Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle United: 21/01/23 @ 5:30pm - Live on Sky

11 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Jesus, how did that team beat anyone 

If memory serves me right, we were the much better team in the 1st half. The 2nd half was all them, and they should have scored and win the game, but we scored twice late on.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

One of my favourite ever Beardsley goals. Nothing better than when he used to throw that shimmy.

Beardsley > …

Absolute trademark. Weird for such a simple jink it was never nullified. It helped I suppose that he could do it either way being two footed. Wish more players were.

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Beardsley > …

Absolute trademark. Weird for such a simple jink it was never nullified. It helped I suppose that he could do it either way being two footed. Wish more players were.

The level it went to without defenders being able to do anything about it was insane as well.

That goal against Villa is a borderline Laurel and Hardy comedy sketch or something :lol:

34 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I was about 14 at the time. So might be remembering it wrong. But I’m sure these two looked decent as a partnership for 4-5 weeks. Then Shearer returned from injury, despite being well past his best and that was that. 

24 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I was about 14 at the time. So might be remembering it wrong. But I’m sure these two looked decent as a partnership for 4-5 weeks. Then Shearer returned from injury, despite being well past his best and that was that. 

Unfortunately that’s a totally myth about Kluivert, he was fat and lazy, he had no interest in putting a shift in and was just after another club to graze off.

The .com match report for this game sums him up https://www.nufc.com/html/2004-05html/2004-11-20crystal-palace-a.html

Then souness fell out with Bellamy, Robert and half the squad and sadly

a good team was totally wrecked in about 6 months

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

Unfortunately that’s a totally myth about Kluivert, he was fat and lazy, he had no interest in putting a shift in and was just after another club to graze off.

The .com match report for this game sums him up https://www.nufc.com/html/2004-05html/2004-11-20crystal-palace-a.html

Then souness fell out with Bellamy, Robert and half the squad and sadly

a good team was totally wrecked in about 6 months

Both were true. I think Kluivert showed some of what we were missing while also being a big fat problem in his own right. That's why I said earlier in the thread, it was a weird time at the cub. We were like rats in a sack with all kinds of resentments boiling over. Maybe the most telling thing was Bellamy's palpable delight to be playing alongside him rather than having his talents sacrificed to fit Shearer into the main man role.

Edited by 80

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

A win that was massively helped by Palace being unable to locate any of their goalies that day and having to hoy in Cockney Dave who was passing by on his way to the Old Kettle & Pan wearing his, early, Sports Direct trakkie