The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I think  we have a very good chance again this year. Almost 2 years of EH management has shown that we don't get the Bruce/Pardew streaks of 5/6 straight losses. Yes there might be a few dodgy games, but he's never got in to a slump, and there's always optimism that well win the next game

Dunno why but I barely worry about anyone else now, just really enjoy all things Newcastle.

Come the business end I definitely start paying more attention as it becomes more pertinent. But I'm just enjoying the ride and love taking it game by game rather than worrying about what's going on around us.

Also, I love you Eddie Howe.

6 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Scary to think that Villa are only now about to enter a great run of fixtures. As if they weren't already having a great time.

They have only played against 3 teams that finished in the top 10 last season so it will even out.

If we'd hung on to take 3 points against the bin dippers we'd be in a title race now, even considering a tough start to the season.

We still could be in one.

If you offered me 6th, and European progression I'd take it right now.

Edited by Karjala

11 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Scary to think that Villa are only now about to enter a great run of fixtures. As if they weren't already having a great time.

Would hardly say that Spurs, Man City and Arsenal in their next seven games is a “great run of fixtures”.

Just now, NSG said:

Would hardly say that Spurs, Man City and Arsenal in their next seven games is a “great run of fixtures”.

4 of the next 5 are Luton, Forest, Fulham, Bournemouth so I think that's long enough to define a 'run'

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think City and Arsenal have looked as dominant this season and with more clubs up there competing I think the league will be won in less points than last year, I also think we are capable of picking up more points than last year, considering we drew 14 games in the league last season.

We got 10 points iirc from Chelsea and Spurs. Thats a tall order to repeat this season. 

With the way things are looking at the moment, does anyone else feel like maybe we are moving away from a top 6 format into more of a top 10 format?

With the traditional top 6 plus us, villa, Brighton, and west ham competing for the top spots more evenly going foward?

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Villa are a very good, well coached outfit. Whether they can hit 70 points over the course of a season is different matter.

We are averaging over 2 points a game in the 12 months (as of last week) since Emery came. I know it's not the same exactly, but it is a good indicator.

39 minutes ago, t00nt00n313 said:

With the way things are looking at the moment, does anyone else feel like maybe we are moving away from a top 6 format into more of a top 10 format?

With the traditional top 6 plus us, villa, Brighton, and west ham competing for the top spots more evenly going foward?

It is getting much, much more competitive at the top end, as the likes of us and you are starting to look like fulfilling potential after spending a decade stinking of death, there's Brighton also looking decent as the wild card too, and even Spurs looking decent.

It's way more interesting than watching the 'big four' engaging in a circle-wank year after year.

1 hour ago, NE27 said:

Dunno why but I barely worry about anyone else now, just really enjoy all things Newcastle.

You know, that's the best way to be.

I don't look around us and thinking "oh they're doing this, and they're doing that" but just enjoy a prolonged period of being really good rather than the preceeding very, very long period of being shit.

44 minutes ago, t00nt00n313 said:

The traditional top 6 were all capable of sustained title challenges and have vastly superior commercial incomes. Us, Villa, Brighton and West Ham are not at those levels. Fortunately Spurs, Man U and Chelsea have been taking turns in fucking things up recently, opening up 3rd-6th somewhat. Think they're still capable of closing out those positions more often than not.

Stats stats etc, but our expected points total is 19, joint top with Man City (who's expected points is also 19).

It can sometimes feel like we're lacking in areas, but we consistently create chances while giving very little at the other end. More so than any other side in the leage, which although not the full story, it's not worthless info either.

Our highest xA was Villa, who had an xG of 1.49. We've never had a game so far this season where we've been expected to concede more than 1. We've been expected to score 2 or more in 7 games.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I think if any team has a bad blip or poor run of form this year, there will be plenty of others to take advantage. So it will all be about being consistent and hoping injuries and suspensions don't hurt us too badly. 

40 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Stats stats etc, but our expected points total is 19, joint top with Man City (who's expected points is also 19).

It can sometimes feel like we're lacking in areas, but we consistently create chances while giving very little at the other end. More so than any other side in the leage, which although not the full story, it's not worthless info either.

Our highest xA was Villa, who had an xG of 1.49. We've never had a game so far this season where we've been expected to concede more than 1. We've been expected to score 2 or more in 7 games.

Aye I'm not usually one to obsess over stats but our underlying numbers have been really good throughout so far.

Even the one comfortable defeat at Brighton where we were terrible relative to what we are used to seeing was actually weirdly close in terms of xG - far closer than last year where we got away with a lucky 0-0.

One thing I would say, if Aston Villa lost Ollie Watkins, I don't think they have anyone to fill the void.

Although we have lost Harvey Barnes, and Tonali is likely to be suspended. I feel we have options for most areas should we lose a player here or there. Our options off the bench are miles better these days.

Edited by mighty__mag

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

One thing I would say, if Aston Villa lost Ollie Watkins, I don't think they have anyone to fill the void.

Although we have lost Harvey Barnes, and Tonali is likely to be suspended. I feel we have options for most areas should we lose a player here or there. Our options off the bench are miles better these days.

Same can be said for us with Bruno though. Every team (aside from City) have that one player who if injured for a prolonged period would spell disaster for their season.

3 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Same can be said for us with Bruno though. Every team (aside from City) have that one player who if injured for a prolonged period would spell disaster for their season.

City has been mediocre without Rodri too.

4 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I thought ours would be Botman, luckily I was wrong.