from the training ground up. After waiting for so long for success and already getting to 1 cup final, at least I myself can wait a bit longer. We are top team for good now.

Dropping out of CL is of course a big hit for established teams, and teams like Spurs and Chelsea will suffer, especially Chelsea given their spending. But Liverpool for example are in decent shape FFP-wise, they will still attract better players than we do, and for the moment pay bigger salaries, even in UEL. 

And yes, it would be great to see us end in Top4. Some here just seem to take it a bit too seriously.

16 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I still think people give too much value for top 4, in NUFC case. We haven't made a budget counting to it and not promising players UCL football yet. Yes, it perhaps would push our plans ahead a year or two, but with PIF's resources we will end up in top 4 eventually anyway. Any other result would be a total disaster. They are rebuilding the whole club from the training ground up. After waiting for so long for success and already getting to 1 cup final, at least I myself can wait a bit longer. We are top team for good now.

Dropping out of CL is of course a big hit for established teams, and teams like Spurs and Chelsea will suffer, especially Chelsea given their spending. But Liverpool for example are in decent shape FFP-wise, they will still attract better players than we do, and for the moment pay bigger salaries, even in UEL. 

And yes, it would be great to see us end in Top4. Some here just seem to take it a bit too seriously.

People see CL qualification as being the catalyst for the owners going mental, but I don’t think summer will be drastically different whether we finish fourth or fifth.

We’ll be able to attract a higher calibre player and the purse strings will be loosened a little, but FFP is going to dictate much of what we do. Leicester’s current plight is largely a result of them qualifying once, chasing the CL for a few seasons and being hobbled financially when they missed out.

I desperately want us to be there, because the thought of Wor Flags flying as the CL theme plays gets me absolutely rock hard. I don’t think it’s going to define the next few years in any sort of meaningful way though.

Tell you what I know if we lose out to Liverpool on GD we will all be moaning about the VAR in the Liverpool game however in my opinion the real blame would lie with our imbecilic former captain Scott Parker

CL will further legitimise the project worldwide. Help get us better commercial deals. Attract a higher calibre of player. All of which will help to increase the leash on FFP.

The project's legitimacy is why we already have the likes of Botman, Bruno & Isak. The CL opens another calibre of player up.

8 minutes ago, christ said:

People see CL qualification as being the catalyst for the owners going mental, but I don’t think summer will be drastically different whether we finish fourth or fifth.

We’ll be able to attract a higher calibre player and the purse strings will be loosened a little, but FFP is going to dictate much of what we do. Leicester’s current plight is largely a result of them qualifying once, chasing the CL for a few seasons and being hobbled financially when they missed out.

I desperately want us to be there, because the thought of Wor Flags flying as the CL theme plays gets me absolutely rock hard. I don’t think it’s going to define the next few years in any sort of meaningful way though.

No it's not.

9 minutes ago, James said:

Tell you what I know if we lose out to Liverpool on GD we will all be moaning about the VAR in the Liverpool game however in my opinion the real blame would lie with our imbecilic former captain Scott Parker

Bournemouth losing 9-0 more of a disgrace than Man Utd losing 7-0?

9 minutes ago, James said:

& @froggy's lot.

From memory, we've given out a higher number of postings. But they've had 2 gigantic ones.

15 minutes ago, christ said:

Owners won't go 'mental' per se but the difference in the income between Champions League and Europa League is massive. From the prize money for winning or drawing matches, to the sponsorship, to the wider international interest. It'd almost be a hurdle overcome in regards to the 'fair market value' sponsorship craic.

It isn't. The state of Leicester City is down to a multitude of reasons; their owners King Power hemorrhaging money due to COVID, abysmal squad management in contracts, signings and outgoings, Rodgers' management for the last 18 months and general underperformance on the pitch.

CL now would fast track us exponentially. It's been a memorable season already but I'll be devastated if we don't make it now. After 28 matches we were 10 points clear of Liverpool with the same games played, if they finished above us there's no way you could dress it up other than a bit of a collapse a la Leicester in 2019-20 and 2020-21. Arsenal last season to a degree as well. And that'd be hard to stomach no matter how well we've done this season. 

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

CL will further legitimise the project worldwide. Help get us better commercial deals. Attract a higher calibre of player. All of which will help to increase the leash on FFP.

The project's legitimacy is why we already have the likes of Botman, Bruno & Isak. The CL opens another calibre of player up.

No it's not.

It is. Don’t respond to me any further.

23 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Owners won't go 'mental' per se but the difference in the income between Champions League and Europa League is massive. From the prize money for winning or drawing matches, to the sponsorship, to the wider international interest. It'd almost be a hurdle overcome in regards to the 'fair market value' sponsorship craic.

It isn't. The state of Leicester City is down to a multitude of reasons; their owners King Power hemorrhaging money due to COVID, abysmal squad management in contracts, signings and outgoings, Rodgers' management for the last 18 months and general underperformance on the pitch.

CL now would fast track us exponentially. It's been a memorable season already but I'll be devastated if we don't make it now. After 28 matches we were 10 points clear of Liverpool with the same games played, if they finished above us there's no way you could dress it up other than a bit of a collapse a la Leicester in 2019-20 and 2020-21. Arsenal last season to a degree as well. And that'd be hard to stomach no matter how well we've done this season. 

We haven’t collapsed like Leicester though, who we’re getting pumped off Steve Bruce’s Newcastle as they tumbled out of the top four. Our form has been good. It’s just that Liverpool are on an absolutely ridiculous run.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer. A single season - and it likely would be because we have a lot of rebuilding to do before we could compete on two fronts - isn’t going to totally alter the equation when it comes to who we buy and how much we spend.

The owners have been very careful and I would expect that to continue, to the point that if we do qualify I expect this place to be fucking unbearable during the window when we don’t completely overhaul the squad.

5 minutes ago, christ said:

We haven’t collapsed like Leicester though, who we’re getting pumped off Steve Bruce’s Newcastle as they tumbled out of the top four. Our form has been good. It’s just that Liverpool are on an absolutely ridiculous run.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer. A single season - and it likely would be because we have a lot of rebuilding to do before we could compete on two fronts - isn’t going to totally alter the equation when it comes to who we buy and how much we spend.

The owners have been very careful and I would expect that to continue, to the point that if we do qualify I expect this place to be fucking unbearable during the window when we don’t completely overhaul the squad.

Not saying we have collapsed, but it'll feel like we have if we don't get there. We could lose tomorrow and it'd still be in our hands with two bottom half teams to play.

Europe in whatever form was going to alter the equation though, the squad needs padding out a tad with 3-4 first team quality players coming in.

I agree with both of your last points, they will be careful and this place is fucking unbearable most of the time tbh. :lol: One thing the club and Howe will have to manage is the increase in expectations but that's par for the course imo. Top 7 or 8 next season should be the aim, at least some form of Europe. It was what I thought we should be targeting at the start of this season given we've been in top 4 form for 18 months.

Really feel like we owe Liverpool after the Keegan 4-3, the numerous pastings they've given us over the years, our horrendous record at Anfield and definitely for that game back in August - the thought of that costing us Top 4 knocks me sick.

Honestly if we do this whilst they've won their final 9 games will be the sweetest thing ever. It all comes down to tomorrow in my opinion. Absolutely massive.

I would compare my main concerns to what happened to Sunderland last night. Whilst not comparing the situation in terms of the magnitude, but the knock on to the immediate future. They had to come up this year now they've got this far or they won't for a few years, the Championship will be far stronger next year, Leicester, Everton/Leeds and even Southampton coming down will be up there, there's no way WBA, Norwich and Watford are as bad next season, and that's before you take into account whoever misses out on the play off final, Luton and Boro are established as being up there must seasons now, and there'll be on or two other decent sides who wd haven't thought of yet, ala the Mackems this season. They'll be stuck there now.

For us, whilst long term our future is incredibly bright, if we miss out on the Champions League this year I think it'll be a good few years until we get there again, now I know we're ahead of the project, and tbh finishing top 10 and a decent cup run was what I said I'd be happy with at the start of the season, so it's about perspective, but fucking hell man we're so close, I want to see us in the Champions League next season so bad, it'll be amazing. So if we do miss out, next season there's no way Liverpool and Chelsea will have as bad a season, Villa and Brighton are in it for the long term now, City are City, Arsenal, whilst maybe not going as close to the title again next season will be a shoe in for top 4, depending on what Spurs do they could be a lot better and Man Utd will only get better now they have a competent manager. We could easily finish 7th next season, which would necessarily be a failure but I'm just saying.

Now obviously we could improve as well  and hell we might just miss out this year and go one better next season, but my gut tells me we're not going to have a better chance, at least in the next 2/3 maybe 4 seasons to make Champions League so we need to take it.

Edited by NUFCDoog