The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Keep forgetting that we still have to play West Ham twice and Chelsea have to play Liverpool twice.

Which, to be honest, hurts more than helps our chances. It will be between us, Liverpool and Spurs for the final place. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Keep forgetting that we still have to play West Ham twice and Chelsea have to play Liverpool twice.

Also didn’t realise that Chelsea play Fulham next Thursday, which is actually quite handy as gives Fulham a bit less prep time before playing us on the Sunday.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Also didn’t realise that Chelsea play Fulham next Thursday, which is actually quite handy as gives Fulham a bit less prep time before playing us on the Sunday.

True, but Mitrovic is suspended for that game. Could've done with him being suspended for our game.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Which, to be honest, hurts more than helps our chances. It will be between us, Liverpool and Spurs for the final place. 

Aye, probably. Have to be picking up the points in our next 4 ahead of when Liverpool come up here.

The potential volume of games this month could be a problem; Sheff Wed, Leicester, Fulham, Palace, potential LC semi 1st leg, potential FA Cup 4th round game, potential LC semi 2nd leg, West Ham. God forbid Sheff Wed take us to a replay.

I don't think Arsenal are all that. They're good, very good, but I haven't watched them thinking they look like champions. Spurs, Man Utd and Man City in their next 5 games and if they start stuttering there, Brentford and Villa look awkward games. If they get through the next 7 still top they'll have done very well.

I think they look great but we all know that mentally they’ve been the weakest of the ‘top’ clubs for a decade. I don’t think it’ll take much for them to start faltering, if they drop more points in at least two of the next five games I think they’ll start panicking and their level will drop 

4 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

The way Chelsea played last night make me wonder how they are right down in 10th. 

One of those things though isn’t it, played at their absolute highest level because they were up against the best. They can’t maintain that level. Also, they were extremely organised but they offered fuck all going forwards. There’s not a huge amount of goals in that side 

That Fulham game won't be easy. They've won three in a row since the break, including victories at Leicester and Palace. They have the incentive of reeling us in if they win too.

I think we'll win, but should be tighter than the reverse fixture.

Just now, The Prophet said:

That Fulham game won't be easy. They've won three in a row since the break, including victories at Leicester and Palace. They have the incentive of reeling us in if they win too.

Agreed. They went down to 10 pretty early on in that game as well

Just now, The Prophet said:

I also think it'll be tougher than some think and they will have a better squad to choose from, than when they went down to 10 early and we pumped them 4-1.  

However, the Palace game they played against 9 for half an hour and were already 1 up at the time, playing against 10, when Tomkins got sent off.  Then an 88th minute winner against a dreadful Southampton side.  Finally, they were lucky at Leicester by the looks of it based on the highlights I saw, I'm not sure how Leicester didn't score. 

I know it's a results business and they are over-achieveing with some great wins this season.  But they've conceded plenty of goals, I don't think they'll do a Leeds/Palace/Bournemouth and I fancy us at home against pretty much anyone in the league nowadays. 

Obviously we have a big EFL Cup match on Tuesday, but Fulham have their derby with Chelsea on the Thursday before they play us which might help (us) a bit. Quite a tight turnaround and you can guarantee that will be a massive focus for them, but yeah, not an easy match and they do have a few very good players. Confident at home though.

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think Arsenal are all that. They're good, very good, but I haven't watched them thinking they look like champions. Spurs, Man Utd and Man City in their next 5 games and if they start stuttering there, Brentford and Villa look awkward games. If they get through the next 7 still top they'll have done very well.

Of all the teams we've played so far, their movement gave us the most problems IMO.  I think we only managed about 33% possession over the 90 mins+ which is not like us these days. Obviously other teams have more firepower than them, but they already have a healthy lead at the top, if City don't win it, then I would think they must be next favourites.

We need to buy good players, either way. 

Being in Europe brings increased revenue streams and makes it easier to attract decent players. 

I’m not sure a defeat to Sheff Wed makes me think Europe is a bad idea. I really don’t understand how fans can think like Mike Ashley and Alan Pardew FFS. 

28 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This match is the perfect example of why top 4 is beyond us this season.

Sample size of one game. Where we changed 8 players and actually dominated the game for the most part. 

Versus 18 league games and a good few league cup matches. 

Seems a bit knee jerk, to me. 

If we don’t sign anyone this window. Then I’d tend to agree. But I think/hope we will get a couple in. 

While there is no doubt that we have deserved our success this season, tonight’s display and result just shows how fine the margins are for us and how quickly the wheels could fall off and momentum swing the other way. Not gonna lie, I am worried about Tuesday now as we have applied some unwanted extra pressure on ourselves.

30 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We need to buy good players, either way. 

Being in Europe brings increased revenue streams and makes it easier to attract decent players. 

I’m not sure a defeat to Sheff Wed makes me think Europe is a bad idea. I really don’t understand how fans can think like Mike Ashley and Alan Pardew FFS. 

You'd imagine we'll be 4-6 players different by the end of August though. The better the European competition, the stronger those players are. The likes of Burn, Schar, Willock, Wilson will be the players coming in for games like this rather than being the ones being rested.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You'd imagine we'll be 4-6 players different by the end of August though. The better the European competition, the stronger those players are. The likes of Burn, Schar, Willock, Wilson will be the players coming in for games like this rather than being the ones being rested.

Exactly. Which was why I quoted the original poster. As I found the logic a bit odd. 

46 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Exactly. Which was why I quoted the original poster. As I found the logic a bit odd. 

I understand the flip side as well. Just that I’ve seen clubs like Leicester and West Ham have really good seasons, qualify for Europe and then make a mess of both Europe and the league the next season. 

I still really hope we get top 4 though.